SMC splitting movies

I recently converted Superbad.avi and Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle.avi. SMC then split Superbad into 4 segments and Harold and Kumar into 3 segments. Is there anyway to put the segments together into one movie?

All DVD’s are split into smaller sections, or ‘chapters’. They are also split into different VOB files. And these don’t necessarily correlate to the chapter splits.

I would suggest ripping your DVD into the individual chapters and/or .vob files. You can then use VOBMerge (free) to join them into 1 large file if you want (or at least set them the way you’d like). Realize though, that the larger this file becomes that you ultimately convert, the more likely you are to encounter the audio/video ‘sync’ issue. This may require further manipulation or adjustment.

I know the file extensions DVDs use. I had these movies as one long .avi file on my PC (not .vob). When I used SMC, it automatically split the movie up. I do not know how the SMC decided to split up the movie (not chapters). In order to play the files, the player tells me I have to use SMC. (I tried just converting the movie to .mov without using SMC and drag-and-drop it onto the player.) So can I convert the movie using SMC, move the movie splits to my PC, use a program to combine the splits, and then drag-and-drop onto my player?

I am guessing VOBMerge only merges .vob files. So is there another program I could use?

Hmmm . . . I haven’t done any full-length movies, only TV shows which minus the commercials that aren’t there, are only about 17 - 26 min. long.

Seems to me I read somewhere here about the SMC splitting movies into 1/2 hour or 30 min. sections, but I can’t remember exactly where I saw it, or why it happens. Maybe it’s a limitation of some sort. I believe though, that they said the sections would play consecutively.

I’ll dig around; see if I can find that thread. Meanwhile, maybe someone else with more ‘movie’ experience will chime in.

@tapeworm wrote:

Hmmm . . . I haven’t done any full-length movies, only TV shows which minus the commercials that aren’t there, are only about 17 - 26 min. long.

Seems to me I read somewhere here about the SMC splitting movies into 1/2 hour or 30 min. sections, but I can’t remember exactly where I saw it, or why it happens. Maybe it’s a limitation of some sort. I believe though, that they said the sections would play consecutively.

I’ll dig around; see if I can find that thread. Meanwhile, maybe someone else with more ‘movie’ experience will chime in.

Hello Tapeworm,

I am thinking that perhaps you were referring to my post about SMC splitting up the movie file into 30-minute segments? Here’s the link to the thread (my post is number 8) under the topic of movie lag:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=smc&thread.id=1064

I searched on the web for any suggestions for how to combine the files into one bigger file, but I didn’t find anything that worked and ultimately, decided that it was fine to have the movie in 3 or 4 segments. The movie played the files consecutively and so the fact that there were 3 or 4 files didn’t affect the performance. Also, since the e200 series unRockboxed is limited in remembering tags, I figured it was actually easier to select the 2nd or 3rd segment when the e200 player didn’t remember where I left off in viewing the movie.

cheers

P.S. I am not sure why I’m getting an error message when I try my above link.  Anyway, if anyone is interested, the post is under Sansa Media Converter, subject is named, “Movie lag is caused by firmware not converter”.

Message Edited by mscalbear on 02-21-2009 10:42 AM