sansafix - how about another display screen to view TAG data?

i’ve seen a lot of posts here about album art and how it hogs the display so you can’t see the full title/artist name.

instead of modifying the current display…

how about just adding another display screen that you can access by pushing the scroll wheel button?

right now when a song is dplaying, if you press the wheel you can choose from 5 displays-

1. title/artist info with album art
  2. title/artist with an EQ display
  3. title/artist with NEXT SONG display
  4. title/artist with a song progress indicator
  5. full screen of album art

so why not a 6th screen that displays

title/artist then some of the extended tag information such as

year, track, genre, CODEC, bitrate, frequency, tag and maybe even the comment field?

all this data is in the tag of the file, but currently there is no way to view this data on the FUZE, you have to conect it to a PC to tell.

especially now that flac/ogg support is added to the FUZE, it would be nice to know what format you are listening to.  

perhaps adding this new screen would resolve the complaints about album art and scrolling without having to re-design the current screens/displays?

most likely it would need to be a screen with a smaller font to fit more characters in it.

i bet folks here would be happy to design it if you give us some pixel/character specs, i know i would.

Good suggestion,

How about Music options>Track Info>  display details,  vs another center button screen.

@emagon4523 wrote:

most likely it would need to be a screen with a smaller font to fit more characters in it.

Jeeesh! If the fonts get any smaller, SanDisk will have to include a jeweler’s glass with every unit just like earbuds! Especially the song count, elasped and remaining times.

Increasing the character limit and scrolling speed would make more sense to the majority of users (IMO). Adding yet another (6th) screen most likely would not be a firmware ‘update’, but rather a complete f/w ‘re-write’. Highly unlikely.

About the fonts (typefaces, before Microsoft changed definitions)…

a condensed type would be a huge help.  I use Helvetica Rounded Condensed on my PCs for subtititles.

I’m sure Sandisk could find free, open-source Fonts… 

I like that idea, either via menu or 6th screen will be fine.

Menu will probably be better though, since you could add more info and a scrollbar just like the “system settings-> info”  menu.

@tapeworm wrote:
Adding yet another (6th) screen most likely would not be a firmware ‘update’, but rather a complete f/w ‘re-write’

I don’t see how that would be a rewrite, its just another screen, I’m a programmer myself, and can tell you it is not a re-write of any means. would just be an addition.

@roughael wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:
Adding yet another (6th) screen most likely would not be a firmware ‘update’, but rather a complete f/w ‘re-write’

I don’t see how that would be a rewrite, its just another screen, I’m a programmer myself, and can tell you it is not a re-write of any means. would just be an addition.

I’ll defer to your obviously greater knowledge of the subject. Just a layman’s guess on my part.

What do I know anyhow? I’m just a dumb ol’ country boy! :wink:

A great idea, and another one that seems easy to implement.

Besides, I really think that this bar spectrum display is useless. Who ever uses that? Why not replace it with a display of more detailed tag data? I especially miss the date tag…

Come on, Sansa, there are so many little changes you could make to improve usability! ;) 

@sansafix wrote:

Good suggestion,

How about Music options>Track Info>  display details,  vs another center button screen.

i was thinking center button screen because then you can view this data while listening to a particular track by pressigng this, just like how you view the EQ, art, next song, etc…

i didn’t realize that you can get to music options screen while you are listening to a track by pressing the down area of the scroll wheel.

(i guess i never used that) 

so if you’re saying you can add this to the music options screen that you can access while the track is playing, i’m fine with that.

just having the ability to see this extra tag/data info is mostly what i’m after.

thanks for considering it :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by emagon4523 on 11-19-2008 10:58 AM

@riven wrote:

A great idea, and another one that seems easy to implement.

Besides, I really think that this bar spectrum display is useless. Who ever uses that? Why not replace it with a display of more detailed tag data? I especially miss the date tag…

Come on, Sansa, there are so many little changes you could make to improve usability! ;) 

I like the spectrum analyzer…I wish it would stay on if you chose it to. It looks cool on the Clip too:stuck_out_tongue:

Exactly, it disappears anyway. So what’s the use of looking at some bars for ~3 seconds? :slight_smile:  Besides, it can still be there with an additional screen for metadata added… Oh I wish there was an editor of the interface ; D

Being able to view the particulars of a file is becoming more important, especially as the capabilities of the player expand.  It would be wonderful to be able to view the tag data and the encoding information, as the Sansa understands many formats and bitrates.

Plus, in the case of difficulties, one could simply access the track’s data to help isolate the cause of any troubles, rather than having to reinvent the wheel.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

MPEG-2 TS, is also a popular format specially for some camcorder which can’t be supported by common players. The MPEG-2 TS Converter is an excellent TS Converter to convert MPEG-2 TS format files. The TS Converter can convert .ts files to mpeg2, convert .ts to avi, wmv, wma, mpg, convert .ts to mp3, mp4 and other common formats respectivly for iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, PSP and other digital players with perfect quality and fast conversion speed.Video_TS Converter is a TS File Converter which can convert the files in Video_TS folder and extract audio from .ts files. The TS Video File Converter supports converting .m2ts, .mts, .mkv, .flv, .mp4 and other supported files.

I completely agree with sansafix. Also, what’s the point of having a spectrum analyzer displayed for 3 seconds? We’re not in the 1980’s anymore Sandisk people! And anyways, these analyzers have never been used to analyze anything, I’m using my ears for that and set the equalizer accordingly.

Metadata info is sorely needed. Not knowing what format, bitrate, year, genre the song is tagged with is really a fundamental flaw in the firmware, esp. now that we all have music libraries in the multiple GB range.

Its on the list,  but wont be in the upcoming release.

I didn’t even realize the spectrum analyzer only stays on for 3 seconds, because I’ve had absolutely no reason to look at it! The center button is pretty prominent, and should be there for more useful things.

I agree with Bob, the codec info would be useful. My daughter had a Creative Zen Vision:M; it had the ability to show file type and bitrate. When a song sounded particularly bad, it was nice to be able to see if it was some low bitrate file that I’d accidentally loaded.

It’d also be nice to show the file path. Sometimes I accidentally end up putting things in odd places. :slight_smile:

I agree this is a good idea. My old Rio Karma had such a screen.

Indeed, as the Fuze grows in capabilities, it will be fantastic to be able to read the specifics for each file, bitrate, codec, size, et cetera.

I agree that it’s up to trial and error if this is to be added via a center press or via the submenu.  We don’t want to make things too “busy” in terms of normal operation, adding one more screen in the center-press mode rotation.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

@sansafix wrote:
Its on the list,  but wont be in the upcoming release.

awesome!

i’m glad this is being considered and hope to see it in an upcoming firmware!

just wanted to bump this and say THANKS sansafix

i just upgraed my firmware and there it is now - TRACK INFO :robotvery-happy:

I _ HAD _ this feature for 1 morning, now I can’t load it back up! How do I get back to it?