Shuffling works oddly.

Hi,

When ever I shuffle my sansa fuze in play all mode it seems like I get the same awful songs.

It also seems like it never plays some songs I really like.

Does the shuffle function use an algorithm that decide what songs I hate, as that’s what it seems likes

Thanks. 

I agree with your observations. The shuffle function is not very good on the Fuze. I use it a lot, and find that it seems to find artists that it keeps going to back to for that session. I shuffle by genre mostly, and may have 1200 songs in a genre. But it will repeatly go back to the same general area of the list and hit the same artists over and over.

And yes, it does seem to hit certain songs way more than others. My wife complains about this when I shuffle through her music that I have on the player. There are songs you seem guarenteed to hear every single time, and others that don’t seem to come up, no matter how long you listen. I would love to know what the algorithm is that it uses.

One question though. If you hate the songs, why are they on your player? :smiley:

@rickw wrote:

 

One question though. If you hate the songs, why are they on your player? :smiley:

Good question. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have this same issue with my Fuze.  I need to tailor my music so that its not an issue of hitting songs I dont like.  But… I have a lot of music on there.  And hearing the same song twice during my drive to work is unacceptable for the shuffle function.

This might just be a general problem with the shuffle function as a whole…not just on the Fuze.  My pioneer head unit will replay similar songs with an MP3 disc inserted.  Or even with a USB drive hooked to it with 1000s of songs.  The only time Ive ever had shuffle do exactly as I needed it to do, was with a discman haha.  One audio cd, with one “folder”… It wouldnt play the same song twice before they were all played.  I think the added directories and what not causes issues.

J.

I deleted them. They shouldn’t be a problem now. But i’m still getting duplicate songs and not hearing some songs.

I tried rockbox and it shuffles great! Why can’t sansa firmware work that way?

It would be nice if a player could keep track of playcounts, then have an additional  special shuffle function that gives much heavier weighting to songs with a higher playcount. MP3 players are supposed to be sophisticated devices, yet most player makers think it is good enough if they just barely play files.

@nmz502 wrote:

I deleted them. They shouldn’t be a problem now. But i’m still getting duplicate songs and not hearing some songs.

 

I tried rockbox and it shuffles great! Why can’t sansa firmware work that way?

Is there a reason why you don’t use Rockbox?

I do shuffling through playlists.  I.e., I create shuffled playlists.  I use WinAmp, but others may shuffle/randomize  (YAPL doesn’t).  I’m not into “mixes”, I just have one big, random, playlist with ALL my songs on it.

Bob

 The main reason i don’t (normally) [use rockbox] is that i listen to a lot of podcasts, and, their firmware is ugly.

It also crashes randomly.

Maybe i can write my own theme to fix problem #2. :smileyvery-happy: 

@bob_engelhardt wrote:

 


@nmz502 wrote:

I deleted them. They shouldn’t be a problem now. But i’m still getting duplicate songs and not hearing some songs.

 

I tried rockbox and it shuffles great! Why can’t sansa firmware work that way?


 

Is there a reason why you don’t use Rockbox?

 

I do shuffling through playlists.  I.e., I create shuffled playlists.  I use WinAmp, but others may shuffle/randomize  (YAPL doesn’t).  I’m not into “mixes”, I just have one big, random, playlist with ALL my songs on it.

 

Bob

 

Have  8 GB Sansa fuze with card has 16 GB of music. It plays the same songs every time like clockwork on shuffle. How do you change the settings?

What is Rockbox?  I have purchased the Fuze + 8GB and find that it does shuffle properly.  It will play sometimes just the one album and than it will change to something else it is very odd as it doesn’t shuffle/mix all the music I have on the device.  Any sugguestions?

@SKidgee

Rockbox is a opensource firmware for audioplayers, unfortunately it doesn’t work with the Sansa Fuze V2 yet. You can get more infos on www.rockbox.org

The shuffle mode is no shuffling at all. I have stored my favourite CDs on the fuze and recently added 200 songs to it. But everytime I press “Play all songs” and “Shuffle: on” it’s the same order! And if I have heard the first 100 songs again and again, because shuffle is no shuffle at all, it sucks :frowning:

Can’t the Fuze just shuffle the playlist everytime I start or something?

Cheesey wrote:But everytime I press “Play all songs” and “Shuffle: on” it’s the same order! And if I have heard the first 100 songs again and again, because shuffle is no shuffle at all, it sucks :frowning:

 

Can’t the Fuze just shuffle the playlist everytime I start or something?

None of my Sansa players (Fuze, Clip+, various e200 series) work like this. They all shuffle fine. Sounds like maybe yours is not working correctly.

@skidgee wrote:

What is Rockbox?  I have purchased the Fuze + 8GB and find that it does shuffle properly.  It will play sometimes just the one album and than it will change to something else it is very odd as it doesn’t shuffle/mix all the music I have on the device.  Any sugguestions?


 I have purchased the Fuze + 8GB and find that it does shuffle properly.

You say your Fuze+ DOES shuffle properly? Mine doesn’t. I’d like to know how you got yours to shuffle properly?:neutral_face: