Slotradio Player?

The player itself might be interesting if it becomes available without the bundled music for under $50. The Slotradio concept of having songs that can’t be deleted from the card and can’t be copied to a pc so someone can make custom cards with these plus songs from CDs seems rather limited. $40 each for Slotradio cards? Who is going to buy these?

I just read that the player has a built in battery, so I am not at all interested in it. THe Slotradio cards play in the Fuze, so there is really no reason for someone to buy this player rather than a Fuze, even if they do want Slotradio. The Fuze has many more features than the Slotradio player, and isn’t so different in price.

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-19167_1-10132002-100.html

Message Edited by JK98 on 01-09-2009 12:59 AM

If I recall, and I may be wrong, didnt SlotRadio have a screen? Perhaps its a way for those who would not buy Slotmusic with no screen to get in the game as it were?

@conversionbox wrote:
If I recall, and I may be wrong, didnt SlotRadio have a screen? Perhaps its a way for those who would not buy Slotmusic with no screen to get in the game as it were?

Maybe, but there’s a BIG price difference. Not a simple ‘step-up’.

$20 vs. $100. Quite a bit for a radio function (FM only, no AM) and a basic screen. That 100 bucks though includes a card ($40) with 1000 songs on it. While the price per song ($ .04) sounds like a good deal; it’s only worth it if you like all the music that has been ‘pre-selected’ for you. How many people are going to like all the music on the card, even if it’s the genre of your choosing. Hell, most people don’t like ALL the songs on a single CD, whether it be from the same artist or a compilation album & you’re only talking 12 - 20 tracks usually.

I sure wouldn’t spend 40 bucks on a card full of music unless I was dammed sure I liked at least 95% of the tracks on it. And where is the fun of buying it if they’re all songs you know and have heard before? And if you are not familiar with the songs or artist, maybe if you could preview all of them before plunking down your cash on it, like in record stores, then  . . . possibly. But I think the Clip is a much better deal, even without the external card slot.

For half that price, I’ve bought an e280 (8GB) player and have filled it with music on CD’s I already own.

No, I prefer to choose my own music, thank you very much. And to spend my money much more wisely. :wink:

@conversionbox wrote:

$20 vs. $100. Quite a bit for a radio function (FM only, no AM) and a basic screen. That 100 bucks though includes a card ($40) with 1000 songs on it. While the price per song ($ .04) sounds like a good deal; it’s only worth it if you like all the music that has been ‘pre-selected’ for you. How many people are going to like all the music on the card, even if it’s the genre of your choosing? Hell, most people don’t like ALL the songs on a single CD, whether it be from the same artist or a compilation album & you’re only talking 12 - 20 tracks usually.

I sure wouldn’t spend 40 bucks on a card full of music unless I was dammed sure I liked at least 95% of the tracks on it. And where is the fun of buying it if they’re all songs you know and have heard before? And if you are not familiar with the songs or artist, maybe if you could preview all of them before plunking down your cash on it, like in record stores, then  . . . possibly. But I think the Clip is a much better deal, even without the external card slot.

For half that price, I’ve bought an e280 (8GB) player and have filled it with music on CD’s I already own.

No, I prefer to choose my own music, thank you very much. And to spend my money much more wisely. :wink:

@tapeworm wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

I am not a smart shopper when it comes to technology. I dont look at cost until my mind is made up that “I GOTTA HAVE IT” then I check the cost. So I didnt even look at the cost as a factor in the practicallity of the player.

"While the price per song ($ .04) sounds like a good deal; it’s only worth it if you like all the music that has been ‘pre-selected’ for you. "

All? I think it is okay if I like at least 10% of the songs on the card. The problem with the Slotradio player is that it seems like it is not so easy to avoid the songs you don’t want(other than just clicking on the next song button). On the Fuze one could use the go list or song ratings to just play the songs that are liked.

Message Edited by JK98 on 01-10-2009 03:44 PM