Security lock for the Fuze family of mp3 players

Does any one know if there are plans to introduce a security lock to lock the Fuze in the event it is lost or stolen? A numeric or alpha code to input at turn on would provide some security if the device is lost or stolen. If that is not possible maybe a series of left/right/up/down clicks could aid in some level of security. I would not want my pics or songs being shared ‘all over the world’.

Nor would I want my kid’s pictures, sales receipts, DL and credit cards shared all over the world either, but it happens. But they don’t make a lock for wallets.

Many cell phones offer a number lock security system to restrict access as they can be used to run up phone bills, commit crimes, get access to bank acct. #, etc. if stolen. But mp3 players? I doubt it is seen as that high a priority.

Coincidentally, I recently saw a story on TV about a young woman competing in a grueling off-road bicycle race in Alaska. She happened to literally ‘run into a bear’ in the dark. He mangled her up very badly. Her trainer happened to come along on the trail a short time later, discovered her and tried to call 911 from her cell phone. He wasn’t able to get through. He then tried calling the race director, but the cell phone had the number lock on (911 works regardless). The injured woman was going in & out of consciousness, but he was finally able to get the code out of her and notify race officials who then relayed the info onto 911. Luckily, the woman survived and shes got a long rehab road ahead of her, but it was a very serious situation for a while.

Seconds and/or minutes could’ve made the difference between life & death in this circumstance. Luckily, things turned out well, but what if she could not have told her trainer the code? Sometimes things that are supposed to save us, end up trapping us instead.

If your Fuze gets ripped off, kiss it good-bye. It’s only a gadget; it’s not your life! There are a lot of worse things that can happen. Besides, you DO have all of your music and photos backed up on your computer, don’t you?  . . . Hmmm? :wink:

Yes I have my stuff backed up. True wallets have no lock but wallets don’t contain megabytes of data either. I choose not to carry large amounts of cash and I carry a credit card with a low limit in the event of theft and I have the option to call and cancel credit cards and other personal business related items. Cell phones will allow 911 calls with a lock feature enabled. Are you saying no one in the engineering/programming departments can program such a feature to a device designed to store not only music but personal data as well, record voice, listen to fm radio, play movies and show photos! Blackberries do these things and you can lock that device! If it is a matter of cost or just not being innovative and ahead of the MP3 player pack just say so !!! :neutral_face:

You have interesting thoughts on the security issue.

One of the primary differences in a Sansa Fuze versus a Blackberry or similar PDA is in its intended use.  The PDA is designed to hold critical information, schedules, contact information, and such, for quick access.  A Sansa is intended as a musical or video companion, more for your entertainment.  It does not have a keyboard or large data diaplay, nor does it have a transceiver as a telephone will.

Granted, the Sansa can easily hold any data desired, as it is an excellent data storage device too, so the potential does exist for data to be “misplaced”.

This issue is easily solved by following the TEMPEST guidelines and keeping your red data off of the device.  Otherwise, the Sansa must be kept in a secure locker.  If I have too much data, I can only store a few hours of music, and it makes long trips in the black helicopter rather tedious.  The Fuze feeds audio into the crew intercom rather nicely, and thanks to its battery, is free of hassles plugging into the 24v supply onboard.

The target audience, shall we say, of a Fuze includes the “younger set”, meaning that locked devices are a potential source of upset customers, as passwords are forgotten or misplaced.  If the music files are DRM encoded, copying isn’t an issue.

But, think of the possibility of locking out, say, the MSC device mode, and leaving the MTP media side open…you could have a really cool combination lock GUI, with the virtual “safe knob” commanded by the scroll wheel, in classic L-R-L fashion.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

@gman45 wrote:
Are you saying no one in the engineering/programming departments can program such a feature to a device designed to store not only music but personal data as well, record voice, listen to fm radio, play movies and show photos! Blackberries do these things and you can lock that device! If it is a matter of cost or just not being innovative and ahead of the MP3 player pack just say so !!! :neutral_face:

I’m not saying that it can’t be done, nor that it would be cost-prohibitve. In fact, I’m sure it could be done in-expensively. All I am saying is that, as Bob pointed out, these devices are not designed or marketed as ‘secure’ storage devices for senstive files. They are for personal entertaiment and I doubt if SanDisk thinks this is a ‘high priority’ enhancment worth considering.

I don’t keep up on all the competion so I don’t know; is there any competitve mp3 players out there that offer this security lock? I’m not talking Blackberrys or cell-phones that have built-in mp3 players, or anything of this nature. But basic mp3 players; are there any?

MPEG-2 TS, is also a popular format specially for some camcorder which can’t be supported by common players. The MPEG-2 TS Converter is an excellent TS Converter to convert MPEG-2 TS format files. The TS Converter can convert .ts files to mpeg2, convert .ts to avi, wmv, wma, mpg, convert .ts to mp3, mp4 and other common formats respectivly for iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, PSP and other digital players with perfect quality and fast conversion speed.Video_TS Converter is a TS File Converter which can convert the files in Video_TS folder and extract audio from .ts files. The TS Video File Converter supports converting .m2ts, .mts, .mkv, .flv, .mp4 and other supported files.

Look, all I am saying is this device as well as other similar devices have approached storage capacity that is massive to say the least 1000, 2000, 4000 songs etc. This is a lot of data! Why not have a feature that can  lock and protect what may have taken years to create and harvest only to have it ‘misplaced’ or stolen in a matter of seconds. Entertainment is great for a device that plays a few songs over a period of a couple of hours here and there. These devices contain entertainment that can last months!!! All I’m saying is give the user the option to protect their data be it photos, music or movies. The entertainment of a lifetime should be protected in devices that store 8, 16, 20, 30, 80, and 120GB of data. These levels are not simply an album or two, a movie here and there or a few photos of the family pet! These devices were designed to offer the user options to store their love of music, photos etc in a small portable device to share whenever or wherever and should be protected from the possibility of theft or misplacement. If you feel this so insignificant why produce these massive storage devices?

I don’t see the need myself it’s a mp3 player… not a personal info keeper.

This seems extremely paranoid to me. It’s a media, mostly music, player. In the unlikely event that you should lose or have your player stolen do you actually think that anyone cares enough about what’s on your player to share it ‘all over the world’?

Even if someone found your player and got a cable to hook it up to a computer what’s on it that you are so afraid of someone seeing? Music files? Family photos? Honestly no one is interested in what’s on your player unless it’s scandalous, and in that case it shouldn’t be on something you are afraid to lose. It’s a solution in search of a problem…

Message Edited by Ziemas on 12-04-2008 04:50 AM

I agree with the general concencus here, in that its certainly do-able, and I see your point, but I don’t see it as a common need.  Most of us have nothing more than a ton of music on there, maybe with a few videos, and possibly the same kinda pictures you’d put in your wallet (family, friends, sig. other, prized possessions, etc).  While it can be used to store any data you want, its kind of a hassle to do so, and most of us don’t always carry the cable around.  Security/encryption on any pocketable device like that isn’t going to bring the device back to you, it just makes it harder for the crook to access your files or use the thing.  Still, any security can be broken if they’re persistent enough, and they could always find a way to do a hard reset and format it.  Or maybe they’ll just throw it away, but they won’t be knocking on your to return it you.

As far as files go, what do you have on there that isn’t already shared all over the world?  Unless you record your own music, all the music you have on there can be easily downloaded by anyone with an internet connection, so its already shared all over the world.  It’s not like its all YOUR music, so to speak, but just the music you chose.  You’ll just be saving them a wee bit of hassle, but only if they like all the same kinda music as you.  As far as videos and pictures go, I should hope there’s nothing really incriminating on there, if so, you should take it off anyway.  Music/comedy videos are available to anyone, and your random/personal pics aren’t going to be of any value to anyone, as long as they’re not TOO personal.  So, while it would suck to lose your Fuze, the crooks aren’t really gonna get anything else of much value off of it.  If you have confidential files that you can’t risk going to the wrong hands or into public domain, get an encrypted thumb drive, or encrypt the one you have.  Its not hard to do, and its much easier to carry around and convenient to use.  

In closing, I see where you’re coming from, and it might not be a bad optional feature to have.  However, there’s little point to it for the vast majority of users, and honestly, there are alot of other features I would rather see come first.  Bottom line is no amount of security will bring it back to you, all the files should be backed up anyway, and if there’s anything confidential on there, you should take it off anyway.