Sansa Connect General Information

Ah well, at least we still have Flickr photo access.  :neutral_face:

I tried a 16 Gig micro SD card in my Sansa Connect and it worked but took so long to boot up that I went back to the 8 Gig card.

spinkk wrote:
I tried a 16 Gig micro SD card in my Sansa Connect and it worked but took so long to boot up that I went back to the 8 Gig card.

I have a 16GB microSDHC card in my Connect.  Actually, it’s a lot faster at reading the contents of the card from scratch than my Sansa Fuze.  AND the Connect doesn’t re-read the card whenever you add/modify/delete a song.

As a matter of fact, for that reason, I keep my Connect charged all the time.  That way, I don’t need to boot it up, and it never has to read the entire card.

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 04-05-2010 08:53 PM

Is there a way to modify the sansa connect to play other internet radio stations? Something along the lines of modifying a file on the connect’s OS??

papabluto wrote:
Is there a way to modify the sansa connect to play other internet radio stations? Something along the lines of modifying a file on the connect’s OS??

Sure, modify a device’s OS and you can get it to do practically anything.  A little easier said than done, though.  Especially when the firmware is encrypted.

I think it’ll take the efforts of a group like the Rockbox folks to do something on this scale, and really, their efforts to date haven’t included WiFi, not that they wouldn’t be capable.

Hello. I need some “Sansa Connect for Dummies” help. :slight_smile:     My Sansa is about 3 years old (maybe more, when the music app was Yahoo), and I just changed laptop.  My new laptop won’t recognize it (obviously a “new device was found but it’ts not working properly”) and  I don’t have any longer the old cd that may have come with my mp3 player. How can I make it recognizable in my computer again?

The Connect doesn’t require anything from the original CD, all that it requires is that you have Windows Media Player version 10 or later installed. 

If you have WMP version 10 or later installed, try all the USB ports on your computer.  It may not be working because you are plugging it into a low-power port.  Usually the USB ports on the back of your computer are the high-power ones.

If that doesn’t work, try reinstalling WMP.

I wrote to launchcastsupport@streamtheworld.com and submitted the following question: Although my Sansa Connect is connecting to my router and network properly, and is also connecting to the Zing servers on every attempt, when I try to play a Yahoo Music station I get an error message “Can’t Play Station - try again later”. This started on March 23rd. I verified that all Sansa Connect users are affected. Are the free stations no longer available to Sansa Connect users?

Their response received 4-15-2010: We’re sorry, LAUNCHcast is no longer available on the Sansa Connect. To listen to all your favorite radio stations, check out the new Yahoo! Radio powered by CBS RADIO here: http://new.music.yahoo.com/launchcast/ or visit CBS | All Access Support to find all of our available mobile apps
Thank you for contacting us
Yahoo!/CBS Support

So… Has anyone figured out if the days of sansa connect internet radio are finally, permanently, over??

landru wrote:
So… Has anyone figured out if the days of sansa connect internet radio are finally, permanently, over??

You don’t believe the post immediately above yours?

I like to get information from more than one source before I come to a conclusion.

Why are you always such a ■■■■■■■■■?

landru wrote:

I like to get information from more than one source before I come to a conclusion.

Femine hygiene implements aside, the post referred to in the response to your question is a direct quote from SanDisk. And they’re the only source that matters in this case.

But feel free to hope, look, and wait for the answer you want to hear. :smiley:

landru wrote:

No need to get angry.  I was just wondering if you didn’t believe SanDisk.

@tomwspoon wrote:

I wrote to launchcastsupport@streamtheworld.com and submitted the following question: Although my Sansa Connect is connecting to my router and network properly, and is also connecting to the Zing servers on every attempt, when I try to play a Yahoo Music station I get an error message “Can’t Play Station - try again later”. This started on March 23rd. I verified that all Sansa Connect users are affected. Are the free stations no longer available to Sansa Connect users?

Their response received 4-15-2010: We’re sorry, LAUNCHcast is no longer available on the Sansa Connect. To listen to all your favorite radio stations, check out the new Yahoo! Radio powered by CBS RADIO here: http://new.music.yahoo.com/launchcast/ or visit CBS | All Access Support to find all of our available mobile apps
Thank you for contacting us
Yahoo!/CBS Support

Thanks for doing the legwork for us.

If I had bought a Sansa Connect, I think that I would feel cheated.  What did SanDisk promise/represent to customers at the time of purchase?  Was there an implicit promise that the service would continue indefinitely?

Too often consumers are helpless.  I prefer Linux to MS Windows so that I retain ultimate control.  I like the idea of RockBox and that’s in fact why I’m on this forum.

The Sansa Connect’s firmware (Linux based) is intriguingly close to hackable but it turns out not to be.  As I understand it, new firmware can only be installed if it is cryptographically signed by a key controlled by SanDisk or Zing.

Of course most users don’t want to hack their MP3 players, but even a small number of hackers could make the devices much more useful to ordinary users.  An example is how OpenWRT/dd-wrt/Tomato have made a bunch of wireless routers much better.

The Connect’s raw hardware would support a lot of interesting features with hacked software.  For example, wirelessly playing music from your own computer.

The new Yahoo/CBS may not be as good as before.  They list a download app for i-phone and i-pad to receive the stations wirelessly, and one of the reviewers says it’s no good.  Six minutes of music, then six minutes of ads.  

bajaboy wrote:

The new Yahoo/CBS may not be as good as before.  They list a download app for i-phone and i-pad to receive the stations wirelessly, and one of the reviewers says it’s no good.  Six minutes of music, then six minutes of ads.  

That ain’t gonna work.  Not when you could use Slacker or Pandora instead.