Sansa Fuze white screen of death

My PC recognises the device but will not re-format it. Have tried to reformat in DOS but this returns a IOCTL call error. Have downloaded three USB flash drive reformat programmes but all of these report that my device is write protected. Having no information on the screen I obviously cannot poke around in the menus and settings to try and turn the write protection off. Does anyone know how to turn the write protection off by just using the buttons ? Thinking that maybe a virus has caused this problem I have also downloaded a few USB / flash drive virus checkers but they all fail to recognise the device presumably for the same reason. Sansa support are unable or unwilling to help. This device is 8 months old ! I would be happy to hear of anyone else who has experienced this problem.

You said its still recognized, but how? As an MTP device or MSC?

Try Forced MSC:

1. Turn device OFF.
  2. Slide the Hold switch down to Lock (orange color showing).
  3. Press and hold the left button ( |<< ) while connecting the device to the PC.

Try format and re-load the firmware using this setup. Don’t forget to make copies of whats inside (songs, videos, etc…) before you do this. 

@andybarras wrote:
Sansa support are unable or unwilling to help. This device is 8 months old !

I find this kind of hard to believe. That’s what they’re there for.

Hi Chux,

yes I have been using the hold / rewind button method to connect to my PC and the PC will recognise both drives inside the Fuze. However in Device Manger the internal memory inside the Fuze is listed as ’ unreadable '. This is probably why all third party formatting programmes I have used cannot format the drive. I think this device is just one step away from the trash. What do you think ?

Check its the internal memory’s status as well under Disk Management. See if Format is also possible there:

Formatting a drive or device using Disk Management

If this fails, contact SanDisk and check warranty.