Sansa Fuze crashes when playing multitrack ogg files

Hi,

on multitrack ogg files the player (firmware 02.03.33) crashes after playing the first track. It displays as length the sum of the length of all tracks, but it plays only the first track.

Is this a known issue (at least I didn’t find anything on this by using the forum search)?

The Fuze doesn’t play all the many versions of .ogg. You seem to have found one it doesn’t like. Stick to stereo.

Maybe I didn’t describe it correctly, but it has nothing to do with the number of channels. The files I was talking about are stereo files.

You can combine several single track ogg files to one multitrack ogg file by just concatenating them together. The result is one valid ogg file. After playing the first track of the so created multitrack file the player crashes. And even, if this kind of file is not supported, the player should not crash.

newfuze wrote:

Maybe I didn’t describe it correctly, but it has nothing to do with the number of channels. The files I was talking about are stereo files.

You can combine several single track ogg files to one multitrack ogg file by just concatenating them together. The result is one valid ogg file. After playing the first track of the so created multitrack file the player crashes. And even, if this kind of file is not supported, the player should not crash.

Your Fuze obviously doesn’t like this either.

@newfuze wrote:

While the spec says you can do that, in practice concatenating Ogg files together is an absolutely terrible way to do multitrack, and very little supports it.  This is particularly true for embedded devices where the standard makes a lot of assumptions about the kinds of resources that will be available that simply do not make sense for a portable device.  

FWIW rockbox won’t crash on your player with such files, but it will ignore any additional tracks since its completely impractical for a portable player to have to parse an entire file (which is often much larger then its entire memory!) to figure out how many subtracks are in it.