Sansa Connect Video Conversion

There are two great programs for Connect video converstion.

For DVDs, I use HandBrake, and for everything else, Any-Video-Converter.

Both progs use MPEG-4 SP1 which is a better codec than SMC’s 3GP.

:smiley:

Trac wrote:

There are two great programs for Connect video converstion.

For DVDs, I use HandBrake, and for everything else, Any-Video-Converter.

Both progs use MPEG-4 SP1 which is a better codec than SMC’s 3GP.

:smiley:

Are you the same person as “Jethro” over at the anythingbutipod.com forum, who keeps posting messages about conversion software?  If so, what’s the deal?  How many times are you going to keep posting the same message over and over again?

Yes, I am Jethro over at abi.

I double posted HandBrake in the Connect and View forums, only because it was not mentioned in the View forum (or any other abi forum), and it is more useful for View owners.

What’s the deal?  These are good simple programs that have usually been unaddressed, so why not share them?  Additionally, most posts are answers to questions that are often asked more than once.  Similar to this forum where the difference between sleep mode and reset/reboot is explained over and over.

I hope you enjoy the software. :smiley:

I think your post is great.  I had never heard of this app, and thank you for the screenshots of the proper Sansa Connect specs (takes away the trial and error :smiley: )

How big was your final mp4 file for RED OCTOBER?

Jake

Thanks Jake,

I deleted Red October b/c I was only testing a segment of the movie.  I wanted to see how well a video with a lot of dark pixels would appear on the Connect.

I encoded “The Island” and it is 792MB in 6 segments (no credits).  The original video of the main movie without credits is 6551MB.

The quality on the Connect is awesome.

I did make one change in the settings; I changed the fps from 24 to 29.97.

Trac, again, thanks for keeping us abreast of the proper specs.  I’m actually a Zune user, but bought the Connect for my 12-year-old daughter.  For Zune videos, I’ve been using DVD Catalyst, which is commercial ware (but very reasonably-priced), and pretty much does what Handbrake but for an endless list of handhelds no matter what the codec.

I have a slightly older version of DC, so had to test-n-try with the developer to find the right mp4 output for the Connect.  But it’s available, so DC, coupled with Handbrake, will allow the jettisoning of the awful Media Connect, I think.

Jake

I’m glad you like it Jake.
Working with the video was fun, and I’m very impressed with the Connect’s video quality.  No PMP with a 2.4” or smaller screen even comes close to the Connect’s features or price.
Offtopic:
Sandisk, if you’re reading this, why did you make the View so big?
A flash PVP with a small form factor, H.264, and a decent sized widescreen ie. 3" would be awesome.

You could be the first. :wink:

The Archos 30GB hard drive 404 has a horrible screen, and their new flash player is only 2GB.

Message Edited by Trac on 01-12-2008 12:39 PM