Select codepage for ID3 Tags

Dear Sandisk,

Please add an option to select the default codepage for tags encoded in ASCII for your Sansa players.

for example:

ISO-8898-1 Latin1

ISO-8898-5 Cyrillic

ISO-8898-6 Arabic

ISO-8898-7 Greek

ISO-8898-8 Hebrew

The reason is that LAME encoder encodes the tags in ASCII eventhough they aren’t in ISO-8898-1 codepage.

Also old mp3 files that include id3v1 alone, which only support ASCII.

The result is that all the mp3 files that only consist id3v1 tag or id3v2.3 tag with ASCII encoding will be seen as LATIN1 (“giberish”)

I know the option to convert all id3 tag (i.e. open and save with MP3Tag program), but it’s not convenient.

IMHO the best solution is adding a selection of a default codepage, and make a default based on the GUI menu that is selected after firmware upgrade (i.e. Hebrew GUI -> default ISO-8898-8)

Reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3#ID3v2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_8859

Best regards,

Idan.

idan wrote:

Dear Sandisk,

Please add an option to select the default codepage for tags encoded in ASCII for your Sansa players.

for example:

ISO-8898-1 Latin1

ISO-8898-5 Cyrillic

ISO-8898-6 Arabic

ISO-8898-7 Greek

ISO-8898-8 Hebrew

I know the option to convert all id3 tag (i.e. open and save with MP3Tag program), but it’s not convenient.

IMHO the best solution is adding a selection of a default codepage, and make a default based on the GUI menu that is selected after firmware upgrade (i.e. Hebrew GUI -> default ISO-8898-8)

There are people who are totally unfamiliar with Digital Audio Players and digital music in general to the point where they register here just to ask the most basic questions like “How do I turn this thing on?” or “How do I get music onto my player?” or “How do I change the volume?” and they can’t figure out that there are more options in the various lists than show on the screen so they have to scroll down to see the rest of them.

And you want to add yet more confusion to the operations of the player? :dizzy_face:

That’s why I offered a default codepage by the GUI language selection. it should make it easier, not harder.

They could also hide that option and only make the codepage selection by the GUI language (which I think is better then the present situation where Latin1 is the only codepage).

You should probably just fix the tags on your files.  I think if you load the files in foobar and it sees that you don’t have unicode it’ll use whatever your local code page is to import them.  Then you can rewrite the tags, which should use unicode.

I wrote that I know how to do that with MP3Tag, but I think it’s far more convinient to support it on the player (as windows music players do).

as Tapeworn said, most of the people here ask questions like how to turn this thing on or change the volume, so you want them to know how to convert tags from ASCII to unicode ?

If I recall correctly, they even implement this feature in some version of the Sansa E200 (I think 1.03.01 Beta) that the codepage was determinated by the GUI language.