Shuffle algorithm

Does anyone have any idea what the logic is behind the shuffle algorithm? I use it for running, so I turn it on, go for a run, and then turn it off after about an hour.  Next day, turn it on and it’s in the middle of the song that was playing the previous day.  However, songs on the previous day’s list seem to turn up.

My questions are:  How does the Fuze decide what order to play the shuffle?  What user actions can affect the shuffle (e.g. skipping songs, playing previous, cycling the device, recharging battery etc.)?

Thanks

Edward

@zwa wrote:

Does anyone have any idea what the logic is behind the shuffle algorithm? I use it for running, so I turn it on, go for a run, and then turn it off after about an hour.  Next day, turn it on and it’s in the middle of the song that was playing the previous day.  However, songs on the previous day’s list seem to turn up.

My questions are:  How does the Fuze decide what order to play the shuffle?  What user actions can affect the shuffle (e.g. skipping songs, playing previous, cycling the device, recharging battery etc.)?

Thanks

Edward

If you’re hearing songs from the previous day, look in the music options. Shuffle is right next to Repeat, make sure Repeat is off. Starting in the middle of the song from the previous day is normal. :smiley:

Repeat is off - I repeat, repeat is off :manvery-happy:

@zwa wrote:
Repeat is off - I repeat, repeat is off :manvery-happy:

How many songs do you have on there? The only weird thing I’ve noticed is sometimes I’d hear 2 songs in a row by the same band, but not from the same album…unless it was all in my head  but I have 2,305 songs on mine

The shuffle resets if you turn shuffle off and on again.  It will also reset if you pick a new song from the list (but shouldn’t if you press skip, back, pause, turn it off).  So in those cases you are starting the shuffle from scratch and could get songs in the previous shuffle (i.e. before you reset it).  Since it’s starting on the same song I know you aren’t refreshing the database so it shouldn’t be that.

I leave repeat on and get no repeated tracks - it just reshuffles when it gets to the end of the current list and repeats the songs in a different order.

Only a couple of hundred - it’s relatively new!

@summerlove wrote:

The shuffle resets if you turn shuffle off and on again.  It will also reset if you pick a new song from the list (but shouldn’t if you press skip, back, pause, turn it off).  So in those cases you are starting the shuffle from scratch and could get songs in the previous shuffle (i.e. before you reset it).  Since it’s starting on the same song I know you aren’t refreshing the database so it shouldn’t be that.

I leave repeat on and get no repeated tracks - it just reshuffles when it gets to the end of the current list and repeats the songs in a different order.

Sounds like you’re just shuffling a playlist, and sounds like the OP might be using “shuffle all”…is that the case?

I (the OP) am shuffling all.

@zwa wrote:
I (the OP) am shuffling all.

Well, maybe try it with the repeat on, without adding any more songs. It’s worth a shot, maybe the repeat works oppositely of what I thought

@marvin_martian wrote:

@summerlove wrote:

Sounds like you’re just shuffling a playlist, and sounds like the OP might be using “shuffle all”…is that the case?

Nope, I use shuffle all, shuffle playlist, shuffle album, shuffle artist (I like to shuffle) and I’m good w/no repeats 

@summerlove wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@summerlove wrote:

Nope, I use shuffle all, shuffle playlist, shuffle album, shuffle artist (I like to shuffle) and I’m good w/no repeats 

Well, sounds like either the shuffle mode or my brain works bass-ackwards!