Seeking clarification on audiobook support

I could have sworn that this thing was supposed to support m4b.  “itunes audiobook format”  In fact, that was one of the reasons I bought it.  Am I wrong?  I have dozens of m4b audiobooks and I really want to enjoy the audiobook controls when I listen to them.  At this point, I can’t even get the player to recognize them.

When I rename the files to .AA, I get a message telling me to register the devicce with audible In order to play the file.  It is not really an AA file, obviously.  Would this be enough to trick the player into at least playing the file?  

Thanks

JTS

Audible files are actually mp3 files with ‘special’ Audible proprietary header. Even if you rename those m4b files to .aa and activate your Fuze via Audible Manager, you will still need to convert m4b to mp3 and crack the encoded header so the software will recognize them as ‘proper’ Audible files. In short, I don’t think it is posible, at least not with out some major effort (not to mention cracking those DRM code is probably illegel).

I havent’ tried the Audio books function yet - but plan to. 

Is there some particular vendor / application that’s required for this player - OR - can I go to any online book store and download it - just like a standard mp3 player.  I noticed today - there are various options from some sites I’ve seen.

How do audio books generally work with this player?

@fireball wrote:

I havent’ tried the Audio books function yet - but plan to. 

Is there some particular vendor / application that’s required for this player - OR - can I go to any online book store and download it - just like a standard mp3 player.  I noticed today - there are various options from some sites I’ve seen.

How do audio books generally work with this player?

You can play mp3 type of audiobooks like playing music, but you won’t be able to bookmark where you left and have to restart/fastforward everthing time. The only way to get the proper audiobook function (bookmark, etc), you will have to subcribe to Audible.com service and purchase the audiobooks there. Those audiobook are all DRM’ed and required you to activate it and the player (in this case, Fuze) in order to listen to it. There is no limits to how many players you put the book onto under the same account, but you can only burn it to CD three times (IIRC). You can think of it like music service, sort of.

[edit] btw, Fuze also support Overdrive, which is an ebooks borrowing system used by many libraries. You borrow eBook from the library by downloading it into your player, and the book will automatically expired after certain period of time. It is actually based on DRM’ed WMA technology.

Message Edited by ClieOS on 01-26-2009 01:33 AM

Just learn something new: audiobook CD (or any unprotected audiobook) can be ripped to mp3 files and drag/drop to the audiobook folder and works fine. Audible audiobook will required a subscription and purchase in order to used. Overdrive audiobook are usually availble from libraries (tend to be free, depends on the library) and it will expire in certain time frame.