Sansa Fuze Firmware Update 01.02.31 & 02.03.33

saxmaster765 wrote:
Strange.  I’ve had to reset it about 5 or 6 times, which is about 5 or six times more than I’ve ever had to do (not including the stupid video glitch of the .26 firmware).

I always thought the .26 firmware was rock solid…of course, I never wasted my time watching video on the Fuze’s itty-bitty 1.9" screen either. Then again, I have 2 players with 2.4" screens and I don’t watch video on them either.:wink:

Yes I liked the v.26 also!  I would drop back to that version if you are having issues and see if your issues go away… I too didn’t use my unit for video…  My sister had a 8 GB Fuze that came with V .11 and she used it for tons of video and it worked great with that version…  V .22 to me just didn’t have the same sound quality it didn’t have the wow factor…  So that’s the only version I would stay away from… But then again it could be just me… I have all V1 units!  George

Hi,

In the future, could you please link to previous ‘firmware update’ threads in the first post?  Doing so would make it much quicker for a person to see the change log accross multiple versions.

Thank you.

Gregory

A modest proposal on database refresh:

Create a  Settings > System Settings > Database submenu, with the options:

  • Database Refresh, with values Auto/Manual (default auto, of course)
  • Refresh Now

If it’s possible, there would be +5 cool points to the developers if we could choose to refresh just internal memory or just external if microSD card is inserted.

Even better, the ability to disable refreshing of the microSD card at any time, not just when it’s inserted.

That way, if I decide to change the tag “Motley Crue” to “Mötley Crüe” on a song in internal memory, I can avoid the immensely long wait while the Fuze, for God knows what reason, decides to read the entire microSD card as well.

:wink:

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 03-03-2010 09:10 AM

saxmaster765,

Have you tried downgrading you firmware back to v01.02.26 and see it that fixes your issues… If it was me I would  use the format command in the Fuze’s menu then reload your music. Maybe the Fat table got messed up… I had this issue with a TomTom GPS that was driving me nuts…  George

@marvin_martian wrote:


@saxmaster765 wrote:
Strange.  I’ve had to reset it about 5 or 6 times, which is about 5 or six times more than I’ve ever had to do (not including the stupid video glitch of the .26 firmware).


I always thought the .26 firmware was rock solid…of course, I never wasted my time watching video on the Fuze’s itty-bitty 1.9" screen either. Then again, I have 2 players with 2.4" screens and I don’t watch video on them either.:wink:

Message Edited by George-W on 03-03-2010 11:39 AM

I just had a pretty good idea.  I also doubt it’s logical.  

Would it be possible to have a converter to videos in the player itself?  That would save so much time! 

@george_w wrote:

saxmaster765,

Have you tried downgrading you firmware back to v01.02.26 and see it that fixes your issues?

 


I was having issues with the .26 and I would not go back to it.  I thought the .26 firmware was the one with the weird video glitch where you turned it off with the video running, and when you turned it on, the video came up in the music screen and the icons in the home menu disappeared.  Whatever that firmware was.

 

Also, I have not had any problems lately with the latest firmware. 

saxmaster765 wrote:

I just had a pretty good idea.  I also doubt it’s logical.  

 

Would it be possible to have a converter to videos in the player itself?  That would save so much time! 

I think that having the ability to convert a particular format of video requires the ability to interpret that particular format of video.  If the Fuze could do the latter, it could display that format, and there wouldn’t be a need for conversion.

Portable players are limited in the number of formats they can support due to the sheer amount of memory space required to store the code needed to interpret each format.

@promisedplanet wrote:


@saxmaster765 wrote:

I just had a pretty good idea.  I also doubt it’s logical.  

 

Would it be possible to have a converter to videos in the player itself?  That would save so much time! 


 

I think that having the ability to convert a particular format of video requires the ability to interpret that particular format of video.  If the Fuze could do the latter, it could display that format, and there wouldn’t be a need for conversion.

 

Portable players are limited in the number of formats they can support due to the sheer amount of memory space required to store the code needed to interpret each format.

Mmm well, no, the actual limiting factors are RAM and CPU power, not storage…

Q: Why not to support more formats?

A: Beause Sandisk puts very limited resources on fuze’s firmware development.

Look at rockbox, and the bunch of formats it supports

Aargh!  I only now discover that after updating from .26 to .31 I can’t skip to a next or previous track any more.  The buttons do work, in the menus, but when I play my audio, they simply don’t function. :(  Please help!

@georgecostanza wrote:

Aargh!  I only now discover that after updating from .26 to .31 I can’t skip to a next or previous track any more.  The buttons do work, in the menus, but when I play my audio, they simply don’t function. :(  Please help!

 

Perform a soft reset by holding the power button up for 15-20 seconds.  If that doesn’t work, then try reinstalling the firmware.  Something may have gotten corrupted when it was updated.

Which audio are you playing?  Audiobooks or music?  If audiobooks, you have to have the chapter mode on.

My firmware works great…  v01,02,31A  works great battery drain is fine… it’s good on batteries. I have no issues trying to skip to the next track…  I suggest doing a clean install format shut down devise hold on off button up for at least 20 secs then let it reboot…  Install the new firmware…  Unplug  add questions asked of you… then install your music. Enjoy your furze!  George  I have 3 v1’s I can’t speak for v2’s…  I love this unit and the helpful people at Sandisk…  They always go over board to help all of us out!  Thank you SanDisk Team!!   Good Job Well done!! 

Is was the OFF setting in the audiobooks settings that caused the no-skip problem - all fixed now, thanks!

Hi,

I just got a Sansa Fuze with the installed Firmware v02.02.26P. Do I have to worry about that “P” when I make a firmware update? Can I save the installed firmware with that P from the Sansa Fuze in case anything goes wrong with the update?

By the way, all the different versions of firmwares I have downloaded look alike, have the same name and size. Only the carrying zip-files have different names! Is that correct?

Thanks to anyone who helps,

notrabacho

P means pacific. if you selected rest of world firmware will show as P

@drlucky wrote:
P means pacific. if you selected rest of world firmware will show as P

Thanks for the info. When I first started the Fuze I really tried to avoid Europe, even though someone from SanDisk support mentioned to me that the reduced volume function was applied only to firmware versions after .26. But at the time of the initial setting procedure I didn’t know which firmware was on that player.

I have version .31 firmware downloaded from this location here, but I will wait with the update until problems show up and because I don’t know what improvements v.31 would provide. My only problem right now are a few weak MP3-voice files (audiobook) with very few peaks that prevent further amplifying without distortion. A firmware update probably would not help here.

The firmware descriptor is automatically appended to the end of the listing, showing the selected region.  The firmware is the same build for all regions.

I just had a thought.  Download mp3gain and normalize the gain of those quiet audiobooks, and you’re good to go!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@ neutron bob

 

Thanks for looking into my type of problem! So “firmware descriptor” is the key word to look for!

As far as my audio files are concerned, I already came across Version 1.3.4 Beta of MP3Gain on some download site of a computer magazine, but there under supported operating systems it listed only Win 98, Win NT 4.0, Win 2000 and Win Me. So I am trying Audacity 1.3.11-beta right now and specifically the amplifying option available in the effects menu where Audacity automatically calculates the maximum amount you could amplify the selected audio file without causing clipping. It lets you even mark the option to amplify above dB 0,0, but I wonder whether this would be good for the Fuze and especially my ears. I think if I just could cut away or reduce those few peaks then the main part of my audio files could be amplified without clipping. Since I am not a great expert in working with audio files, it might take me some time though.