SO, what do you think: a Clip firmware revision out by Sept. 15?

So, as many of you know, it’s been about 6-1/2 months since the last Clip firmware revision.  In the meanwhile, firmware revisions/advances wanted for the Clip have come out for the Fuze and, most recently, for the Clip+.

SanDisk recently noted that the firmware Updater is being revised to recognize the Clip+, to be out by Sept. 15.

So, what do you think:  are the stars aligning for a Clip firmware upgrade to come out by Sept. 15 as well?

SanDisk?

Deffinitely there will be upgraded firmware but I dont think it will be out soon because of the Sansa Clip+ will be released.

I think the stars are aligning for Sept. 15.

:wink:

@miikerman wrote:

Let’s hope it’s not an overcast evening! :wink:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

Let’s hope it’s not an overcast evening! :wink:

I heard that they are going to announce a new firmware for the original clip as ‘mandatory’.   As soon as it goes through the update process, it causes the clip to self-destruct; not un-like the tape player at the beginning of each “Mission Impossible”.   :smileyvery-happy:

As long as we all are covered by warranty and new Clip+ units are sent as replacements.  Although, having said that, I like my glowing ring and ring indicators.

:slight_smile:

Come on, SanDisk–word from you?

Come on Marvin,  theres a new kid on the block, your living in the past now   lol. !   New clip + = 4 gig clip + slot    -.1 inch deep   + funky cludgy square buttons  - cool round buttons.         

That pretty much marks the end of the old clip…   Say hello to the new clip+      Forget about firmware upgrades on the old clip.   It’s the way it is.   accept it :stuck_out_tongue:  lol

@niko_sama wrote:

Come on Marvin,  theres a new kid on the block, your living in the past now   lol. !   New clip + = 4 gig clip + slot    -.1 inch deep   + funky cludgy square buttons  - cool round buttons.         

That pretty much marks the end of the old clip…   Say hello to the new clip+      Forget about firmware upgrades on the old clip.   It’s the way it is.   accept it :stuck_out_tongue:  lol

I am starting to think that will be the case. Then again, I even have thought about selling my Clip:dizzy_face:…not because of the update situation, but because of the subpar EQ implementation. My mind is nowhere near made up, and it has nothing to do with the firmware situation, or the updates being on the Clip+ and not the original Clip. If I do sell it, I would certainly consider a Clip+ next summer, for the times outside.

But I’m spoiled now by having a great custom EQ and enhancements on my non-Sansa, being able to use any pair of headphones I own knowing I can get them to sound good.:wink: And we’re heading into strictly inside weather season.

Given that it’s been 6-1/2 months since the last firmware upgrade and given that the Clip+ firmware overlaps that of the Clip, I could see SanDisk upgrading the Clip firmware–there is a huge user base out there. 

Word from you SanDisk?

@miikerman wrote:

Given that it’s been 6-1/2 months since the last firmware upgrade and given that the Clip+ firmware overlaps that of the Clip, I could see SanDisk upgrading the Clip firmware–there is a huge user base out there. 

Word from you SanDisk?

I doubt it, but maybe one more which probably won’t be extensive. Reasons why:

1. The Clip is now obsolete, it is not in production anymore.

2. Developers need to work on Clip+ bugs/features and up coming products (SlotPlayers?,Gen2 Fuze?,Touchscreen Tap?).

3. Rockbox is available, though still buggy, for those who want advanced features.

You really think SanDisk is going to give you an answer? Head on over to the View Forum…you’ve got another 6 month+ wait to equal how long View owners have been waiting.

Except that, the Clip is a best-selling product for SanDisk, with a huge customer base.

I would hope that, given that and the overlap of the Clip and Clip+ and the seeming limited efforts needed for it, a new Clip firmware revision issues.

SanDisk?

Imo many Clip owners will be very disappointed if there won’t be a firmware update for the Clip, so my guess is that there will be a final firmware update for the Clip giving it folder browsing. My guess is that Sandisk might delay the release of this for a while, hoping that Clip enthusiasts will rush out to buy a Clip+ if the firmware update giving the Clip folder navigation is delayed a bit. Imo Sandisk is probably focusing on getting a firmware update for the Clip+ before Thanksgiving.

Perhaps Sandisk might also be planning to release some more new products before the end of the year? While it would be nice to see a firmware update for the Clip soon, I won’t be that disappointed as long as the firmware update for the Clip giving it folder navigation is out before the end of the year.

It just would be nice to actually HEAR something from SanDisk on this.

According to this post by microsansa (from one month ago today), they aren’t done with the Clip yet.

@gwk1967 wrote:
According to this post by microsansa (from one month ago today), they aren’t done with the Clip yet.

That was also before any of us knew about the Clip+…so a more current comment would be nice to hear.:wink:

@marvin_martian wrote:

That was also before any of us knew about the Clip+…so a more current comment would be nice to hear.:wink:

True, but  SanDisk knew about it. Surely microsansa wasn’t referring to the Clip+ when he said “development is continuing”. He knew we were asking for an update on the firmware status. 

Everyone here makes some very valid points. Let’s hope that since MM started this thread it will get some attention and a response from SanDisk.

I don’t know about the idea of September 15, that’s just the official availability date for the Clip+, I believe.  Implementing the anticipated updates to the Clip firmware makes sense, at least the timing issue and folder navigation do.

As we see with the release of the Clip+, the delay in updating the existing Clip comes to light.  Naturally, the QA process on the new devices took priority, and that means manpower.  At least the current Clip firmware doesn’t have anything major that borks the player, or causes it to freeze up.  It’s pretty trouble-free, which is a good thing.

The new Clip+ is very similar in function to the base Clip, so a firmware track for the rev 1 / rev 2 devices is mostly an issue of refinements, rather than nuts-and-bolts redesign.

Remember, it’s logical for the new device to have features of its own, that’s the way things go.  It does have several hardware changes, like the µSD card, and a new power switch arrangement that I really like.  It’s a breath of fresh air to do away with the slider switch.

As it is, the Clip is a few refinements away from getting my personal “two thumbs up”.  Then, it’s time to explore the new toy’s possibilities!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

This wrong speed, wrong pitch playback is unacceptable for a modern digital device.

My cheap digital watch is a hundred times more accurate.

This product is unusable by anyone who plays a musical instrument, and wants to play along with the songs on their Clip (the Clip+ has the problem too), for fun or to learn new songs. 

Who in there right mind wants to listen to there music played back off pitch/speed?

Why do most reviewers overlook this important quality problem.

The only way to keep manufacturers honest is to boycott willfully defective products like the Clip and Clip +.

I’m not a musician but I have to agree with Wavydavy.  I noticed the slow pitch in my 8GB Clip as soon as I bought it.  I figured it was just my imagination until others complained of the same thing.  There’s no excuse for it.  I design ICs for a living and if they’ve got a half decent oscillator in the Clip, and I’m guessing they do as cheap watches do, there’s no excuse for the pitching being that far off.

Sandisk not fixing it is just plain a shaft to customers.  It makes me unlikely to buy any of their products in the future, and as the guy with the purchasing card in my office, that means more than just my cash being spent elsewhere.