She lost!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_tec_music_downloading

Let’s weigh the options, shall we?

Buying a track legally for about a buck or downloading it from a file-sharing network like Kazaa or Limewire and sued by the music industry and found guilty of copyright laws and ordered to pay $80,000 (for each track/offense)!

And before you say, “Out of the thousands of people who do this, they’ll never single ME out!” . . . well, I’m sure Jammie Thomas-Rasset, mother of four thought this exact same thing.

This news article should be required reading for anyone signing up for Limewire, Kazaa or any P2P site.

Of course that will never happen.

Buying a track legally for about a buck or downloading it from a file-sharing network like Kazaa or Limewire and being sued by the music industry and found guilty of violating copyright laws and ordered to pay $80,000 (for each track/offense)!

And before you say, “Out of the thousands of people who do this, they’ll never single ME out!” . . . well, I’m sure Jammie Thomas-Rasset, mother of four from Minnesota thought this exact same thing.

This news article should be required reading for anyone signing up for Limewire, Kazaa or any P2P site.

Buying a track legally for about a buck or downloading it from a file-sharing network like Kazaa or Limewire and being sued by the music industry and found guilty of violating copyright laws and ordered to pay $80,000 (for each track/offense)!

And before you say, “Out of the thousands of people who do this, they’ll never single ME out!” . . . well, I’m sure Jammie Thomas-Rasset, mother of four from Minnesota thought this exact same thing.

Of course this will never happen. But a word to the wise . . . Big Brother is out there . . . and he’s watching. Maybe YOU!

@tapeworm wrote:

Of course this will never happen. But a word to the wise . . . Big Brother is out there . . . and he’s watching. Maybe YOU!

I got BUSTED… We settled… No News because the RIAA Didnt want it… They Looked BAD… But I have friends in the right places and the right backers… So I am the Exception Not the Rule… 

A few weeks back, I walked into work with a plastic bag containing a CD I had just bought, and the guys were like, “Nobody buys CD’s anymore!” I know at least 2 of them do the illegal torrents, and they all say, “Nobody gets caught!” So when they ask me why don’t I, rather than try to make the moral argument, knowing they will shrug it off, I just say, “I’d be the one that gets caught.”

One question that occurred to me though, is what about recording streaming audio? Another guy at work had filled his rockboxed e200 with music off Youtube, where does that fit in with the whole copyright infringement issue?

@marvin_martian wrote:

A few weeks back, I walked into work with a plastic bag containing a CD I had just bought, and the guys were like, “Nobody buys CD’s anymore!” I know at least 2 of them do the illegal torrents, and they all say, “Nobody gets caught!” So when they ask me why don’t I, rather than try to make the moral argument, knowing they will shrug it off, I just say, “I’d be the one that gets caught.”

One question that occurred to me though, is what about recording streaming audio? Another guy at work had filled his rockboxed e200 with music off Youtube, where does that fit in with the whole copyright infringement issue?

From What I know… Youtube is a Grey area… It will be tough to define legality. This is because the rules of copyright that the RIAA clings to in these cases are directly negated by the Terms of Use policy of youtube. Here is what I know for sure… When you post to youtube you agree that you are not posting copyrighted material, and you surrender any rights you have to collecting money for views, at least for the public. I also know Sony BMG and other companies post videos on youtube. Finally I know that if you post a video and a company claims its infringement, they can ask for its removal, also labels can limit the capabilities of the video so you cant embed it. Here is what I assume… That labels have to follow the same rules.

So Its kinda unclear… It will be interesting to see. 

I remember a few months back a woman had to remove the video she had posted on YouTube showcasing her baby ‘boogieing’ to one of Prince’s songs and he pitched a b!tch citing copyright infringment & threatend legal action against her.

I always thought he was a jerk anyway.

“She lost!”

That’s an understatement. What’s next, “Micheal Jackson is a bit odd.”?:stuck_out_tongue:

Message Edited by gwk1967 on 06-19-2009 02:42 PM

@gwk1967 wrote:

“She lost!”

That’s an understatement. What’s next, “Micheal Jackson is a bit odd.”?:stuck_out_tongue:

Message Edited by gwk1967 on 06-19-2009 02:42 PM

That’s the best post of the day, in all 3 forums that I read! 

@tapeworm wrote:

I remember a few months back a woman had to remove the video she had posted on YouTube showcasing her baby ‘boogieing’ to one of Prince’s songs and he pitched a b!tch citing copyright infringment & threatend legal action against her.

If you ever meet him be careful you dont step on his head… I met him 1 time and spent the whole time lookin at his Weave 

@conversionbox wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

If you ever meet him be careful you dont step on his head… I met him 1 time and spent the whole time lookin at his Weave 

The top of his head probably was about stomach level for you, right? He’s a little dude.

@marvin_martian wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

The top of his head probably was about stomach level for you, right? He’s a little dude.

Little bit taller than that… If I slouched too much I could have rested my chin on his head… or If i stuck my arm out straight at the shoulder He would have been a good leaning post. 

@conversionbox wrote:

Is this a polite way of saying he’s a pinhead?

Maybe he should have changed his name to ‘The artist formerly known as Zippy’. :smileyvery-happy:

Not a Pin Head… A person who is Vertically Challenged A LOT and at the time his pony tail was not actually his hair… If it ever is I dont know…

I always thought he had the worst excuse for a moustache I’d ever seen. He shoulda put some cream on it and let the cat lick it off. :stuck_out_tongue:

Despite all his SHORT COMINGS, and is Facial Hair exploits… he can really play! I mean Wail!

@conversionbox wrote:
Despite all his SHORT COMINGS, and is Facial Hair exploits… he can really play! I mean Wail!

Agreed…however odd he may be, he has a ton of talent…doesn’t he play most of the instruments on his recordings?

Reminds me of the discussion where i said To$$ent and was apparently according to marvinmartian “VERBOTEN”.

@nissanskyline wrote:
Reminds me of the discussion where i said To$$ent and was apparently according to marvinmartian “VERBOTEN”.

All Torrents are not Verboten… but the one you were talking about was… you just have to be careful what torrents you get.