Sansa Media Converter: Download Details and Release Notes

Thank you! I have a Sansa Fuze 4G, and the converter works perfectly for uploading videos. This site is so wonderful, I’ve read a lot of complaints here, but my experience has been, that every problerm I’ve encountered with my Sansa has been solved with information from this site and it’s users. My Sansa turned off a month ago and I could not get it to power up. Info. from this site, lead me to download new firmware and informed me how to reboot my sansa. The problem was fixed, and it’s worked perfectly ever since. Today I came here, because I had been unable to upload videos using windows media player. Once again the forum informed me of the Media Converter Download and it worked flawlessly! Thanks to this forum I am a very happy Sansa user! ![](file:///C:/Users/Mom/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.jpg) ![](file:///C:/Users/Mom/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg) ![](file:///C:/Users/Mom/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg)

This is all I hear when I enter a forum such as this one.  There are those who have a nak for electronics and there those who don’t.  Download the pdf manual, there are those who look at the pictures and then there those who actually read.  I have bought 4 Sandisk players ( 2 new and 2 refubished). My sister bought 1 and we get together to trade music, trouble shoot problems and have a great time tigether.  In nine months the only problem we have had is the 8 gig froze on me.  I held the on-off botton down for about 30 to 40 seconds and it came back on.   I am going to buy one for my baby brother, he is 54 years old and I turned 60yrs Sept. 10th.  Ckeck out ipod forums , they are having more problems and piss fights about nothing… thanks for listening to me LOVE MY SANDISK Ray

I have the older e200 and the 4gig fuze and Daughter the 2gig fuze.

It seems that the old software with the e200 made all the videos out of sync (lips didn’t match)

but since the fuze and the new software, Videos on the fuze are great! and, you don’t need to turn it sideways anymore to view :)   Anyway, love the fuze and the new software update! The only thing that would really seal the deal—would be the option to use my own wallpapers for the main screen! “that would be perfect”

but, bravo on the fuze! It Is wonderful----------PEACE

Hi Tapeworm.

I was bery interested in your post last month (08-26-2008 ) re uninstalling SMC when there is a conflict with Windows Media Center.

You stated

“You can delete it using the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS in Windows Control Panel. You can then re-download or re-install it after you resolve your conflict issue.”

I understand the remove programs bit (but its not a solution, its a very dirty workaround). 

I do not get the bit where you say “You can then re-download or re-install it after you resolve your conflict issue.”

Surely we are waiting for You, Sansa, to resolve the conflict issue with SMC and WMC (or the Hauppage Card etc).  Everything works until I load up SMC. If I uninstall SMC everything works again so its YOUR conflict.

What are your plans to fix this??

:manwink:STILL WAITING ! ! ! ! ! !

Me too.

In view of the inaction from SanDisk (pun intended) I’ve posted this review on Amazon:

"I have the 8MB Sansa View that I bought to replace my ageing 4GB iPOD.

For music its great. It has one major drawback and that is the software that you need from Sandisk to convert pictures and videos to the specific format for the player.

The software (Sansa Media Converter) stops Windows Media Center (Vista) from working. Sansa do not know if it is a clash with WMC or some types of TV card.
Anyways, to be able to watch TV again I have to uninstall the Sansa software. If I want to download photos or videos then I have to reinstall the Sansa software.

This is a known problem according to Sandisk but they have done nothing to find a solution. In fact, everytime i raise a support case for it, they say
“we are working on it” and close the support case - well i suppose it makes their clear up rate look good.

It really has taken the shine off what is otherwise a great bit of kit. My advice: if you only want music then buy this, if you need video - look elsewhere until the problem is fixed properly. !

I’m quite happy to edit my review but I need some action.

I’m not the only unhappy customer…

We’re still waiting :manmad:

From the look of these forums, tehre seems to be a lot of happy Sansa customers out there… who are only happy because they only listen to MP3s and the Radio.

I just got my Sansa e260 4GB this week and before that only ever owned an iPod Nano, so I was excited about the extra capacity and the Video capability!!

I’m very IT literate and have a Quad core XP machine at work and a Dual Core 2 Vista machine at home.

I cannot tell you how dissappointed I am with the video conversion software for the Sansa running on both machines. It fails to sync any videos properly. I have a range of different codec installed on both machines, and all the videos I’ve converted play perfectly on both, but once converted are totally unwatchable due to the mismatch in sound to vision being SO bad.

I’m sure there are is a huge volume of users who never try video, or never resarch solutions on the web. Even more who do have these problems, and do research solutions on the web, but don’t bother to register on forums such as this to post their frustrations.

I’m staggered that SanDisk could let this occur. 

I was TOTALLY impressed with the automated firmware update process and the seemingly professionalism in the Sansa products. To discover how wrong I was is a huge disappointment. To hear the problems are not limited to my particular product is astonishing.

I will not be recommending the Sansa line of products to friends and family until this Conversion Software issue is fixed.

Naca-Yoda

Welcome to the house of fun…:robotmad:

Would anyone be interested to try portable SMC 4.236? Only tested with my Fuze. I could not make any other encoding utility produce video acceptable by this player. (Super, Handbrake, AGK, AnyVideo free, Arcsoft 2.5 and River Past) 

The benefit of using the portable version would be:

- no changes to your registry/system folder

- no need to install/uninstall. Just run the app. 

- probably, will not interfere with other apps as opposed to the official install.

single file ~30 meg. Disclaimer: By downloading this file I should not be held responsible in any way for any damage to your pc. http://rapidshare.com/files/159742099/Sansa_Media_Converter.exe.html (Valid for 90 days / 10 downloads)

If site admins disapprove this download, please remove the link to rapidshare  

alex

sansa media converter is a crappy program when i open it to convert my video it closes out the program… i got one video to my sansa fuze… i have tried to reinstall the program and it does the same thing…anybody know another program i can use to put videos on my fuze mp3 player.

Are you using the latest version? See http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=smc&thread.id=1133

Hi MrSmileyFace…

I downloaded the newest version of the Sansa Media Converter and tried to install it. Guess what? The installer thingy tells me I don’t have enough room on c:/ to extract the program, I need to remove 105 mb to extract please try agin. Well I have 26 gb on c:/ drive. I think that is more than 105 mb needed to extract the file…any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated…

Thank You,

sleepythumper

I have a mac. Is there a version of the SMC for macs or another solution to get videos converted and to the player?

Thanks 

can anyone reup the Portable version of SMC? thanks in advance.

Is this thing free

I’m trying to do the same thing.

Sansa site gives specs for an .avi encapsulated MP4 video file as the native format for the player.  I created such files on my Mac for testing with my Fuze 4gig, but they would not play.  Funny thing is, I looked at the video folder on my Fuze while connected to my iMac and the video file that comes with the Fuze was not visible.  Therefore, I cannot examine the actual video file playing on the Fuze in order to duplicate its encoding.

I was hoping that the specified type of video file would play on the fuze if I simply dragged and dropped it into the Fuze’s video folder.  Fuze recognizes the files in its video folder, but will not play them, indicating “incorrect format” .

I am able to drag and drop audio files and .jpg picture files straight into the Fuze and they play/view without a hitch -  without the use of the Sansa Media Converter, thank you very much.  I, too, seek a way to prepare the ‘right’ type of video files on my Mac, then simply drop them into the Fuze, but at this time my efforts remain unsuccessful.

Please share any information you think is useful, thanks! 

Portable SMC version 4.256 on rapidshare ~30mb.

@tigerabbit wrote:

I’m trying to do the same thing.

Sansa site gives specs for an .avi encapsulated MP4 video file as the native format for the player.  I created such files on my Mac for testing with my Fuze 4gig, but they would not play.  Funny thing is, I looked at the video folder on my Fuze while connected to my iMac and the video file that comes with the Fuze was not visible.  Therefore, I cannot examine the actual video file playing on the Fuze in order to duplicate its encoding.

I was hoping that the specified type of video file would play on the fuze if I simply dragged and dropped it into the Fuze’s video folder.  Fuze recognizes the files in its video folder, but will not play them, indicating “incorrect format” .

I am able to drag and drop audio files and .jpg picture files straight into the Fuze and they play/view without a hitch -  without the use of the Sansa Media Converter, thank you very much.  I, too, seek a way to prepare the ‘right’ type of video files on my Mac, then simply drop them into the Fuze, but at this time my efforts remain unsuccessful.

Please share any information you think is useful, thanks! 

Common problem. Switch to AVC, and stop using the SMC.

Thanks for your response.  By AVC, I guess you mean “Any Video Converter” for Mac.  

I was excited when I visited the AVC website that it described the method for making a custom .avi for use, specifically, on the Sansa Fuze.  I installed the “free” mac version of AVC and converted a 2 minute clip to .avi using those instructions.  I was careful to check the specs (proper container, codec, size, and frame rate), but the resulting file still shows on the Fuze as “incorrect format”.  

I have a feeling that a successful conversion on the mac is do-able, perhaps you have been successful with it, but I still cannot generate video files that the Sansa Fuze will play.  Any further help you can give is greatly appreciated.  I will continue to experiment, and if successful I’ll gladly post instructions here.  So far, though, it looks pretty bleak.

Thanks a bunch!