Sansa e260-How to Know when Battery FULLY Charged

I just bought a e260 Sansa MP3 Player. I connected to my PC around 4:00 pm, and it is now around 7:00 pm, and the device is still showing the little Battery indicator on lower right - the green color is flashing/moving left to right and to the right of the battery icon, there is a constant display of what appears to be a lightening icon in Yellow.

Can some one please tell me how one knows when the battery is fully charged up?

Thank you. 

The lightning bolt icon will disappear and the battery will stop cycling, steadily showing full instead.

Thank you so much. I read the Users Manual and it does not say that, so thanks for the info.

Now it is almost 9:30 pm, meaning the device has stayed connected for almost 5 1/2 hours and the lightening bolt icon is still there and the battery is still cycling! The screen shows: Connected and the two arrows going back and forth between the Sansa and the PC icons.The manual says it takes 3 1/2 hour for a full charge. Sure would appreciate your thought as to the duration for getting a FULL charge - is this still Ok, or could there be something wrong with the device? Thanks, again.

It should only be about 3 to 4 hours. Can you check if it is being recognized by the computer?

It shows up as a Drive with the name sansa e260 under Computer in my Windows Explorer, and it does show up as a DEVICE in Control Panel/ Devices & Printers, But I don’t find it in Device Manager, nor do I see it in the “Safely remove Hardware and Eject Media” green Arrow in the System Tray! I am running Windows 7. Thanks a lot for your help.

PS: I am adding this new information around 11:30 pm.

The lightening bolt icon disappeared and the battery icon became solid green around 10:00 pm - that is, it took almost 6 hours for the FULL charge!!! The Owner’s Manual online, like you said, should take about 3 1/2 hours! Is this OK, or is there a problem with this device? Appreciate your thoughts.

Your device is recognized as a media player, in MTP mode, judging from your description.  In this mode, Windows 7 has a “device stage” available via the taskbar.  Click on the e200 icon, and you’ll see the state of charge listed on your PC.

Win7 is a bit fickle with the newest device, the Clip+, regarding battery level, but as of late, my e280 displays correctly.  Go to cross my fingers on that one.

It isn’t unusual for the device to sometimes act “a little groggy” when charging, and take a little longer.  There are several factors at play, both the Sansa’s internal charge circuitry, and Windows’ control of that USB port.  Sometimes, it’s possible that the charge current may be limited on that port- full current (500mA) is available on a USB 2.0 port.

Have you experienced Windows’ trick of giving you a message, “this device may function better on a USB2.0 port”, or something simillar?  I get this message occasionally, despite happy joy joy status in the Device Manager, and all of my ports on this machine are supposed to be 2.0 capable.  Running on a 1.1 port, your current may be limited.

I don’t like USB hubs unless they’re powered, giving the Sansas plenty of current.  I always seem to have a few of them charging together.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob wrote:

Your device is recognized as a media player, in MTP mode, judging from your description.  In this mode, Windows 7 has a “device stage” available via the taskbar.  Click on the e200 icon, and you’ll see the state of charge listed on your PC.

Win7 is a bit fickle with the newest device, the Clip+, regarding battery level, but as of late, my e280 displays correctly.  Go to cross my fingers on that one.

It isn’t unusual for the device to sometimes act “a little groggy” when charging, and take a little longer.  There are several factors at play, both the Sansa’s internal charge circuitry, and Windows’ control of that USB port.  Sometimes, it’s possible that the charge current may be limited on that port- full current (500mA) is available on a USB 2.0 port.

Have you experienced Windows’ trick of giving you a message, “this device may function better on a USB2.0 port”, or something simillar?  I get this message occasionally, despite happy joy joy status in the Device Manager, and all of my ports on this machine are supposed to be 2.0 capable.  Running on a 1.1 port, your current may be limited.

I don’t like USB hubs unless they’re powered, giving the Sansas plenty of current.   I always seem to have a few of them charging together.

And like the PC ports, some hubs are 1.1-only. Even some hubs that were released well after USB 2.0 became the standard. I have a Homer Simpson hub (Homer sits in an office chair with a pencil balanced on his upper lip, and he spins and goes “Woohoo!” when a button on the base of the hub is pressed) that I only used until I discovered the hub only supports USB 1.1. Of course, neither the packaging nor the product web page mentioned this important detail. Money NOT well spent. :frowning:

Thank you everybody for your very thoughtful advice. I was not feeling OK with the device, so I returned it and got a  Sansa Fuze - 4 GB, and it works like a charm on the same port. I am very happy with it.

You’ll like the Fuze, it is a nice machine.  The e200 v2 device is a Fuze hidden in an e200 shell, nice of you can find one.  I like the interface on the Fuze, as it runs very well.

Usually the first few charges take  a little longer, and after a battery is well ‘conditioned’ it will charge quickly.