Sansa Express won't connect to computer.

So I was away from my primary computer for a long time, and I’ve come back to it now, and it won’t work with my 1GB Sansa Express. Here is the gist of my problem:

I plug it into the computer, it recognizes it, and then it asks to install the MTP drivers. I do it, and it says it is successful. However, nothing comes up on “My Computer” about a Sansa drive, and nothing comes up in the Device Manager to allow me access to it (with a ! or ? or not). I unplug it and try again, and it does the same thing… Install MTP drivers… Then the device doesn’t function in any practical way.

Any tips? I’ve tried some of the other things about starting it in other modes I found on Google, but nothing seemed to really work or at least I stalled at the Device Manager. The device *works*–it plays, it charges–it just won’t interact with my computer (XP, by the way) or light up when it is plugged in and charging and do all the things it used to do. I used Media Player 10; while I was away somebody installed Media Player 11, but I rolled it back since I consider 11 inferior. I don’t know if that would make a big difference since it worked fine with 10 in the past.

Any advice would be appreciated, and I’m sure I’m not the only one with these problems. This is a nice little device, just a troublesome one to actually make work sometimes.

Mudkip wrote:.

I used Media Player 10; while I was away somebody installed Media Player 11, but I rolled it back since I consider 11 inferior. I don’t know if that would make a big difference since it worked fine with 10 in the past.

The MTP drivers might not have been properly installed after you rolled back to WMP 10. Have you tried re-installing WMP?

So I plugged it into another computer today at school… Not sure about the whole specs of the machine, it’s XP professional though… And it plugged right in, worked just fine, went through the MTP mode, and I’m looking at my files on it right now and I could easily modify them with Windows Explorer.

I’ll try redoing Media Player 10 when I get home tonight and write again if that works. But, yeah, the device is fine and is acting like it used to, charging with the green screen and everything.

So this is getting weird.

I don’t have a Media Player or a Windows Media player on my add/remove programs listing.

I’ve got Windows Internet Explorer 8, Windows Live Essentials, Windows Media Player 9 Series Winter Fun Pack (not WMP10 or WMP11), and then Windows XP SP3–no Media player.

Up for M, I’ve Macromedia Flash Player, McAfee stuff, and then no Media Player anywhere in there.

I tried plugging the Sansa Express into the computer, same basic result. This time, however, it tried to install it as a USB flash device, but in the end I get the same problem of it doesn’t show on the My Computer or in the Device Manager.

I *have* Media Player 10, though–it works fine, it opens, it loads, it plays, it does everything you’d expect of it. It just doesn’t show up on the add/remove programs listing. Bigger problem involved here, or something I’m missing? It’s always been there before and it was there when I rolled back to 10 from 11 a few weeks ago.