Sansa Fuze Firmware Update 01.02.26 & 02.02.26

@conversionbox wrote:

@rainbreak wrote:

This thread seems to be going pretty  fast :dizzy_face:.  It’s doubled in size since last time I checked yesterday.  Anyway, I am really disappointed in this firmware.  Don’t get me wrong, all the new features are very nice and some have been desperately needed.  The problem is when you can’t get your Fuze to turn on.  I posted about it yesterday, and still have found no cure – formatting, reinstalling firmware, reset to factory settings, etc.  No matter what, I have to hold the slider up in excess of 3 minutes four or five times just to get the thing to turn on.  And it’s getting worse – it seem like every time I turn it off it takes longer to turn back on.  It’ll also turn on and get stuck at the welcome screen.

Once I do get it to turn on, the device acts competely normal.  I can even connect it to my computer normally (when it’s shut off, my computer now refuses to see it).  This is really frustrating, and I’m trying to contact Sandisk to try and see if they know what’s going on… in the meanwhile, is there a way to uninstall the new firmware and go back to the previous? I would like to know if it is really the firmware’s fault in the end (though it did begin right after I upgraded).  Thanks.

You seem to be the only one haveing this exact issue. I would contact tech support and see if anyone else has this happen. If not then ask about an RMA, because it sounds defective. 

I was having the same problem, but since rolling back to the previous firmware, everything is working and behaving normally and as it should.

@hulksmashnow wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

@rainbreak wrote:

This thread seems to be going pretty  fast :dizzy_face:.  It’s doubled in size since last time I checked yesterday.  Anyway, I am really disappointed in this firmware.  Don’t get me wrong, all the new features are very nice and some have been desperately needed.  The problem is when you can’t get your Fuze to turn on.  I posted about it yesterday, and still have found no cure – formatting, reinstalling firmware, reset to factory settings, etc.  No matter what, I have to hold the slider up in excess of 3 minutes four or five times just to get the thing to turn on.  And it’s getting worse – it seem like every time I turn it off it takes longer to turn back on.  It’ll also turn on and get stuck at the welcome screen.

Once I do get it to turn on, the device acts competely normal.  I can even connect it to my computer normally (when it’s shut off, my computer now refuses to see it).  This is really frustrating, and I’m trying to contact Sandisk to try and see if they know what’s going on… in the meanwhile, is there a way to uninstall the new firmware and go back to the previous? I would like to know if it is really the firmware’s fault in the end (though it did begin right after I upgraded).  Thanks.

You seem to be the only one haveing this exact issue. I would contact tech support and see if anyone else has this happen. If not then ask about an RMA, because it sounds defective. 

I was having the same problem, but since rolling back to the previous firmware, everything is working and behaving normally and as it should.

Interesting…no issues with mine at all.

@mngrif

I have a v1 Fuze and hove checked folder mode.  It Doesn’t skip.  I did format my database before adding new songs and trying it, so maybe that will solve your problem.

Now for my problems:cry: I have found that my folders appear incorrectly on my Fuze.  The shorter ones appear just fine, but the long ones do not.  I have started another thread on this, and since it is an issue with the current firmware release, I wanted to point whoever was interested to it.

I’m having major grief with this firmware update - every time the firmware installs OK but the Fuze hangs on the “refreshing” screen. I suspect this is due to the use of OGGs of which I have many. I can successfully play these with the older firmware.

I’ve tried complete reformatting both on the PC and on the player.

Could this be due to the changes supporting images in OGG files?

Please help!

Thanks,

Mike.

@miltst wrote:

@dalaug234 wrote:

Like the update. thanks for supporting the device this way!

Question.  The folders, which is fine, shows all my podcasts or audiobooks on my card as music.  They were taggedaas Podcasts or Audiobook.  When I was on ‘play all’ it played one of those.  Yes they do show up under Podcasts and Aundiobooks.  But also as “music”.  Same with the Audiobooks.  If I want to just listen to music and not near my player I won’t have the opportunity go to the next “song”.  I don’t have another card with me to see if it’s just this card.  I did shut the player off, take the card out, turn the player on, shut it off, put the card in and it’s the same.

Did you put the podcasts in the PODCASTS folder, and the audiobooks in the AUDIOBOOKS ? If you did, and the ID3 tags are correct, then they should not be showing up with your music. Nor will they accidently start playing when you are listening to music with shuffle on.

If you put podcast or audiobook files anywhere else instead of inside the 2 folders specified for them, then they very likely will show up in your music list (and very likely also play in between other music when shuffle is turned on).

Just as a side note: If you put an empty microSD(HC) card into the Fuze and then turn it on, it will automatically create those 2 folders on the memory card for you just in case you want to put podcasts or audiobooks on the card instead of the internal memory. However, Audible audiobooks (.aa files) will always go in a seperate special AUDIBLE folder on the internal memory. As far as I know, audiobooks from Audible can not be played from an external memory card.

Yes I did.  When I go to the main screen, choose music, choose podcast or audiobook they are there.  Even the one audiobook I have on the internal memoryand the 2 or 3 podcasts I have on internal memory.    The  Folders section for both internal and external do not have a folder for audiobook or podcast.  On the folders they are under Music.  And they have played while I was listening to the “play all” feature and “shuffle”.  Since it’s almost always on me I can FF to the next “song” but if it’s not, then it will play them at random and I will have to stop what I’m doing to FF to a song if I’m not interested in listening to the book or podcast.  And at last count (doesn’t show it now–I may fix it later) I had quite a few podcasts on my card.

I have no Audible audiobooks on this.

@xcfan wrote:

@mngrif

I have a v1 Fuze and hove checked folder mode.  It Doesn’t skip.  I did format my database before adding new songs and trying it, so maybe that will solve your problem.

Now for my problems:cry: I have found that my folders appear incorrectly on my Fuze.  The shorter ones appear just fine, but the long ones do not.  I have started another thread on this, and since it is an issue with the current firmware release, I wanted to point whoever was interested to it.

I can see where all kinds of hell is about to break loose for people that want to use both MTP mode and Folder view navigation from the way MTP sometimes messes around with folder and file names by sticking numbers in front. I gave up on MTP mode some time ago after if noticed all the problems it was creating for me (messing up folder/file names, corrupting files, etc. all eventually causing player lock ups or freezing).

I don’t know if there is a flaw in the Sandisk implementation of Microsoft’s MTP mode idea, or if it (most likely) is just more of the (usually screwed up) Microsoft stuff . All I do know is that virtually everone that uses MTP eventually has problems, while hardly any of the people that use MSC mode ever have any problems.

@parsonsm wrote:

I’m having major grief with this firmware update - every time the firmware installs OK but the Fuze hangs on the “refreshing” screen. I suspect this is due to the use of OGGs of which I have many. I can successfully play these with the older firmware.

I’ve tried complete reformatting both on the PC and on the player.

Could this be due to the changes supporting images in OGG files?

Please help!

Thanks,

Mike.

I’m not sure if it was in this thread or somewhere else, but there was one other person that had mentioned a problem being caused by some certain tagging program he had used on his OGG files. He later found out that using a different tagging program solved his problem. Try doing a search for something like OOG tags or tagging. Hopefully you’ll be able to find out more about his situation.

Thanks - I guess the tagging must be suspect if the firmware has changed in this regard.

FYI I’m converting my CDs to Flacs using Winamp, then to OGG Vorbis using oggdropXPd V1.9.0 (libvorbis 1.2.0).

BTW, the sound quality of the these OGG files (at q6) is fantastic on the Fuze - much better than the equivalent size MP3.

Maybe I’ll have to stick with the old firmware :frowning:

Mike.

@parsonsm wrote:

Thanks - I guess the tagging must be suspect if the firmware has changed in this regard.

FYI I’m converting my CDs to Flacs using Winamp, then to OGG Vorbis using oggdropXPd V1.9.0 (libvorbis 1.2.0).

BTW, the sound quality of the these OGG files (at q6) is fantastic on the Fuze - much better than the equivalent size MP3.

Maybe I’ll have to stick with the old firmware :frowning:

Mike.

Take a look at this and see if it’s of any help.

I am having the same problem as Dalaug234… Audio/pod etc are in the music files. And yes, they are tagged as correctly using wmp. That is how I got them to show up in podcast and audiobook before the upgrade.

I also am having intermittent times when the player is hard to turn back on and takes trying several things several times before it comes back on and then when it does come on it refreshed database.

I just wanted to let others know I am also having some of these problems.

@sahm wrote:

I am having the same problem as Dalaug234… Audio/pod etc are in the music files. And yes, they are tagged as correctly using wmp. That is how I got them to show up in podcast and audiobook before the upgrade.

I also am having intermittent times when the player is hard to turn back on and takes trying several things several times before it comes back on and then when it does come on it refreshed database.

I just wanted to let others know I am also having some of these problems.

But, did you put the files in the Audiobook and Podcast folders (where the should be)? As I mentioned in another reply to this problem, if you put the files anywhere else outside of those folders they will show up in your music list also.

miltst: thanks for the reply - very helpful.

Well it’s looking like a Ogg Vorbis tagging incompatibility with the new firmware.

I am really disappointed in this firmware update if I can’t play all my Ogg files. I’m reluctant to try and reorder all the tags in thousands of files just for the Fuze - surely if the earlier firmware worked fine then the new should too?

Please could Sansa reply on this matter?

Thanks,

Mike.

@parsonsm wrote:

miltst: thanks for the reply - very helpful.

Well it’s looking like a Ogg Vorbis tagging incompatibility with the new firmware.

I am really disappointed in this firmware update if I can’t play all my Ogg files. I’m reluctant to try and reorder all the tags in thousands of files just for the Fuze - surely if the earlier firmware worked fine then the new should too?

Please could Sansa reply on this matter?

Thanks,

Mike.

Surely you could go back to the previous firmware if it worked better for you. The new features are not so earth-shattering that you would miss out on a whole lot.

Even if Sansa is going to fix this, it will not be quick as in weeks.

@miltst wrote:

@xcfan wrote:

@mngrif

I can see where all kinds of hell is about to break loose for people that want to use both MTP mode and Folder view navigation from the way MTP sometimes messes around with folder and file names by sticking numbers in front. I gave up on MTP mode some time ago after if noticed all the problems it was creating for me (messing up folder/file names, corrupting files, etc. all eventually causing player lock ups or freezing).

I don’t know if there is a flaw in the Sandisk implementation of Microsoft’s MTP mode idea, or if it (most likely) is just more of the (usually screwed up) Microsoft stuff . All I do know is that virtually everone that uses MTP eventually has problems, while hardly any of the people that use MSC mode ever have any problems.

Hmm, do you not like Microsoft or something?  I can’t quite tell.:stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway,  I have a couple of gripes with the new firmware.  First, it seems to have changed what a button press does when the screen has gone to sleep.  It used to be that I could play a podcast and then press the down button and it would bring the screen back on, but not change it from the “playing” screen.  Now, when the screen’s asleep, I press down and the screen comes back but it also changes to the info screen (Back to Podcast, Track Info, etc.).  This is kind of annoying when all I want to do is look at the position in the file without having the screen change.  I’m trying to save some battery life by not having the screen on all the time.

The other thing I’ve noticed is that the folder view is separated by internal and external memory.  Obviously that’s how it was intended, but it would be much more useful if I could browse all of my folders regardless of storage location.  If I have a ton of folders randomly loaded I’m not going to remember which artists or albums are on which drive.  Is there a reason it was designed this way?

I do like the update to an 8000 song maximum and I like the idea of folder view, generally.  I was excited when I read about it.  Unfortunately, it’s not really useful to me being broken up how it is.

Message Edited by bbexperience on 04-10-2009 09:37 AM

I have found another problem.  I have a 10 CD collection and I have it as:

MUSIC/Album Name/Disc#

When I see it in windows explorer it is

Disc 1, Disc 2, Disc 3, Disc4, Disc 5, Disc 6, Disc 7, Disc 8, Disc 9, Disc 10

but on the Fuze it says

Disc 1, Disc 2, Disc 3, Disc4, Disc 5, Disc 6, Disc 7, Disc 8, Disc 9

and Disc 10 is put with Disc 1.

Any ideas?

Also, everything except the song and video count stay at 0, even though there are files in them.

XC Fan

I really think the folder feature is really nice. You can finally see what was wrong with a song, like if it is a unsupported format. Nice job Sandisk!

the Disc 1 , Disc 10, Disc 2 is the way they are suppose to sort. you think of it as 10 but the sorting sees it as “1” followed by “0”

here’s a few correct sorts (try them in a database or spreadsheet)

Disc 01, Disc 02 … Disc 10 (all the0s come before all the 1s)

or Disc 01, Disc 02 … Disc10 (spaces come before numbers)

it’s symbols, numbers, then letters

I do this with my email boxes (I uses “_” to keep important folders at the top and “z_” to push folders to the end)

windows explorer sorts them wrong

@lyd753 wrote:

windows explorer sorts them wrong

That’s not intirely true. How Windows Explorer sorts things depends on which View mode you selected and also which top column field heading you click on.  You can also make it keep things in whatever order you put them in some of the viewing modes.

As such, if you select List in View mode it will display like this:

It will also then display things like you mentioned if there are more than only a single number like this:

And, the Fuze in Folder view also follows the simply rules you mentioned. That’s really pretty standard stuff for file names. Unfortunately not many of the newer computer users seem to be aware of it. Had they ever worked with DOS or Linux they would have learned it LOL.

Thanks, but actually, Disc 10 doesn’t even show up.  The files show up with disc 1.

I have found that if I change the numbering to 01, 02… 10, 11,  It will show up!

@xcfan wrote:

Also, everything except the song and video count stay at 0, even though there are files in them.

XC Fan

This has been mentioned several time already and there are several people (including myself) that trying to figure out just exactly why and under what circumstances it is happening. So far, I’ve found that if there are no Photo files on mine then in System Info it will show the correct number of audiobooks and podcasts on mine.

However, if I add photos, then all 3 (audiobooks, podcasts, and photos) change to 0 files. If I delete the photo files, then the numbers for audiobooks and podcast change back to the correct number again.

Later, for some reason, when I added photos only one (forget which, either audiobooks or podcasts) changed to 0. Here again, if I then delete the photo files the other numbers return back to the correct values again.

Since this has been mentioned several times already I’m pretty sure that someone at Sandisk is already trying to figure out why it is occuring also. Unfortunately, we’ll just have to wait until the next firmware comes out (which could be quite a while from now) unless someone figures out a work around to temporarilly solve the problem.