SANSA CLIP JUST STOPPED WORKING

Giving it one more shot deleted database file, reinstalled FW rechecked ID tags, will see what happens next. After years of great use wit hmy ESeries & Fuze, and all the rave reviews on the Clip+, I  was expecting a bit more of a positive experience.

May the gremlins be with you!

lol…apparently they are. Player still stops & shuts itself off. Guess I will just toss this & go back to using the Fuze in the car.

@cbc wrote:

Giving it one more shot deleted database file, reinstalled FW rechecked ID tags, will see what happens next. After years of great use wit hmy ESeries & Fuze, and all the rave reviews on the Clip+, I  was expecting a bit more of a positive experience.

I have had identical experiences with all my e200 series, Fuzes, Clip+'s and Zips. They all just simply work. I doubt I’ve ever had to reset my Clip+ or Zip more than a couple times each in the years that I’ve had them, and then if I recall correctly they froze up due to me pressing buttons too rapidly. I’ve never had one just all-of-a-sudden stop and/or turn off out of the blue repeatedly as you describe.

I guess maybe I’m just lucky or maybe it’s because I’m obsessive and fanatical about maintaining the tags of the files I put on my players. Others have posted here describing what you do, but usually it’s a one time thing; reset it and that’s it. It doesn’t happen again, or if it does it’s so rare they don’t return and post back indicating that it’s an ongoing problem.

The fact that you claim 2 players are exhibiting the exact same behavior makes me wonder about your files/tags. I too, have a mix of mp3 & FLAC, but I have no OGG files. I seem to remember there have been discussions in the past concerning OGG files and/or their tags presenting some sort of problem. Having read literally thousands of posts on this forum over the years, I don’t recall exactly what it was, but it seems to me it may be been solved by using a different tagging program (Tag & Rename comes to mind as possibly being problematic) and/or removing embedded (especially over 500 x 500 pixel size) album art.

You might want to search around and see if you can find any of those old threads. :wink:

Even though you may think this forum is useless . . . :stuck_out_tongue:

Is there another tagging app besides T& RN (or dbpoweramp, which I use for CD ripping ) that can strip out & re-add tags in correct format. Still not sure why an ID tag should be so bothersome that a player can’t play the music, but again, I’ve never had any issues like that with any of the other music making devices I use in my world. Why would a bad tag turn off a player?

Per Sansa: It is compatible with a wide range of high-fidelity formats, including FLAC and Ogg Vorbis. >shrug<

@cbc wrote:

Just use Rockbox…

@cbc wrote:

Is there another tagging app besides T& RN (or dbpoweramp, which I use for CD ripping ) that can strip out & re-add tags in correct format.

MP3Tag is the overwhelmingly recommended tagging program, both here and elsewhere. :smiley:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@cbc wrote:

Just use Rockbox…

I was …same issue with it.

Just grabbed it earlier today & am going thru all my files on the micro SD. Removed all oggs & retagging everything else to see if this solves it

@cbc wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@cbc wrote:

Just use Rockbox…

I was …same issue with it.

I can set my Clip Zips w/Rockbox, just like I used to with my previous Clip+, to shuffle all and they’ll play for hours, at least until the battery runs down. If it was only happening in the OF I’d think it was the tags, but I always thought RB was more forgiving of tags. 

That said, I still, to this day, tag all my files to be compatible with Sansa OF, and they play on every player I have tried them on.

Well, I grabbed mp3Tag yesterday & went at it,  stripping out all the tags & redoing them as ID3V2.3 ISO8859-1.

Wasn’t sure what to do about all my oggs, is vorbis comment readable by Clip+?

Having always been a fan of Tag & Rename, I am really impressed by MP3Tag, pretty intuitive & does quite a lot more, faster.

I like how with the OF, you can be playing music, power it off with one button press, then power it back up & playing again with just one power button press. Do you know how to set RB to do the same?

@cbc wrote:

Well, I grabbed mp3Tag yesterday & went at it,  stripping out all the tags & redoing them as ID3V2.3 ISO8859-1.

Wasn’t sure what to do about all my oggs, is vorbis comment readable by Clip+?

Having always been a fan of Tag & Rename, I am really impressed by MP3Tag, pretty intuitive & does quite a lot more, faster.

I like how with the OF, you can be playing music, power it off with one button press, then power it back up & playing again with just one power button press. Do you know how to set RB to do the same?

Settings–> General Settings–> Startup/Shutdown–> Startup Screen–> Resume Playback.

@cbc wrote:

An easy way to do this is to simply open up the folder containing the files in MP3Tag, then just hit the SAVE button. Voila, as they say . . . Done. Lather, rinse and repeat with your other folders. There’s no need to manually re-type or otherwise manipulate the fields in the tags, unless you are deleting anything in the Comments field (as you should be doing) or editing strange or foreign characters.

@cbc wrote:

You can set Rockbox to start on the Now Playing/Resume Playback screen instead of the Main Menu. No button presses are then necessary. When Rockbox starts, your music starts playing instantly.

One thing that the OF does better at this though, is if you press the PAUSE button before shutting down, when it starts back up again, it will start on PAUSE too. In Rockbox, even if you PAUSE the playback before shutting down, it will not start up again paused. If you forgot to turn down the volume before shutting it off, this can be an unexpected and potentially damaging (to ears or earphones) blast of sound.

I’ve always found this extremely irritating and seemingly such an easy thing to add/fix in the Rockbox firmware. I suggested it years ago and was met with “meh” and “you know, all you have to do is set Rockbox to the Main menu, then hit ‘Resume Playback’ to avoid this.” In other words, no one saw this as important or an issue they wanted to change. Sometimes the arrogance of the RB developers is very frustrating. Their attitude seems to be if they didn’t think of it, it’s not worthy.

I still think this is a worthwhile option/feature to add, and given all the other options that maybe 10% of Rockbox users actually use or appreciate, don’t understand why they don’t just add this. In fact, it is one of the main drawbacks that prevents me from using Rockbox more often than I do. Sometimes I want to turn on the player when putting it in my pocket getting ready for a walk or whatever, and then hit the PLAY/PAUSE button when I finally walk out the door. I can’t comprehend the reluctance of the RB guys to not want this.

Yes, Rockbox is jamm-backed full of options and settings, but sometimes simplicity and intuitiveness is what people want and need. :wink:

@tapeworm wrote:

@cbc wrote:

An easy way to do this is to simply open up the folder containing the files in MP3Tag, then just hit the SAVE button. Voila, as they say . . . Done. Lather, rinse and repeat with your other folders. There’s no need to manually re-type or otherwise manipulate the fields in the tags, unless you are deleting anything in the Comments field (as you should be doing) or editing strange or foreign characters.

@cbc wrote:

You can set Rockbox to start on the Now Playing/Resume Playback screen instead of the Main Menu. No button presses are then necessary. When Rockbox starts, your music starts playing instantly.

One thing that the OF does better at this though, is if you press the PAUSE button before shutting down, when it starts back up again, it will start on PAUSE too. In Rockbox, even if you PAUSE the playback before shutting down, it will not start up again paused. If you forgot to turn down the volume before shutting it off, this can be an unexpected and potentially damaging (to ears or earphones) blast of sound.

I’ve always found this extremely irritating and seemingly such an easy thing to add/fix in the Rockbox firmware. I suggested it years ago and was met with “meh” and “you know, all you have to do is set Rockbox to the Main menu, then hit ‘Resume Playback’ to avoid this.” In other words, no one saw this as important or an issue they wanted to change. Sometimes the arrogance of the RB developers is very frustrating. Their attitude seems to be if they didn’t think of it, it’s not worthy.

I still think this is a worthwhile option/feature to add, and given all the other options that maybe 10% of Rockbox users actually use or appreciate, don’t understand why they don’t just add this. In fact, it is one of the main drawbacks that prevents me from using Rockbox more often than I do. Sometimes I want to turn on the player when putting it in my pocket getting ready for a walk or whatever, and then hit the PLAY/PAUSE button when I finally walk out the door. I can’t comprehend the reluctance of the RB guys to not want this.

Yes, Rockbox is jamm-backed full of options and settings, but sometimes simplicity and intuitiveness is what people want and need. :wink:

The Main Menu startup and then “resume playback” seems just right to me.  I personally don’t want it to start playing when it coms on, for the same reason you mentioned, the potential blast of loud music. Starting up on the main menu allows me to see the volume level on the screen before I resume play. You do have a fair point about many of the options never being used though…I’ve never played a game, or used coverflow, etc. 

tapeworm:

“An easy way to do this is to simply open up the folder containing the files in MP3Tag, then just hit the SAVE button”

So if I just open & save , Mp3tag rewrites over exisiting tags  &corrects them? well that IS sweet.

@marvin_martian wrote:

The Main Menu startup and then “resume playback” seems just right to me. I personally don’t want it to start playing when it coms on, for the same reason you mentioned, the potential blast of loud music. Starting up on the main menu allows me to see the volume level on the screen before I resume play. You do have a fair point about many of the options never being used though…I’ve never played a game, or used coverflow, etc.

I guess it might depend on the theme you use, but how do you see the volume until you first hit the Resume Playback/Now Playing option? The Main menu is just a listing of options:

Main Menu          Now Playing

Even this would be OK if they would simply institute the option on “if PAUSE is ON at shutdown, PAUSE is also ON at startup.” But as it is with this theme (pictured: Cliplined) and many others you cannot see the volume level without 3 button presses (2 scroll, 1 select) to select Now Playing. Then it’s going to start blaring as it starts with the Now Playing screen on PLAY. You then have to hit PAUSE as quickly as you can to save your hearing, and then adjust the volume. 4 button presses required where in the OF there is none! You start it up and it’s exactly the same as when you shut it down.

Shuts off paused.

Starts up paused.

Simple, logical, time-saving and intuitive. No “downsides” that I can see. So why don’t they (the Rockbox developers) add it? I know given all they’ve done it’s not a matter of “can’t”, but more a matter of “I don’t want to”. It’s like they want to make Rockbox more techy & complicated just because they can. :confounded:

So regarding ogg files/tags, what is the verdict on if they work w/ Clip+ or do they cause issues? I prefer ogg over mp3 for SQ versus filesize for stuff I don’t need pristine sound and when storage space is an issue.

Yes, they work. Some have issues, others don’t. If you browse through some of the discussions here

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?location=forum-board%3Aclipplusclip&q=OGG&filter=labels%2Clocation

as I suggested, you’ll find issues with different encoders, Vorbis Comments (tags) and increased battery usage in decoding/playing them.

Just wanted to post a followup to my dilemma - Ran all my tags thru mp3Tag, and also reinstalled RB. It has been 5 days of bliss for me as everything appears to be running as expected. Not sure what made more of a difference ( resetting tags or  RB)

but bottom line…it works.

I guess this forum is pretty helpful after all :stuck_out_tongue:

thanks to you!!

One more thing that I saw just come up in another thread on a different forum was, when using OGG files make sure you don’t have large album or cover art embedded. Apparently that affects playback (or lack of it) as well, particuarly in .ogg files

I don’t remember if you mentioned this or not, but it might be worth checking out. And since you have a Clip+ that doesn’t display album art anyway, I’d eliminate or at least reduce the size of any embedded image in case you want to trasnfer these files to a different player that can display it. Anything over 300 x 300 pixels is overkill on most any portable player in my opinion.