sd card which automatically overwrites when full?

Hi

I have a video recorder which takes a micro SD card.  It has no faclity to overwrite existing recordings when it fills and so I need to manually remove it and either delete the files on it or reformat it.  I have to do this regularly and it is a pain.  I contacted the manufacturer but they didnt have plans to enable reformattingt o be done on the device.

My idea is for a Micro SD card which by design automatically overwrites existing data when it is full.  This would make my life easier and perhaps help others.

Since Google prevented formatting SD card on mobiles I now need to find a PC and to it there which is time consuming.

Please tell me if an SD card could be designed to do this?

Bad idea, and I seriously doubt anyone (SanDisk, PNY, Kingston, etc.) would do it even if it were possible.

agreed. This functionality should come from the host not the card. To the card data is data. It does not care what is old or new. The host should make this design not the card. 

This is common functionality with newer hosts like security cameras or dashcams though so it sounds like the host you have is either old and no longer being developed or the manufacturer does not have a lot of upgrades or support planned for the product. this is common if the manufacturer actually buys the design from a third party. 

Either way Tapeworm is right. You will not likely ever see a storage product with this built in. This is functionality that needs to be initiated by the host. 

Thanks. My device is an Oregon Scientific Chameleon cycle helmet mounted cam. It was great value and I have used it daily on my commute for 2 years. Uniquely it record both front and rear.
I would certainly buy an sd card that could overwrite when full for this. I don’t think I am alone and think there might in fact be a big market.
Of course my idea would need a company like SanDisk to recognise the Vale of such a product that could breath new life into similar devices lacking formatting capability. Google’'s aversion to sd cards and has created a market.

Now that large capacity cards are cheap though, one could use a relatively large capacity card, and/or carry one or more spares.

I find it interesting that Sandisk has developed singe use card technology that can be written to once, and can’t be edited or erased. This is for use in place of film, for special applications where the integrity of the image is important.

the WORM (write once read many) cards were aimed at legal documents and crime scean photographs where there is a need to ensure the file was not altered in any way. That and other data that needed to be saved and not edited. however I dont think they even make those cards any longer.

Hi

As per my knowledge, erased records on a SD card are overwritten in the same way as documents on any FAT32. That is, the space is made accessible to any new documents, however the information is not really overwritten or evacuated - just the filename and passage in the File Allocation Table are uprooted.

Furthermore, yes, any new documents will tend to utilize the area that held erased records. On the off chance that you need to recoup an erased document, works fine in the event that you haven’t composed whatever else to the drive. The more records composed subsequently, the less risk of recuperation.