Sansa e280 change in data capacity, please help

Hello! my name’s Neta, I’m new here, and I’ve got a serious problem with my Sansa.

I have an 8GB SanDisk Sansa E280, which to my understanding should be able to contain about 2000 songs.
When I first bought it, I loaded more then 1500 songs on to it and everything worked just fine.
Recently I’ve emptied out my Sansa completely, and now when I try to upload new songs into it, the maximum capacity is only about 400 songs.
When I try to add more I am told that there is no more disc space.

I searched the forum for a similar thread but couldn’t find one, so I’m sorry in advance if this is question was already answered. if there is an answer for it on this site, please give me the link.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Try formatting it. That will absolutely, positively, without-a-doubt clear out the entire memory leaving you a clean slate from which to start loading 'er up again.

Thanks, fixed it.

I actually tried formatting it before but it didn’t work, maybe I was formatting it in the wrong USB mode…

@neta wrote:

Thanks, fixed it.

I actually tried formatting it before but it didn’t work, maybe I was formatting it in the wrong USB mode…

That could be it . . . the e200 series needs to be in MSC mode to format or update firmware.