Sansa Clip+ microSD & microSDHC Cards (Max Size)

How do I set the USB mode? When I connect my microSDHC card, the player freezes up and none of the controls work. But then fine when I remove the card.

@marcmauer wrote:

How do I set the USB mode?

Settings > System Settings > USB Mode

I suspect it also depends on the type of file as well…FLAC files can fill up both an 8GB player and 32 GB card quickly. (my player holds both FLAC and MP3 files and holds 4000+ files…my whole library is 6000+ files [according to Sony’s Media Go software])

For Clip+ should I buy the Ultra version, or just Class 4 is enough?

@minemax wrote:

For Clip+ should I buy the Ultra version, or just Class 4 is enough?

Class 4 is fine. The faster (higher class) cards are designed for HD and video (in cameras, etc.) which the Clip series doesn’t do anyway.

Hello,

It’s about 5 years since the question was first asked. There are now 64GB microSD cards, and even bigger ones.

Question 1: What is the biggest size that a Sansa Clip Plus can work with?

Question 2: And what’s the fastest speed that the Sansa Clip Plus can work with?

Question 3: What is the biggest size that a Sansa Clip Plus can work with, with Rockbox installed?

Question 4: And what’s the fastest speed that the Sansa Clip Plus can work with, with Rockbox installed?

Question 1-4: any card up to 2048GB. 

In the Sandisk firmware you’ll still be limited to whatever the maximum number of tracks is for each player (so large cards won’t be useful unless you do 1 track per album or FLAC).   People used to say that slower cards were more likely to work well, but I don’t know if thats still true for modern cards.  

Thanks. My niece is about to buy a new card next week. I guess I can test this myself and see how it goes.

Saratoga,

Thank you so much for your response. Your reply, however,  answered Q1 and Q3 only, not Q2 and Q4.:smiley_cat:

No, I answered those too.

Fastest speed with Rockbox, no issue.  Fastest speed with the OF, some people have found above Class 4 to be problematic, others not (more recent versions may have helped solved this).