SDHC Card Needs Formatted/Initialized

My camera card was working just fine until a couple of days ago. When I turned on my camera, it said for me to initialize the card, which I didn’t want to do because I didn’t want to lose my pictures and videos. I tried the card in my computer and it wanted me to format it, which I didn’t want to do either. Then, I noticed that the lock switch on the side of the card is missing. I had found out that a piece of tape can be placed on it, but that didn’t work. I also noticed that the card itself seems to be separating on the end that has the electrical components. I don’t know if that is why it won’t read it even if it’s taped or not. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do to get my pictures and video off of the card? I really only need to be able to read it long enough to get them off and then I plan to buy a new camera card and no longer use that one. If the card that is on the inside of the SDHC card that contains the electrical components and all of the data comes out, which it can since the end is now split open, can it be placed in anything else in order to read it? Any help that you can give me is most appreciated. I really do not want to lose any of my files. Thank you very much!!