Sansa Fuze Firmware Update 01.02.26 & 02.02.26

Because inserting an external card refreshes the MTP database regardless of the mode setting its advisable to reformat the internal storage to resize the database to accomodate large external cards in EITHER MTP or MSC modes.

The smaller MTP database MAY accomodate more than 4000 songs,  but it will not accomodate up to 8000 songs.

Sorry for the confusion.

Replaygain, Track Info, Folder Navigation: Brutal!! :smileyvery-happy:

@sahm wrote:

I just added the new firmware and I am still checking out all the features. The first thing  I noticed was that when you go to settings and information, The number of songs are listed, but the number of podcast, audiobook, and pictures are zero. The files are still available on my fuze.

 

Message Edited by sahm on 04-09-2009 09:41 AM

I have some pictures and audiobooks, and all the values are also zero, except “Songs”.

Anyone else?

Just to check Track Info functionality, are these all the items that may appear:
Page1- Filename; Artist; Album; Genre; Year; Duration; Size;

Page2- CODEC; Track Gain; Album Gain; Bit Rate; Sample Rate; Track number; Disc number. ?

Trying to add items to GoList in Folder Navigation using Press and Hold doesn’t work. Is this normal behavior?

Yes.  Press and hold in Folder navigation mode is not implemented for various reasons. 

Stupid question.I have an 8gb Fuze, all my music is on a 8 gb card.Do I need to remove the card first then reformat the device,then slide card back in?

@eardrum wrote:

Replaygain, Track Info, Folder Navigation: Brutal!! :smileyvery-happy:

 

 

 


@sahm wrote:

I just added the new firmware and I am still checking out all the features. The first thing  I noticed was that when you go to settings and information, The number of songs are listed, but the number of podcast, audiobook, and pictures are zero. The files are still available on my fuze.

 

Message Edited by sahm on 04-09-2009 09:41 AM


I have some pictures and audiobooks, and all the values are also zero, except “Songs”.

Anyone else?

 

At first (until I read about this problem) I did not have any photos on my Fuze, and when I looked in System Info it _did_ show the correct number of podcast and audiobook files on my Fuze. I copied back the backup file folders of the original photos that came on it (I had made a backup copy of those on my computer right after I a got it).

After I put the photo files back on the Fuze, and after it refreshed the database, all 3 of the items (podcasts, audiobooks, and photos) all then showed zero files in System Info.

I then went back and deleted the photo files/folders that I had added above, and after it refreshed in System Info it reverted back to showing the correct number of podcast and audiobook files in System Info.

There does’s seem to be something messed up with this part of the new firmeware!!!

The white indicator bar disappears for a second or two when the volume is adjusted.  It doesn’t happen all the time, but frequently.  The songs play just fine, and I tried it with different settings – replay gain on/off, repeat on/off, shuffle on/off, all three off and all three on.  Also, when it’s on pause.  It still happens for each setting.

Re the 0 count for podcasts and audiobooks:

On the 8Gb Fuze, I reformatted the device (msc AND mtp modes) and then re-dropped the firmware in mtp mode.

* Audible books are added to the count (MTP mode) only if they’re transferred via the Audible Manager. This updates the database with the track, artist, album, year.  (the 4Gb Fuze shows the audiobook count correctly even though I just dumped the Audible files back on it.)

* neither the 4Gb  nor the 8Gb Fuze shows a correct Podcast count. Both show 0.

* Taking the 4Gb to MSC mode and copying down files to the podcast and audio folders in Windows explorer: both counts change correctly. The 8GB: neither count changes.

Strange. 

I’ve been experiencing a variety of problems since updating to this new firmware.

 

1. After installing it successfully and marveling at folder navigation, I turned my Fuze off.  It then would not turn back on, nor do anything when connected to my computer.  Nothing.  I took out my 8GB microSD card and it then turned on just fine, as well as connected to my computer just fine.

 

2.  Later on, I made a large playlist (right click, “Create Playlist”) and went to play it.  The Fuze was stuck on pause and then skipped through the songs one by one without me doing anything.  The only way stop it was to shut the Fuze off.

 

3.  Some songs won’t play and cause the Fuze to lock up.  The only way to fix it is to shut the Fuze off.

 

Should I just downgrade to the old firmware for now, or what?

Thanks.

This thread seems to be going pretty  fast :dizzy_face:.  It’s doubled in size since last time I checked yesterday.  Anyway, I am really disappointed in this firmware.  Don’t get me wrong, all the new features are very nice and some have been desperately needed.  The problem is when you can’t get your Fuze to turn on.  I posted about it yesterday, and still have found no cure – formatting, reinstalling firmware, reset to factory settings, etc.  No matter what, I have to hold the slider up in excess of 3 minutes four or five times just to get the thing to turn on.  And it’s getting worse – it seem like every time I turn it off it takes longer to turn back on.  It’ll also turn on and get stuck at the welcome screen.

Once I do get it to turn on, the device acts competely normal.  I can even connect it to my computer normally (when it’s shut off, my computer now refuses to see it).  This is really frustrating, and I’m trying to contact Sandisk to try and see if they know what’s going on… in the meanwhile, is there a way to uninstall the new firmware and go back to the previous? I would like to know if it is really the firmware’s fault in the end (though it did begin right after I upgraded).  Thanks.

@rainbreak wrote:

This thread seems to be going pretty  fast :dizzy_face:.  It’s doubled in size since last time I checked yesterday.  Anyway, I am really disappointed in this firmware.  Don’t get me wrong, all the new features are very nice and some have been desperately needed.  The problem is when you can’t get your Fuze to turn on.  I posted about it yesterday, and still have found no cure – formatting, reinstalling firmware, reset to factory settings, etc.  No matter what, I have to hold the slider up in excess of 3 minutes four or five times just to get the thing to turn on.  And it’s getting worse – it seem like every time I turn it off it takes longer to turn back on.  It’ll also turn on and get stuck at the welcome screen.

 

Once I do get it to turn on, the device acts competely normal.  I can even connect it to my computer normally (when it’s shut off, my computer now refuses to see it).  This is really frustrating, and I’m trying to contact Sandisk to try and see if they know what’s going on… in the meanwhile, is there a way to uninstall the new firmware and go back to the previous? I would like to know if it is really the firmware’s fault in the end (though it did begin right after I upgraded).  Thanks.

You seem to be the only one haveing this exact issue. I would contact tech support and see if anyone else has this happen. If not then ask about an RMA, because it sounds defective. 

Yeah, conversionbox, I was thinking I may have to go that route.  I simply can’t comprehend how a firmware update could mess up my Fuze enough that it doesn’t even want to turn on…  Ah well. :cry:

@rainbreak wrote:
Yeah, conversionbox, I was thinking I may have to go that route.  I simply can’t comprehend how a firmware update could mess up my Fuze enough that it doesn’t even want to turn on…  Ah well. :cry:

I mean you could try to roll it back but I’m thinking if this was a wide spread issue we would have heard about it more.

I made an account just for this post :slight_smile:

First off, I want to thank everyone at Sansa for staying in touch with the community like you are. You don’t see this kind of love from many companies, and we all deeply appreciate it!

What I’m working with: A 4GB Fuze v1 + 2GB SanDisk uSD (and Koss Plugs, for those interested) 

Now, on to the bad. After installing the update the “Refreshing Your Media” stalled for a solid 10 minutes. Normally this doesn’t take more than a minute for me, so I decided to be patient. After it didn’t go, I shut off the Fuze and removed the card. After a much faster Refresh it didn’t hang and did it’s usual “yay new firmware!” bit. I made sure it still worked as-advertised (which it does), and tried putting the uSD back in. Same problem. A full 10 minutes later I shut it off and I’m currently backing the card up so I can format it and reload it (FAT32 is a nasty filesystem…). *edit before posting:* I just did that and it’s doing the same thing again. It’s hanging at about 90%, so I removed the bottom 10% (alphabetically) from the uSD and it refreshed the media just fine. When I have some time I’ll add songs back one at a time to find the culprit and I’ll let you know if there’s anything weird about it (probably just a corrupted header).

Now for the really bad… Pressing and holding “next” while listening to a song in Folder mode (YAAAY!!!) does not fast forward! It changes songs, and keeps changing them as long as you have it held down.  I’m absolutely positive this isn’t the intended action because in every other view it fast forwards, which is why I’m bringing it up. Since I mostly listen to hour+ long DJ mixes, this pretty much makes the folder view useless :frowning:

Again, many thanks to Sansa for being involved, and many thanks to the community for helping each other out. I’ve been lurking on these forums since I got my Fuze and every question I’ve had has been answered without me needing to ask it. You rock! 

@mngrif wrote:

I made an account just for this post :slight_smile:

 

First off, I want to thank everyone at Sansa for staying in touch with the community like you are. You don’t see this kind of love from many companies, and we all deeply appreciate it!

 

What I’m working with: A 4GB Fuze v1 + 2GB SanDisk uSD (and Koss Plugs, for those interested) 

 

Now, on to the bad. After installing the update the “Refreshing Your Media” stalled for a solid 10 minutes. Normally this doesn’t take more than a minute for me, so I decided to be patient. After it didn’t go, I shut off the Fuze and removed the card. After a much faster Refresh it didn’t hang and did it’s usual “yay new firmware!” bit. I made sure it still worked as-advertised (which it does), and tried putting the uSD back in. Same problem. A full 10 minutes later I shut it off and I’m currently backing the card up so I can format it and reload it (FAT32 is a nasty filesystem…). *edit before posting:* I just did that and it’s doing the same thing again. It’s hanging at about 90%, so I removed the bottom 10% (alphabetically) from the uSD and it refreshed the media just fine. When I have some time I’ll add songs back one at a time to find the culprit and I’ll let you know if there’s anything weird about it (probably just a corrupted header).

 

Now for the really bad… Pressing and holding “next” while listening to a song in Folder mode (YAAAY!!!) does not fast forward! It changes songs, and keeps changing them as long as you have it held down.  I’m absolutely positive this isn’t the intended action because in every other view it fast forwards, which is why I’m bringing it up. Since I mostly listen to hour+ long DJ mixes, this pretty much makes the folder view useless :frowning:

 

Again, many thanks to Sansa for being involved, and many thanks to the community for helping each other out. I’ve been lurking on these forums since I got my Fuze and every question I’ve had has been answered without me needing to ask it. You rock! 

Good catch on the fast forward thing (Just tried it myslef and yup it just skips). As for the corruption, try switching to msc mode loading the songs back on the player, and then running the chkdsk utility, that may help.

@conversionbox wrote:


@mngrif wrote:

 

Now for the really bad… Pressing and holding “next” while listening to a song in Folder mode (YAAAY!!!) does not fast forward! It changes songs, and keeps changing them as long as you have it held down.  I’m absolutely positive this isn’t the intended action because in every other view it fast forwards, which is why I’m bringing it up. Since I mostly listen to hour+ long DJ mixes, this pretty much makes the folder view useless :frowning:

 


Good catch on the fast forward thing (Just tried it myslef and yup it just skips). As for the corruption, try switching to msc mode loading the songs back on the player, and then running the chkdsk utility, that may help.

Do both of you happen to have V1 models? Reason I ask is because the FF and RW work just fine on the V2 that I have. The hold left/right to FF/RW and single click to step to next/previous work exactly the same as they always have before even in Folder/File mode on mine.

I have a V1, and holding down Next works fine for me with songs in Folder mode.

@miltst wrote:


@conversionbox wrote:


@mngrif wrote:

 

Now for the really bad… Pressing and holding “next” while listening to a song in Folder mode (YAAAY!!!) does not fast forward! It changes songs, and keeps changing them as long as you have it held down.  I’m absolutely positive this isn’t the intended action because in every other view it fast forwards, which is why I’m bringing it up. Since I mostly listen to hour+ long DJ mixes, this pretty much makes the folder view useless :frowning:

 


Good catch on the fast forward thing (Just tried it myslef and yup it just skips). As for the corruption, try switching to msc mode loading the songs back on the player, and then running the chkdsk utility, that may help.


Do both of you happen to have V1 models? Reason I ask is because the FF and RW work just fine on the V2 that I have. The hold left/right to FF/RW and single click to step to next/previous work exactly the same as they always have before even in Folder/File mode on mine.

 

I made a Boo Boo (as my little cousin who is watching his music sync to his newly updated fuze on my desktop pc would say). On my test I did it on an audiobook which I just threw on and did not set up properly.

@conversionbox wrote:


I made a Boo Boo (as my little cousin who is watching his music sync to his newly updated fuze on my desktop pc would say). On my test I did it on an audiobook which I just threw on and did not set up properly.

I’m not sure how it is intended to work with audiobooks in Folder/File View mode. I have a set of MP3’s as an audiobook on mine and if I go in Folder View, then into Audiobooks and play it… it will still let me FF/RW even the the Chapter setting is set to off.

However, the exact same audiobook file(s) will not FF/RW when played thru the normal (original) menu system. I have to change the Chapter mode setting to on to be able to FF/RW when playing it the old original way (not Folder View). This, of course, is the way it was intended to work.

So, not sure which way you were trying to test things there CB. Maybe ya should give the player to your cousin and have him explain it to ya LOL. Young kids these days seem to know how to do a lot more things than I ever could have imagined back at that age. And, many of them can work with stuff that I can’t even begin to understand at all now LOL.

@miltst wrote:


@conversionbox wrote:


I made a Boo Boo (as my little cousin who is watching his music sync to his newly updated fuze on my desktop pc would say). On my test I did it on an audiobook which I just threw on and did not set up properly.


 

I’m not sure how it is intended to work with audiobooks in Folder/File View mode. I have a set of MP3’s as an audiobook on mine and if I go in Folder View, then into Audiobooks and play it… it will still let me FF/RW even the the Chapter setting is set to off.

 

However, the exact same audiobook file(s) will not FF/RW when played thru the normal (original) menu system. I have to change the Chapter mode setting to on to be able to FF/RW when playing it the old original way (not Folder View). This, of course, is the way it was intended to work.

 

So, not sure which way you were trying to test things there CB. Maybe ya should give the player to your cousin and have him explain it to ya LOL. Young kids these days seem to know how to do a lot more things than I ever could have imagined back at that age. And, many of them can work with stuff that I can’t even begin to understand at all now LOL.

 

Im only 21 so Im still pretty Quick, and he is 4 and can only read the menu that says songs and then play all (He is still learning the rest) so I doubt he can help. Ill ask him though. What I need to do tomorrow (Its movie time here now) is set up some stuff for folder nav (At this point my tags are almost perfect) and test it out on both the internal and external memory system and see what happens

Yep, that would be the best thing to do CB, especially since you would have many more types of files (of both audio and audiobooks) than I do. And, of course, for anything to work properly on the Fuze all the ID3 tags do need to be done correctly. Don’t know if that could have been the other persons problem with FF and RW though or not.

Ya say your only 21 ah? I was already older than that when the first Radio Shack TRS-80 came out. My first so-called computer was a Balley Game machine with a game cartridge that had Palo Alto Tiny Basic on it. Later, (after several other devices) my first actual PC ran DOS 3.3.

You could say I pre-date computers because I was already married and had a daughter back when Steve Jobs, the Whoz, and Bill Gates were just starting to figure out how to make a home computer and/or OS for one.

That should give you some idea how old (and slow) I am now LOL.