Sansa e250 Stuck on Refresh Database

I’ve had a sansa e250 for quite some time and it crapped out on me quite a while ago. I turned it on one day and it went through the occassional “refresh database” at startup. The problem is, it got stuck shortly after the refresh started. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, were you able to fix it? I’ve tried all sorts of things, such as holding down the power button for several seconds to reboot it, and even removing the battery and nothing happens. I have a Sansa Fuze which I bought shortly after the e250 crapped out on me, but I would like to give the e250 to a niece as a gift.

Anyone! Please Help Me!

I’ve seen Sansa players get stuck on Refresh Database when they come across a song file that they can’t interpret, either because the file is corrupt, or is in a format they don’t recognize.  If you’ve recently added new songs, try connecting your e250 to your PC and deleting them via Windows Explorer.  If you haven’t added new songs, or the last suggestion doesn’t work, try deleting them all.

Or checking the ID3 tags with a utility like MP3Tag. If the tag is unreadable, either because it’s the wrong format (should be ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1) or it has strange or foreign characters somewhere or the Comments field is cluttered up with garbage, it will freeze up during the database refresh cycle too.