Shuffle Music on Fuze Plus

I have Fuze Plus 8 gig with a 16 gig Msd card with about 12 gigs of music (1500 tunes) loaded.  I keep my settings on shuffle to have a random playlist of my whole catalog.  However, there seems to be a core of 50-60 songs that play over and over again with an occasional “new” song playing intermittently.  How can I get my Fuze to play a truly random selection of my entire library?  I have tried resetting the shuffle setting numerous times which helps for a short time, then right back into the same routine.  Thanks for your help.

@rogerdm wrote:

How can I get my Fuze to play a truly random selection of my entire library?

Buy a different brand of player. The shuffle algorithm SanDisk uses on its entire line of players is less than “stellar” and different from what others use. There have been many people who have commented on this fact for many years.

Thanks Tapeworm, I was afraid I would get that answer.

Does Rockbox have a better Shuffle function?

@black_rectangle wrote:

From what I understand, yes it does.

I have tried Rockbox on two different occasions on two different players and got rid of it as fast as I could.  It sucked.  I hated using it.  But, that is just me.

Many people like Rockbox. Many don’t.

@black_rectangle wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Yes.  SanDisk’s “shuffle” is actually a pseudo-random function.  Rockbox’s shuffle, however, is a true shuffle function:  it plays every track once and only once.  SanDisk’s pseudo-random function, moreover, is poorly implemented in that it is not particularly random.  It appears that many developers have a hard time in correctly implementing a good pseudo-random function.  Samsung, for example, also had problems with this.