Sansa Fuze+ Firmware 02.38.06

How long should it take the database to initialize?

@njones wrote:

How long should it take the database to initialize?

Depends on how many files it has to read.

For my Fuze+, I keep the expansion memory limited to 4GB; refresh times are pretty fast, under 30 seconds at the most following transfers of housekeeping tasks.  Your refresh time is shorted using MTP mode (the device also limits database refresh to sessions having an actual file transfer, rather than every time it’s plugged in).

Clean images and ID3 tags speeds up the process quite a bit.

Rockbox has the cool function of updating the database in the background, a functionality I’d personally welcome in the original firmware.  One can always dream…

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

I was overly enthusiastic about Rockbox a few posts back. After using it for awhile I generally boot into Sansa mode. Hopefully Rockbox improves enough to be better than the Sansa firmware. At the present time that’s not the case. Charging doesn’t work right with Rockbox, and usability is limited.

@ezagent wrote:

Charging doesn’t work right with Rockbox, and usability is limited.

Are you sure? http://git.rockbox.org/?p=rockbox.git;a=commit;h=f7f1f7023f94a0c1f00033235f0f9d9ab51a1b3f Should be implemented and no one else has mentioned it not working.

How do you install the latest version of Rockbox on the fuze+? Does the RB utility work yet?

@njones wrote:

How do you install the latest version of Rockbox on the fuze+? Does the RB utility work yet?

Wouldn’t it be quicker just to check the Rockbox site?

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/TargetStatus#New_Platforms_Currently_Under_De

I don’t know where Rockbox for the Fuze Plus is discussed but to answer the question, am I sure about charging and useability, my experience has been that charging is incredibly slow. I haven’t reached a hundred percent with the wire attached while booted into Rockbox. And I can’t say I’ve experimented with charging enough to comment definitively.

While using the player booted into Rockbox the touchpad is difficult to figure out, I’ve had the experience of menus scrolling virtually out of control, looping into sub-menus and general mayhem. I definitely prefer to charge booted into Sansa, and in general I prefer Sansa. Hopefully Rockbox development continues with regular updates and quickly surpasses 2.38.06. For the time being, in my opinion, Rockbox for the Fuze Plus is interesting but not ready for primetime consumption. Not that it claims to be either.

Charging WAS mentioned before as NOT working on their site

but wether its been fixed in a newer build i have no idea… i still havn’t tried rockbox

And to the guy asking how long it takes to load, obviously it depends on how much it has to load etc…

Which is why i have but do NOT use my micro sd card. My 8 gig player has more than enough.

The aditional time it takes to load up the memory card is not worth the extras space to me

So i’d have to say my player loads pretty fast… no complaints here

I have no problems with the firmware, but, i wouldn’t mind it going by the album artist under artist, instead of going by the individual songs artist. Because, I have a few albums that are various artist, but under the artist menu all the songs are put in their own artist selection.

For example: I have Punk Goes Pop Volume 4, which is a Various Artist album. But instead of the player putting it in Various artist it has them all separate. Like the August Burns Red selection has just the one song off of Punk Goes Pop. But I’d like it to be under various artists. I want to know who did the song, but I want all of the songs to be together in the artist menu.

I think if the player went off of the “album artist” instead of the songs artist it would fix the problem.

No problem!  Recalculating!   Is your battery better now?  Menu?  Scrolling!!   How’s that!

Stable as a church pew, my man!  Uh, can you spare an aspirin?

Rockbox for the Fuze+ is a work in progress, right?  You can still expect some…mayhem.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@ezagent wrote:

While using the player booted into Rockbox the touchpad is difficult to figure out, I’ve had the experience of menus scrolling virtually out of control, looping into sub-menus and general mayhem. I definitely prefer to charge booted into Sansa, and in general I prefer Sansa. Hopefully Rockbox development continues with regular updates and quickly surpasses 2.38.06. For the time being, in my opinion, Rockbox for the Fuze Plus is interesting but not ready for primetime consumption. Not that it claims to be either.

I installed it on mine for about 10 minutes, and I was finding it  even harder to maneuver through the menus than with the Sansa firmware.:dizzy_face:

I’m a big proponent of Rockbox…I’ve used it on several Fuzes, a couple of Clip+'s, three Clip Zips, and I have the Rockbox app on my Android device. However, it is far from ready on the Fuze+…although in this case I blame the hardware…lol.

last updated on 07-15-2011 ?

It would be nice if sansa could give us an indication if there is any new firmware in the works.

For example because of the Flac album artist vorbis comment tag bug

i had to go through and remove about 5,000 tag fields so i could see the artist name

instead of “ARTIST NAME =” …so ya uhhm there is other things that could be mentioned

but my point is that there ARE things that could be fixed still… sooooo…

Whasup Sansa ???

If the device is discontinued the say so, then atleast you won’t have a whole community

waiting thinking something might be coming. Does that sound Fair ?

You know customers apreciate feedback. And what it is EXACTLY they are being told is not as important

What I’m driving at here *should be common sense. right ?

Anyway, if there was only one thing I could add/change or have fixed

I’d have to ignore the album artist issue (easy enough to work around)

And i would go with, PLEASE for the love of god give us a menu option to disable

resuming tracks !

Here is the usual scenario… Turn it on, select track, click play, and then, a popup

and everyone loves popups right ? ever heard of a pop up blocker ? lol

Ya so anyway, your forced into answering a 2 option menu yes or no on resume track

and after clicking past the option want about 5,6 or 7 times in a row you finally get to PLAY MUSIC

Tired of the sketchy skippin loopty doo runaround just to HIT PLAY

Historically, Sandisk has neither given advance notice of firmware updates nor formally announced the discontinuation of products. But after this long, it’s safe to assume the Fuze+ is discontinued and won’t be updated again. If it doesn’t meet your needs, it’s time to stop agonizing over it and move on to something else.

@marvin_martian wrote:

I installed it on mine for about 10 minutes, and I was finding it  even harder to maneuver through the menus than with the Sansa firmware.:dizzy_face:

I’m a big proponent of Rockbox…I’ve used it on several Fuzes, a couple of Clip+'s, three Clip Zips, and I have the Rockbox app on my Android device. However, it is far from ready on the Fuze+…although in this case I blame the hardware…lol.

The difference is that rockbox isn’t using gesture at all for the moment. So if you try scrolling list in rockbox you will get confused. The device itself has a sensibility value that can be set for test in the debug menu. As no one complains about it in the rockbox forum, the values seems to be a good compromise for now (althrough a little too high).

There is probably improvement to be done but let’s face it: If you post here about your probleö on rockbox you just can’t expect that anything will be done. :laughing:

Your reply is pretty predictable…

I hear ya, i know what your saying and “I knew that” but…

I was hoping to post a public statement so MAYBE something will change

and they may start informing people that BUY THEIR PRODUCTS

If you don’t TRY you don’t get anything in life :wink:

Im not agonizing over “it”

I’m a little disgusted in a company that turns their back on their customers once they have your money

And you and i may be aware this behaviour is standard practice for Sansa

but not everyone else, hence another reason for my post

Im content and i got my money worth out of my product already so there is no “agony”

What i was driving at is industry standard stuff and we all know it.

Google, Microsoft and various other types of hardware manufactures etc

routinely atleast post a information as to wether a device or product is considered

discontinued and wether you may or may not get any more support / new features etc…

And i’m sorry i had to basicly repeat myself here but based on your reply gwk1967

you clearly did not understand what i was saying, so hopefully i’ve articulated my thoughts a bit better

@metaphysicien wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

The difference is that rockbox isn’t using gesture at all for the moment. So if you try scrolling list in rockbox you will get confused. The device itself has a sensibility value that can be set for test in the debug menu. As no one complains about it in the rockbox forum, the values seems to be a good compromise for now (althrough a little too high).

There is probably improvement to be done but let’s face it: If you post here about your probleö on rockbox you just can’t expect that anything will be done. :laughing:

If I was really that concerned about it,  I would have researched it further and perhaps posted in the rockbox forum about it.

Rockbox seems to be part of the firmware discussion because it appears that we have to live with the Sansa firmware and hope that someday, Rockbox develops to the point where it exceeds Sansa’s effort. For me, I tried Rockbox because I want playlists with Linux. I can’t have playlists with Linux, I have to boot into Windows and create playlists with Windows Media Player.

Hopefully, the guys working on Rockbox are motivated and have the momentum to make it happen, but I have no control over that or Sansa refining their firmware to address usability issues.

As a linux user, my conclusion is that if you have a sansa fuze plus and you want playlists, you’ll have to boot into windows and create them with Windows Media Player, that’s the workaround. To the best of my knowledge, there is no other. I hope this info saves someone the time and hassle of searching for something else. Until Rockbox develops to a state of completion that actually eclipses 2.38.06 or the firmware evolves, what you have is what there is.

Despite the fact that firmware vesion 2.38.06 is less than ideal, the sansa fuze plus seems like a nice player for the money. I got mine for forty bucks, the battery lasts all day, it holds eight gigs, plays radio, uses micro sd, etc., etc.

@ezagent wrote:

Rockbox seems to be part of the firmware discussion because it appears that we have to live with the Sansa firmware and hope that someday, Rockbox develops to the point where it exceeds Sansa’s effort. For me, I tried Rockbox because I want playlists with Linux. I can’t have playlists with Linux, I have to boot into Windows and create playlists with Windows Media Player.

Hopefully, the guys working on Rockbox are motivated and have the momentum to make it happen, but I have no control over that or Sansa refining their firmware to address usability issues.

As a linux user, my conclusion is that if you have a sansa fuze plus and you want playlists, you’ll have to boot into windows and create them with Windows Media Player, that’s the workaround. To the best of my knowledge, there is no other. I hope this info saves someone the time and hassle of searching for something else. Until Rockbox develops to a state of completion that actually eclipses 2.38.06 or the firmware evolves, what you have is what there is.

Despite the fact that firmware vesion 2.38.06 is less than ideal, the sansa fuze plus seems like a nice player for the money. I got mine for forty bucks, the battery lasts all day, it holds eight gigs, plays radio, uses micro sd, etc., etc.

Both rockbox and the sandisk firmware support M3U files, which basically every linux music app in existence supports.

@saratoga wrote:

Both rockbox and the sandisk firmware support M3U files, which basically every linux music app in existence supports.

Any playlist I’ve ever transferred to the Fuze Plus using linux and 2.38.06 appears empty. If you know of a way to create m3u files in linux and transfer them to the Fuze+ so that they’re not empty, you my friend, are in possession of the holy grail. Give it up.

Problem with playlists ( M3U, M3U8’s)

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Fuze/Problem-with-playlists-M3U-M3U8-s/td-p/215076