Says V2 on the back but Info says ?(Player went insane)

My player (e280) went berzerk, deleted all my music(4gb worth) and now i can’t reload any of it. i set up a sync list on WMP11 and then i click sync and every track has some sort of “error” which wouldn’t let it be put on my player. Also it now says i have 49 Songs on it totaling 0 Seconds. i tried all the dskchk crap and formating but it didn’t work. I also don’t know now what i can and cannot do with it because i am confused as to what version the player is. The text file called VERSION says this.

Version Info: Product Rev.: PP5022AF-05.51-S301-02.24-S301.02.24A-D

Base Code: 05.51-S301-02.24-S301.02.24A-D

ODM Ver.: S301-02.24-S301.02.24A-D

OEM Ver.: S301.02.24A-D

Build Type: -D

Build Date: 2007.12.24

Build Number: (Build 32.10) 

and the info says

Version                    01.02.24A 

if it helps i bought the player refurbished online. 

What version player is this?

and

What do I do?

P.S.

if it turns  out its v1, how safe is RockBox?

Message Edited by musicasmyweapon on 07-06-2009 08:20 PM

Message Edited by musicasmyweapon on 07-06-2009 08:21 PM

It’s a v1. Whoever refurbished it probably put on a different back.

Windows Media Player is a menace. You probably had songs on your Sansa that weren’t on your computer. When you hit “sync” WMP tried to make your Sansa the same as your computer–and wiped out the songs that weren’t in WMP’s library.

Songs that don’t play may not be in the right format–the Sansa can read the filenames but not play them. Are you sure they are mp3 or wma? If they are m4a, from iTunes, you have to convert them to .mp3 (you can do it with iTunes). Or WMP might just have messed things up. 

I suggest you forget about WMP and just drag and drop songs onto the unit. To do that, switch to MSC mode (Settings/USB Mode). Clear the remaining junk off the unit: Connect, right-click and Format…to FAT32.  Then just open the unit in Windows Explorer and drag albums onto it.

Rockbox is generally safe but you have to know what you’re doing. Instead of learning another firmware at the moment, why don’t you try using the unit in MSC mode for a while? You can always add Rockbox later.  

Message Edited by c1u31355 on 07-06-2009 11:49 PM

Computers only do what people tell them to- programmer or user. :slight_smile:

Rockbox is more complicated and I would NOT recommend it if you made your sansa ‘go berserk’…

@musicasmyweapon wrote:

P.S.

Just like a gun . . . only as safe as the hand holding it.

To borrow the saying from all the 2nd Amendment advocates, “Rockbox doesn’t kill Sansas, people kill Sansas.”

@musicasmyweapon wrote:

P.S.

Just like a gun . . . only as safe as the hand holding it.

To borrow the saying from all the 2nd Amendment advocates, “Rockbox doesn’t kill Sansas, people kill Sansas.”

Given your screen name, you should understand that. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks guys. The problem just seemed to melt away when i used my parents rad-awesome computer. Envy. And i’m sure all the files on it were MP3s(i have digital OCD) thanks to my wonderful SUPER® converter. I apparently just needed a computer that wasn’t mine to be able to delete the infected files(49songs=secs). I tried using the MSC mode but when i opened up my player on the computer it had no music folder so i switched it back over and tried WMP one more time and its worked so far. Of course though, when one door closes another one opens(doesn’t have to be good). My player won’t charge from the computer anymore. This isn’t too big of a deal seeing as i have both the car adapter and the wall adapter its just its not doing somthing its supposed to do and thats no.

So… is there a way to make this Little V1 a V2?(Coulda had a V8?)

And I have found some nice tutorials on how to install RockBox on Sansas specifically co i might try it out, if i got up the courage. these sansas a pretty cheap now so i could probably live with replacing one and learning from mistakes.

peace 

@musicasmyweapon wrote:

Thanks guys. The problem just seemed to melt away when i used my parents rad-awesome computer. Envy. And i’m sure all the files on it were MP3s(i have digital OCD) thanks to my wonderful SUPER® converter. I apparently just needed a computer that wasn’t mine to be able to delete the infected files(49songs=secs). I tried using the MSC mode but when i opened up my player on the computer it had no music folder so i switched it back over and tried WMP one more time and its worked so far. Of course though, when one door closes another one opens(doesn’t have to be good). My player won’t charge from the computer anymore. This isn’t too big of a deal seeing as i have both the car adapter and the wall adapter its just its not doing somthing its supposed to do and thats no.

So… is there a way to make this Little V1 a V2?(Coulda had a V8?)

And I have found some nice tutorials on how to install RockBox on Sansas specifically co i might try it out, if i got up the courage. these sansas a pretty cheap now so i could probably live with replacing one and learning from mistakes.

peace 

Does the player connect to the computer? Meaning does the player appear in Windows Explorer/My Computer, either under “devices with removable storage” or “portable devices”? If not, the driver is corrupted. Delete the troublesome device (indicated by a yellow triangle-and-exclamation-point icon) in Device Manager, restart the computer, and reconnect the player once Windows finishes restarting. Windows will detect the player and reinstall the driver, hopefully problem-free this time.

Another possible cause for the “no charging” issue is the computer’s USB port itself. Connect the player directly to a port on the rear of the computer, not a front port or hub. Front ports and hubs aren’t always powered.

And no, there’s no way to install v1 firmware on a v2 device (or vice versa). The two versions have slightly different internal hardware, and one version’s firmware will not work with the other version’s hardware.

Message Edited by gwk1967 on 07-09-2009 12:32 AM