sansa clip: MSC mode, volume, etc

so i just got a clip and i have to say it is awesome and costs so little! it will be a hit.  readable screen in sunlight is a major plus, and it is so tiny and the sound is notably better than competitors without an amp.

i love how it does not hiss with my shure e4c’s, i have to try them with my SE530’s when i get them back.  the only problem is on the lowest volume, they are kindof loud for when i’m alone with these sensitive IEMs.  Is there a way to lower the volume even more or add a firmware with lower volume?  I used custom eq and adjusted one bar which makes it all lower, and also have normalized my songs to 89db with mp3gain.  but it is still a little loud, and i am sure it will be worse with my shure SE530’s that have a sensitivity of 119db/mw

the othe rmore pertinant bug is that when entering the player in MSC mode with hold + center button, it doesn’t show the current music on the drive.  my music folder is empty, i can only see say recorded files, the drive says there is the correct amount used, but the files arn’t visible.  The main reason i want this is so i can run mp3gain so i can lower the volume more just on my player.  technically msc mode should show all files, it displays the disk as being used but the files are just hidden - why?  regardless of whether or not the directory structure is changed.  i don’t want to have to manually go into MSC mode every time, because in MTP mode i can’t run mp3gain on the files.

other wishes:
-better battery life(even with the lowest power/screen / volume settings, after a couple hours it says 60% on my computer)
-voice recording in mp3 to not take up so much space
-fast forwarding by %, like an ipod or meizu m6 where you get a dot in the bar and fast forward a % of the song, no matter if the song is an hour long or 5 mins.
-back button for the menus, say if i just want to change  the album for the artist i’m playing.
-parametric EQ.  ok might be asking too much… maybe 7 band?
-file browsing for those songs that arn’t tagged quite right yet
-cover for usb slot

Message Edited by johnnyz86 on 11-10-2007 09:34 AM

There is a way to stop your computer from using MTP mode.  It is the same as the Express’s regedit.  The steps are in my sig link.

If you mess with the registry you run the risk of messing something else up. I was talking with a friend that edited his registry to force msc and now he cannot use the player in MTP at all, and his computer will not allow him to update to Windows Media Player 11.

“-back button for the menus, say if i just want to change  the album for the artist i’m playing”

While your listening to a song press the down submenu button and then select Back to music list and then you can hit left to go back to select a different album.

I’ve got a clip and tested out the volume issue and it may just be that I’m hard of hearing but I could barely hear anything at the lowest volume setting with a set of in-ear headphones that have silence reduction on them.

@ Sansa_e280r

I’ve seen your post in another thread while sniffing around to fix my problem. Question is… what sig? I see nothing, nada, blank. You have no sig in your post.

@Noe_Boddi

I’ve edited the registry numerous times for many years in xp. Are you saying that as a precaution or is this edit known to cause problems?

AS it stands now I can not use MTP mode, AT ALL. I’m copying over right now via MSC and all is well and fast in wmp. When I had a iRiver many moons ago, there used to be certain limitations that detracted from using a USB firmware. I’m wondering what I will lose by running only MSC and what could be causing this problem on 2 different pcs.

Message Edited by hakujin on 11-23-2007 05:01 PM

i’m beginning to think mtp is a horrible sibling to another wasted idea: u3, and I would prefer just not use it even if it did work. as far as my research tells, it would allow me to download DRM music onto it and that’s about it… feature wise.

i would definitely be interested in any regedit someone may have to share that forces msc.

hakujin that is what is down there as a link.

I saw that but it’s simply a main forum link; not steps of any kind.

you need to search or look in the forums.

Heheh, o.k… what not just link to whatever thread adresses these steps? Just curious. I took the hunk of plastic paper weight that was my clip back to BB today. I would have liked to give another one a go, but they were sold out and I didn’t think it even worth it to drive to the next nearest BB. I hope that was just a defective unit because the larger and more serious issue of being unable to  finish refreshing database after large music transfer rendered it useless, nevermind the silly mtp –> msc workaround I had to endure.