SMC Error Message

I have had my Fuze since Christmas and had no problems converting files until today.  Recently, my dad had our entire system reinstalled, so naturally, I had to reinstall many of my programs - including SMC.  Today when I tried to convert a movie file (AVI), I got this error message: “this file cannot be imported, please install the correct codec first.  if the files can playback on your computer, probably SMC does not support this format, or the file is corrupted.”

I tried various other different files - small ones, big ones, music videos, home videos, and I get this same message everytime.  I have the k-lite codec pack and others, I have Quicktime, and it does play in Windows Media Player (which is the most recent verison).  I don’t know if this has to do with anything, but my computer currently does not recognize my speakers, so there was no sound when I tried to play the video in WMP and WMP doesn’t play MP3 files.  Does anyone have any idea of what the problem might be?

Does your SMC user interface look the same as before, or did it change? (i.e. blue to all black)  There has been a software “update” recently to version 4.256.  I recently updated to this and am very unhappy with the resulting product.  I can’t find the old version to reload either.

I feel stupid saying this, but I don’t know what the SMC user interface is…

User interface is the way it looks and acts. So if it was grey and now its black thats a change in user interface. Try and remember your old SMC, what is different about the new one?

With Regard to your origional question, search the Fuze board for Video Codec.  Or check this thread

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 01-22-2009 10:11 PM

No the interface seems to be the same…it was black and it’s still black…I haven’t noticed any visible changes.

I have exactly the same problem: I get the same message [“this file cannot be imported, please install the correct codec first.  if the files can playback on your computer, probably SMC does not support this format, or the file is corrupted.”] when I try to convert an avi file, which plays just fine on my computer.  If anyone knows why this happens, please let me know.

Actually, I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM as you. Seriously. It’s almost creepy. My speakers are un-recognized and my dad reinstalled my system, too O_O

Anywho, when I went over to a friend’s house and borrowed their computer (Which had the new, crappy version of SMC, but the speakers worked) SMC worked fine. So, it’s probably just the speakers. I don’t know why or how, but It’s the common denominator here. ^_^ 

Seriously, Sansa really irritates me. That outrageous USB cord (Why does it have to be so close to the iPod’s but so far…? Plus, I’m always losing the cord and there’s no way to buy another…) and the stupid obsession with making everything all pretty-like. Remind me never to buy another Sansa product >_<

@hanyuudesu wrote:

Plus, I’m always losing the cord and there’s no way to buy another…)

Sansa cables are plentiful and in-expensive at Amazon.com and on E-Bay. Usually $3-5.

@hanyuudesu wrote:

. . .and the stupid obsession with making everything all pretty-like. Remind me never to buy another Sansa product >_<

What exactly would you prefer, something fugly & cheap looking?