Sansa Fuze - insufficient volume after firmware update

In my opinion, it’s not a problem with EU regulations but with BAD implementation by SanDisk!

What doesn’t work for me with firmware V02.03.31 in EU configuration:

• bad Signal-Noise-Ratio with external amplifiers

• volume level of stereo equipment has to be maximum to get household noise level (switching to another source blows off my flat :manmad:)

• the 600 Watts active speakers I’m going to use for my birthday party can’t fill the barbecue area because of low input from the FUZE

• the 30 Ohm passive speakers I use for falling asleep and wakeup just whisper (oversleeping included :manmad:)

Why not just adding a menuitem to switch the headphone output between “Headphones” (EU-limited level), Line (2V line level) and “Speakers” (maximum level)? And if SanDisks spends a alarm clock with a own playlist to the FUZE firmware, I’d be happy to use the FUZE with passive Speakers instead of an extra alarm clock!

Thank you! Easy peasy

I am unable to revert back to any firmware revision (Fuze v2)

The only time a firmware update occurs is when I place the .bin and .dat file from the 02.03.33 release onto the root of my player. Any official firmware other than this version or Rockbox will not install. Does anyone else have this problem?

I received the player today and updated to firmware 02.03.33 via Sansa Updater.

As most of you obviously don’t know, the EU regulation was not to limit the max volume on mp3/mp4 players, but to make sure that users are aware of the risks to their hearing if they set the volume too loud. All that SanDisk should have done to comply with the EU regulation was to set the “normal” volume level as default, and if the user tried to change the setting to “high” a simple message popped up saying “listening at this level can cause hearing damage. Are you sure?”, or something to that effect. But of course not, that would be too complicated, and why not go the easier way? Plus EU will get all the blame, so it’s a win-win as far as SanDisk is concerned.

Message Edited by doccolinni on 2010-06-16 08:21 PM

Message Edited by doccolinni on 2010-06-16 08:24 PM

doccolinni wrote:
As most of you obviously don’t know, the EU regulation was not to limit the max volume on mp3/mp4 players, but to make sure that users are aware of the risks to their hearing if they set the volume too loud. All that SanDisk should have done to comply with the EU regulation was to set the “normal” volume level as default, and if the user tried to change the setting to “high” a simple message popped up saying “listening at this level can cause hearing damage. Are you sure?”, or something to that effect. But of course not, that would be too complicated, and why not go the easier way? Plus EU will get all the blame, so it’s a win-win as far as SanDisk is concerned.

It’s not just SanDisk that have limited the volume, other companies are doing the same with their players. At least with our Sansas, we have the option to over-ride the limitation.

@marvin_martian wrote:

@doccolinni wrote:

It’s not just SanDisk that have limited the volume, other companies are doing the same with their players. At least with our Sansas, we have the option to over-ride the limitation.

It’s still not EU’s fault, though.

That’s a first.  Remember the iPods pulled off the shelf in Germany?  It is their fault.  There’s too much of that “nobody’s fault” attitude these days.  Perhaps we should give them all a trophy in Brussels for showing up to work.  Legislators thrive on warm fuzzies.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

@neutron_bob wrote:

That’s a first.  Remember the iPods pulled off the shelf in Germany?  It is their fault.  There’s too much of that “nobody’s fault” attitude these days.  Perhaps we should give them all a trophy in Brussels for showing up to work.  Legislators thrive on warm fuzzies.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Excuse me, I wasn’t saying that it is “nobody’s fault”, I was just saying that it isn’t EU’s that the companies are too lazy to satisfy both the customers in Europe and the simple and reasonable guidelines set forth by the EU. Like I said, they should have just put the normal volume as the default and made the players display an appropriate warning when the user wants to change the volume to high.

I think I’m sorry I suggested to ‘sticky’ this thread. I didn’t know it was was going to turn into yet another off-topic argument!

@tapeworm wrote:
I think I’m sorry I suggested to ‘sticky’ this thread. I didn’t know it was was going to turn into yet another off-topic argument!

I’m sorry, I’ll shut up now. It’s a useful thread, I don’t want to ruin it.

i can`t install the updeter . after the installing it gev me a blank erea

sababayakov wrote:
i can`t install the updeter . after the installing it gev me a blank erea

Why would you want to? It’s quicker (and just as easy) to update the firmware manually. Besides, then you won’t have the resorce hog nag-ware on your computer.

Tengo un sansa fuze su serial es bh0810bek-4gb con la version V01.02.31f y he perdido el volumen de fabrica al instalarle este firmware. Lo uso sobre todo porque en el autobus me mareo pero ahora escucho mas a la gente del autobus que al reproductor. Mi pregunta es ¿como puedo recuperar el volumen ? conservando las mejoras de este firmware u otro mas avanzado las cuales si me han gustado pero que un nuevo firmware no me lo reconoce el sansa update ¿Me lo pueden explicar paso a paso?------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a fuze sansa your serial is bh0810bek-4GB with V01.02.31fy version I lost the volume of manufactures to install this firmware. I use it mostly because I get dizzy on the bus but now most people hear the bus to the player. My question is how I can recover the volumes? maintaining the improvements of this firmware which if they liked me a new firmware but I do not recognize the sansa update I can explain it step by step

@jcostal wrote:

Tengo un sansa fuze su serial es bh0810bek-4gb con la version V01.02.31f y he perdido el volumen de fabrica al instalarle este firmware. Lo uso sobre todo porque en el autobus me mareo pero ahora escucho mas a la gente del autobus que al reproductor. Mi pregunta es ¿como puedo recuperar el volumen ? conservando las mejoras de este firmware u otro mas avanzado las cuales si me han gustado pero que un nuevo firmware no me lo reconoce el sansa update ¿Me lo pueden explicar paso a paso?----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a fuze sansa your serial is bh0810bek-4GB with V01.02.31fy version I lost the volume of manufactures to install this firmware. I use it mostly because I get dizzy on the bus but now most people hear the bus to the player. My question is how I can recover the volumes? maintaining the improvements of this firmware which if they liked me a new firmware but I do not recognize the sansa update I can explain it step by step

I hope the following will be translated successfully. (Espero que el siguiente será traducido correctamente.)

1. Turn on your Sansa player. (Encienda su reproductor Sansa.)

2. Go to settings. (Vaya a los ajustes.)

3. Go to system settings. (Vaya a la configuración del sistema.)

4. Select “Reset factory settings”. (Seleccione “Restablecer configuración de fábrica”.)

5. It will ask you to choose your location. Select “Rest of the world”. (Se le pedirá que elija su ubicación. Seleccione “Rest of the world” ( “Resto del mundo” ).)

6. You should be able to change the volume settings to “high” now. (Usted debe ser capaz de cambiar los ajustes de volumen a “high” ( “alto” ) ahora.)

Message Edited by doccolinni on 2010-06-19 04:19 AM

Here’s the problem. After restoring my Fuze back to the “North America” setting or the everywhere else in the world, the volume is still too low. I use my mp3 player mostly in my truck with a cassette adapter, and listen to podcasts. I have to turn the volume on the Fuze almost all the way up as well as the truck radio. I’ve used a Zen V+, a Zen Stone, and even a cheap Coby in this manner. All of them had sufficient volume with plenty to spare. The Fuze just doesn’t have enough volume. With all other things being good about the Fuze, I can’t believe it fails so miserably here. It may be one of the better mp3 player for sound quality, but not if you have to turn it all the way up. In my opinion this thread is not solved.

rabco wrote:
Here’s the problem. After restoring my Fuze back to the “North America” setting or the everywhere else in the world, the volume is still too low. I use my mp3 player mostly in my truck with a cassette adapter, and listen to podcasts. I have to turn the volume on the Fuze almost all the way up as well as the truck radio. I’ve used a Zen V+, a Zen Stone, and even a cheap Coby in this manner. All of them had sufficient volume with plenty to spare. The Fuze just doesn’t have enough volume. With all other things being good about the Fuze, I can’t believe it fails so miserably here. It may be one of the better mp3 player for sound quality, but not if you have to turn it all the way up. In my opinion this thread is not solved.

When running a Fuze or Clip or Clip+ into another radio, like you are doing, for best results,the EQ needs to be on “Normal” and the volume all the way up. It’s always been that way.

rabco wrote:
After restoring my Fuze back to the “North America” setting or the everywhere else in the world, the volume is still too low.

1.) Make sure you have selected the High volume setting, instead of Normal.

2.) If the volume still isn’t sufficient for your needs, consider getting a headphone amp to boost the signal to your truck’s radio. The FiiO E5 is under 20 bucks.

3.) Get a new muffler on the truck.

1.) Already set to High

2.) Don’t want another piece of equipment sliding around on the seat.

3.) Mufflers’s fine. As I said, other mp3 players worked fine with plenty of headroom to spare.

If this device is simply incapable of higher volume levels, I will return it and buy a different one (applying the $20 from suggestion #2).

Thanks for the fix, knew it was something to do with updating it after i got it today, would never have thought of just switching to the rest of the world though to fix it.

Del

Hi,

I just wanted to say thank you for the great advise

greetz

Bram