sansa linux

is there anyway to put inux on sansa fuze

i would really like to do this

you wanna put the whole OS on your fuze? Or are you asking if you can use linux to put music and other files on the fuze?

i want to put the whole OS on it or the sansa linux download ive heard about

Never heard of anybody doin that, And I have not heard of the Sansa Linux Download either. Do you have links to the information if you do post them on here. Others would be interested as well. Up to now all I have seen in terms of alternate firmwires is Rockbox and that has not been released yet for the fuze.

heres the link

http://www.sansalinux.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=50

Doesnt look like that will work for the fuze just yet, like rockbox its probably in development.

I admit I am a Linux Fan boy but as soon as I saw your post I thought “WTF for?”

I bought an MP3 player to play music, not watch videos, not surf the internet, not navigate about using GPS, not take photos, just play music, that’s all I want it to do. It does so perfectly fine with the firmware/software provided by Sansa.

It says on the SansaLinux home page:

‘It is useable only with the original e200 series, but not with the V2 models.’

Fuze uses the same AMS chipset as e2x0v2.

@rjtheman5 wrote:

is there anyway to put inux on sansa fuze

i would really like to do this

Why ask here when you already have the sansa linux web site that would give you first hand information? 

@hazza wrote:

I admit I am a Linux Fan boy but as soon as I saw your post I thought “WTF for?”

I bought an MP3 player to play music, not watch videos, not surf the internet, not navigate about using GPS, not take photos, just play music, that’s all I want it to do. It does so perfectly fine with the firmware/software provided by Sansa.

second that.
Message Edited by ChimaI on 01-06-2009 11:51 PM

@hazza wrote:

Judjing from a lot of posts on this forum, not *Perfectly* well.  Lots of requests for gapless playback and folder navigation, formats not covered by Sansa firmware, and recording to compressed formats rather than wav.  

Back to Linux on Sansa, I just loaded it on my e200 today (prompted by the link on this thread, thnx!)  It apparently borrows some code from Rockbox to get it playing.  It isn’t as memory efficient, so sometimes has trouble with a large database.  stutters a bit when first starting a song.  It may get smoother on those points over time.  It can be a “triple boot” with Rockbox and the standard firmware, so I’ll probably keep it on.

@donp wrote:

Back to Linux on Sansa, I just loaded it on my e200 today (prompted by the link on this thread, thnx!)  It apparently borrows some code from Rockbox to get it playing.  It isn’t as memory efficient, so sometimes has trouble with a large database.  stutters a bit when first starting a song.  It may get smoother on those points over time.  It can be a “triple boot” with Rockbox and the standard firmware, so I’ll probably keep it on.

And the benefit to it is . . .?

@tapeworm wrote:

@donp wrote:

Back to Linux on Sansa, I just loaded it on my e200 today (prompted by the link on this thread, thnx!) tly 

And the benefit to it is . . .?

So far, just novelty, and I like some of the themes.  Entering text is problematic, so if I wanted to do anything unique to linux, it would probably be with a script or program written on the PC.  Given that it’s a music player, maybe something to easily set up playlists.

@donp wrote:

Judjing from a lot of posts on this forum, not *Perfectly* well.  Lots of requests for gapless playback and folder navigation, formats not covered by Sansa firmware, and recording to compressed formats rather than wav.

Ok, you are right, it’s not perfect. I might point out though that the Sansa dudes respond to user requests AND they have more knowledge of the player than anyone else.

Folder navigation is coming, at first I was annoyed that the Fuze didn’t have it but Windows users have MP3Tag and Linux users have EasyTag. Both are fantastic at manipulating the tags of various formats and I would recommend that anyone using folders to organise their music download them and fix their tags.