Sansafix, please pop in on the issue of the v2 Fuze playing at incorrect speed

Please see the posts by maxplanck regarding running tests to determine if your Fuze is reproducing music accurately…I am sure we all would like some input from someone from the SanDisk technical staff.

Thanks…

Message Edited by bobletteross on 02-17-2009 08:24 PM

Hi, its a battery life tradeoff. Running higher PLL will degrade battery life 5 - 7%.

Issue is logged and we will look into it again as time permits.

Message Edited by sansafix on 02-18-2009 10:03 AM

Thanks!!!

If it’s possible to update the firmware to allow users to select between two modes of operation, one that prioritizes battery life, and another which prioritizes playback speed, that would be ideal.

The lower battery life mode could be buried in a configuration sub menu, so that non technically oriented users would never even see or be confused by it, but end users who prioritize accurate playback speed could get what they want. 

The nice thing about allowing users to switch modes on the fly is that users who ordinarily prioritize playback speed over battery life who happen to wind up in a situation where they need to stretch their battery as long as possible could switch modes.

Thanks a ton for looking @ this.

Message Edited by maxplanck on 02-18-2009 11:22 AM

@maxplanck wrote:

Thanks!!!

If it’s possible to update the firmware to allow users to select between two modes of operation, one that prioritizes battery life, and another which prioritizes playback speed, that would be ideal.

@Thanks a ton for looking @ this.

Max I will say this is something we agree on. It may be easier to release a Firmware with the correction, and on without, either way would work.

Sure, that would work too.  It would be nicer to be able to switch modes on the fly, but hey any fix would be wonderful.

Message Edited by maxplanck on 02-18-2009 11:18 AM

I put one left channel ear bud in from my V01.01022A Fuze in one ear and one left channel ear bud from my PC in the other ear and played the same music track. It was perfect to me. I don’t have anywhere near perfect pitch but I have played musical instr for 40+ years and I feel the accuracy of MY  Fuze’s playback speed it is WELL below parameters discernible to this human’s ear. 

All my tracks are WMP encoded.

Perhaps it is indeed the V2 Fuze.

Message Edited by bobletteross on 02-18-2009 11:35 AM

Message Edited by bobletteross on 02-18-2009 01:07 PM

Or, if you prioritze one sample rate over others (say 44.1kHz since it seems to be most popular by a pretty wide margin), it may be possible to actually choose a lower PLL frequency while still reducing the speed error at your favored sampling rate.  Assuming the PLL currently runs at 240MHz, maybe it’s possible to change to a 192MHz PLL configuration, which could get you an error of less than one cent at 44.1kHz samling rate.  

Better yet would be to change PLL configurations and clock dividers to give you the least error based on what the sample rate of the currently playing file is.  I don’t know if this is possible, though.  There are always other constraints…I’m just looking at it from the viewpoint of what the SoC is capable of.