Sansa Fuze is junk

@notafan wrote:

I tried to take it back to BEST BUY, where it was purchased, since it was a gift they had bought it before fathers day, well I took it back before I even contacted Sansa and it was 32 days after they purchased it BEST BUY would NOT replace it because it was past the 30 return policy. 

Yep not too happy with Best Buy either, but they have a policy and stad by it that I do respect. But It was only 7 days after fathers day when I recieved it.  

So warning don’t buy gifts from BEST BUY eairly it doesn’t pay…

I have figured out a work-around to this.

1. Buy another one of whatever you are trying to return.

2. Keep the new one, and within a few days return the defective one using the reciept from the new one.

3. Ask for a REFUND.

So far it’s worked every time.

Your right.  That is what it says on the box too.  24 not 29.  Got that number from consumer reports.

Believe it or not.  Consumer Reports lists it as one of the best for the price and gave the battery a 29 hour score.

My third fuze is so new, I still have the box.  Will keep using them until I get a good one.

Thats what the box says but the manual somewhere said you could get up to 29 hours with tight settings.

I am not going to argue the point.  The Fuze is having its problems and not all are happy with some of its shortcomings.

I do that too

Yes v.1

@cydewaze wrote:

@notafan wrote:

I tried to take it back to BEST BUY, where it was purchased, since it was a gift they had bought it before fathers day, well I took it back before I even contacted Sansa and it was 32 days after they purchased it BEST BUY would NOT replace it because it was past the 30 return policy. 

Yep not too happy with Best Buy either, but they have a policy and stad by it that I do respect. But It was only 7 days after fathers day when I recieved it.  

So warning don’t buy gifts from BEST BUY eairly it doesn’t pay…

I have figured out a work-around to this.

1. Buy another one of whatever you are trying to return.

1. Keep the new one, and within a few days return the defective one using the reciept from the new one.

1. Ask for a REFUND.

So far it’s worked every time.

That is GENIUS! That just made my day! Oh, and I’m on my third Fuze, and it’s finally a good one. So there are good ones. The only problem is the screen is crooked. Oh, well. Guess you can’t have everything.

@saratoga wrote:

@etoja wrote:

drlucky, welcome back from China… :slight_smile: I know what you mean, but I guess the Fuze processor shouldn’t switch off the battery charching process unless the battery is full - in case of low powered USB ports it should only take much longer time to charge. Though it is only theoretical approach and you might be absolutely right. Unfortunately I have a nice wall charger as well…Anyway I’ll experiment with it, thanks.

P.S. Oops… Just remembered - it can’t be a low power port in my case, I use it to charge my Cowon and its battery lasts as it should, about 50 hours.

Message Edited by Etoja on 10-14-2009 02:25 PM

IIRC the Fuze doesn’t actually check if you have a low power USB port before charging (at least I think the Fuze doesn’t, I know the e200 doesn’t from back when we reverse engineered the battery charging), so if you plug it into a low power port it may trip the port’s current limit and simply not charge at all.  This is actually pretty common.  Few devices seem to check for low vs. high power, so its probably best not to use a low power USB port at all with battery powered devices. 

@ Saratoga, thanks a lot! I do appreciate a comment from the Master :slight_smile: Than I am in the wrong. Anyway, I have ordered a new charger and I’ll tell if it lengthens the usage - will post the results on the forum.

I have thought about the buy one return the bad one. It might come down to that. But I actually would love to get my money back totally and not ever have to deal with Sansa or the main Company SanDisk.  I have used sandisk products in my photography, and been pleased but have never had to deal with customer service. Since now I know what that is like I REFUSE to buy their products. I would rather spend more and get great service then less and get a hassel.

I don’t look forward to keep buying and returning units till I get one that works.

@ NotaFan, Saratoga and Co.  I have received my wall charger from Amazon yesterday and I must reconsider my bad opinion about Fuze battery. My short charge was caused by underpowered USB ports. I checked it on the computers with various motherboards and all of them were producing not enough power to charge the Fuze battery to specifications.

I’ve bought a very cheap £1.78 wall charger (1A) from the amazon. It took me about 2 hours to charge the battery completely. I switched on the Fuze and it is in its 12th hour of playing music - the level of the battery life still shows 52%. So drlucky and Saratoga were right pointing out it might be caused the insufficient power on USB ports.

My advice now - don’t use computers for charging Fuze, use wall chargers instead.

N.B. The charger I bought is a bit cheap but it works OK. The charging time is shorter than that of computer charging. I discovered that I can listen to the radio and mp3s while it is charging. The cons are: the charger carries on working while the battery is fully charged and neither the Fuze or the charger show any indications while charging, the screen is switched off and you can’t see what’s happening.  It doesn’t switch itself automatically when being charged so you have to be extra-carefull not to leave the Fuze unattended while plugged in.

@etoja wrote:

N.B. The charger I bought is a bit cheap but it works OK. The charging time is shorter than that of computer charging. I discovered that I can listen to the radio and mp3s while it is charging. The cons are: the charger carries on working while the battery is fully charged and neither the Fuze or the charger show any indications while charging, the screen is switched off and you can’t see what’s happening.  It doesn’t switch itself automatically when being charged so you have to be extra-carefull not to leave the Fuze unattended while plugged in.

Even if the charger doesn’t know if the Fuze is fully charged, the Fuze does. It will stop drawing power from the charger. The exception would be if you’re using it, draining the battery at the same time it’s charging. But I believe that would happen with any charger.

Its not really a charger, its just a power supply.  The charger is built into the Fuze’s CPU, and its enabled and disabled automatically depending on the battery state.  The powersupply doesn’t need to worry about that.