Sansa Fuze and 2010 Prius USB interface

OK, wikipedia has an article on MTP, MSC, etc. Do you think Apple uses MTP??? According to Wikipedia, MTP is “part of the ‘Windows Media’ framework”… I would think they’d avoid using a Windows based protocol…

Here I am, talking to myself - The simplest thing to do might be wipe one of the Fuzes of data, switch to MTP, toss a few songs on there, and see what happens when I plug it into the Prius.

@telkwa wrote:
OK, wikipedia has an article on MTP, MSC, etc. Do you think Apple uses MTP??? According to Wikipedia, MTP is “part of the ‘Windows Media’ framework”… I would think they’d avoid using a Windows based protocol…

Apple uses MSC for USB transfers, although it writes additional information over MSC that a lot of things don’t understand (the iTunes database file).

The files are transferred in MTP mode.When its connected to the Prius,  it only supports MSC mode. :) 

Since a lot of people have doPi players, it would make more sense for Prius to use MSC.

I really agree with you black,service manager is annoying.Apple cable is not compatible with the Fuze.

“The files are transferred in MTP mode.When its connected to the Prius, it only supports MSC mode.” I’m sorry, whatever it is that the poster is saying is lost on me. What files are transferred in MTP? And are you saying the Prius only supports MSC, or your player? BTW, I emailed Toyota Customer Support and asked them for the specifics. I’ll let you know if I get anything useful from them.

Here’s the answer from Toyota: “Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc. We appreciate the opportunity to address your inquiry. We apologize; the USB port for your 2010 Prius only recognizes USB flash drives formatted with file systems FAT 16 or FAT 32, and some iPod models. The Prius’ audio system was not designed to enable control of the Sansa Fuze when it is connected via the vehicle’s USB port. The best way to use your device with the audio system in your Prius would be to purchase a male-to-male 1/8” (3.5mm) cable, connecting the headphone jack of the MP3 player to the AUX port on your vehicle. Alternatively, you may wish to load a FAT-formatted flash drive with your music for in-vehicle listening. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us." I specifically asked whether the Prius uses MSC or MTP. I also asked why some mini-jack audio cables work but most don’t. The reply was helpful to some extent, but didn’t answer the questions.

@telkwa wrote:
 We appreciate the opportunity to address your inquiry. We apologize; the USB port for your 2010 Prius only recognizes USB flash drives formatted with file systems FAT 16 or FAT 32, and some iPod models.

FAT16/32 == MSC mode.

As Saratoga said, MSC is a USB drive formatted to FAT. Toyota obviously sent you a cut-and-paste and filled in the name Fuze–they probably don’t know what a Fuze is. It may be that the Prius can’t handle subfolders. Typically the Fuze stuffs all the mp3s into Music. Try taking a few albums out and putting them in the root directory (whatever the driveletter is). And if that doesn’t work, take some mp3s out of album folders and try that. It’s worth the experiment.

More results - Although the dealership’s Service Mgr. was skeptical about replacing the audio/USB port inside our center console, they went ahead and did it. Our Fuze now works on the 3.5 mm TRS jack. That’s really weird, because 3.5 mm TRS is a very generic port. Maybe a Toyota supplier delivered a few thousand flaky TRS jacks? When I plug the Fuze into the USB port, the Fuze goes into what I call its “data transfer” mode - the screen says “Writing”, then “Connected”. The Prius sees nothing. That doesn’t really surprise me - I can’t get to any Fuze screen when it’s in this mode and ask it to start playing. Long story short, I can’t figure out how to make the Fuze play across the USB connection, but it does work when plugged into the Prius AUX connection. Which is a standard 3.5 mm TRS port.

We just bought a 2011 Kia Sedona Ex and have not been able to use our our Sansa Fuze (2) in the USB port but have been able to make it work in the Aux port…but it is not the same.  Brought it back to the dealer who said “Sorry, we tested the USB and it is working and we can’t help you”!!  What is the point in having the USB if it really does not work with anything except the Apple iPod and only if you purchase the special $50.00 adapter with the USB and Aux. port plug?  Has anyone else figured out how to make the USB read the Sansa Fuze in these vehicles that have the Nav. system built into it???  I am not satisfied with the fact that it “can’t” work in this vehicle when it worked fine in my 2009 Kia Sedona and 2010 Kia Forte…Any ideas??

We rented a 2011 Kia Sorento for our vacation last year and had no problems with playing through the USB port connection. Is your Fuze in MSC mode?

Great vehicle, by the way. Am thinking about buying one this fall.

It was in Auto Detect" mode and I will try MSC and see if that makes a difference.  Thanks and will post after the test with results-Other then this, we really have had great experiences with Kia. 

No LUCK with changing the mode and only lost all my music doing so!!  I am not happy so any other ideas are welcome:wink:

Did you actually add any files in MSC mode?  Files copied in MTP mode are not accessible from MSC mode. 

Your computer, and probably the Prius, can only see one mode at a tiime. Changing the USB mode setting does not “lose” your music–when you disconnect your Fuze will see it, because the Fuze reads both modes at once.

Simply changing the USB mode will also not help the Prius find your music Your music has to be taken off the Fuze in MTP mode and added to it in MSC mode. (or you can just add it in MSC, but then the Fuze will show two copies of everything). 

“Simply changing the USB mode will also not help the Prius find your music” Hi, Black, the guy who’s confused about USB mode is trying to get his Fuze to work in a Kia. I’m the Prius guy, and I’m aware of what happens when you change modes. As you say, the data isn’t “lost”. BTW, for any Prius owners following this - I didn’t want to go into great detail because this is not a Fuze topic. If your Prius has the USB port, you’re probably better off to get a bog-standard USB drive (one that DOES NOT have any Windows-based software that will try to load up when it sees a connection) and load your tunes to the USB drive. Plug the USB drive in to the Prius USB port, open the radio, wait a second for the drive to show up on the “USB” tab. Also, shut down the audio system before pulling the thumb drive. The PNY I use blinks 4X when you “eject” it on a PC. It also blinked 4X when I turned off the audio in the Prius. So my advice - follow the same protocol you’d use when ejecting the thumb drive from a PC. While researching this Fuze problem I tried the above and the Prius played just fine from the USB drive. The “Random” function even worked! This is simpler than using the Fuze and is probably what we’ll do from now on. The Kia guy might want to try it too!

^  I bet the problem is that the Fuze exports two drives via MSC, one for microsd and one for the internal memory.  The car stereo may be too dumb to deal with mutliple volumes on one disk.  

@saratoga wrote:

^  I bet the problem is that the Fuze exports two drives via MSC, one for microsd and one for the internal memory.  The car stereo may be too dumb to deal with mutliple volumes on one disk.  

With my experience with the Kia Sorento I rented last year, the stereo unit would ‘see’ the internal memory (player in MSC mode), but it is not ‘smart enough’ to see an additional drive (like the memory card). Also it would not shuffle the songs on it; it would simply play them alphabetically by folder, then by file name. You could of course, navigate manually to different artists/folders.

Conclusion? It only sees the player as a memory storage device. I surmised there’s no benefit to using the player itself. It would be better to simply use a memory card in a reader to plug into the USB port in the car. It’s smaller and easier to hide when leaving the car and the player isn’t on, running down its battery. Memory cards are cheaper to replace than players if it suddenly craps out for whatever reason, or heaven-forbid someone breaks into it and steals your stuff.

You can also have multiple memory cards to swap out based on the size of the cards and your library or have different types of music loaded on different cards depending on your mood. :wink: