Sansa Fuze connects, but does not charge and does not appear on my computer.

Hello everyone. 

I have a 4Gb Sansa Fuze which is (of course) out of warranty.  I have been enjoying its music for some time and have had absolutely no problems with it until two days ago when it ran out of battery.  I left it in my car and the next day went to plug it in via USB to my computer.  The sansa started with its typical “start up” display reading "Sandisk Sansa, followed shortly by a blue moving ring and the words “Connected”, followed about a second later by “Writing”, followed a second later by “Connected”.  This is normal for my fuze (as far as I know).  However, the problem comes with the battery logo in the bottom right corner of the display, which normally shows a small “lightning bolt” next to the battery and it shows the battery “filling up”.  Now it only shows a blank white battery.  There is no lightning bolt, and there is no charging of the battery. 

I have attempted to view the sansa as a device via “My Computer”, and the Sync feature of Windows Media Player.  Neither of these show that I have anything at all connected.  The sansa updater also does not recognize that my Fuze is connected.  

I know for a fact that the USB charger is not faulty, as I also own a second Sansa Fuze which connects flawlessly and was bought at the same time.  I do not believe that it is the USB slot itself as I have changed the port to all the others and still have not had a change in the status of my (broken) sansa.  

If it helps this is the computer that I am connecting to:

HP Pavilion m7580n

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+

2GB DDR2 RAM 1.8 GHz

Windows XP Media Center Edition SP2

Thanks in advance for any assistance that can be given…

also, I would like to apologize if this has already been discussed (I read until my eyes hurt and could not find something similar).

Thanks again,

Josh

Message Edited by TomJensen on 05-03-2010 06:23 PM

What temperature range would cause a battery kill?  I currently live in Alabama…the coldest it has been this month (according to weather.com) has been 28 degrees Fahrenheit.  It would seem to me that it has seen much colder nights in my car when I lived in Ohio (last winter there were several times it would have been in my vehicle with temps dropping below the 20-30 degree range).

That could be it, I just cannot see why it would affect it now as opposed to when I lived in a “real” winter environment.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Any other ideas?

Message Edited by TomJensen on 05-03-2010 06:23 PM

UPDATE:

Apparently good things come to those who wait (and leave their Sansa Fuzes plugged in for days despite n oinitial hope that it will charge).  Today I woke up and found that my Sansa Fuze, which had previously not been charging had miraculously charged itself.  I unfortunately have no clue as to the reason for it to suddenly work.

Thanks for your assistance anyways!  It is nice to know that there is somewhere to come when your Sansa is broken…

Thanks again,

Josh:smileyvery-happy: