Sansa Clip+ Firmware Update 01.02.13

@timar wrote:
GREAT to see the gapless support! <snip>
Message Edited by Timar on 04-17-2010 11:42 AM

Hmmm…my Clip+ is already gapless, using FLAC (level 8) encoded by CDEx (1.70 Beta 2), and Clip+ FW 01.02.09. 

Evidently the gapless feature is dependent on codec and possibly also the coder itself.

Message Edited by Sandclip on 04-20-2010 04:17 AM

Sandclip wrote:

@timar wrote:
GREAT to see the gapless support! <snip>
Message Edited by Timar on 04-17-2010 11:42 AM

Hmmm…my Clip+ is already gapless, using FLAC (level 8) encoded by CDEx (1.70 Beta 2), and Clip+ FW 01.02.09. 

Evidently the gapless feature is dependent on codec and possibly also the coder itself.

Message Edited by Sandclip on 04-20-2010 04:17 AM

Mine was gapless with FLAC before too…I just won’t use it on the player because of the amount of space it takes up and the amount of battery power it uses. The release notes for this firmware update say “enhancement for gapless playback of LAME encoded MP3”…so yes, encodng and the encoder used are a factor.:wink:

Thanks, neutron_bob.  Was able to find and download using Sansa Updater today.  Also, I see that I did not follow the last instruction in the download/install instructions.  Another case of RTFM.  Shame on me.

Hi, just updated, and still no joy connecting with my Archos as host - still getting a constant reset loop on the Clip+.  I realise it wasn’t advertised as a fixed issue, but it seems interesting that a few people have had problems connecting either to particular flavours of Linux, or their car stereos as well my PMP.  Is this something Sansa are looing into?

I’m having trouble with this new update.  Minor issue - the amount of free memory on my microSD card is wrong.  More important - the order in which songs are played has changed.  I use the simpliest version of ID tags (ID3v1) and now some of my albums are playing in the wrong order.  If I copy the tags to V2, the order is proper.  I didn’t have this problem with my previous firmware.  Does someone know exactly how the Clip+ orders songs?  Thanx.

@marvin_martian wrote:

<snip>

Mine was gapless with FLAC before too…I just won’t use it on the player because of the amount of space it takes up and the amount of battery power it uses. The release notes for this firmware update say “enhancement for gapless playback of LAME encoded MP3”…so yes, encodng and the encoder used are a factor.:wink:

FLAC all the way, dude!

(I can hear the difference. Filespace/storage perspective:  In earlier times we had 33rpm LPs that would hold maybe an hour or so of music.  Ditto for the first portable cassette players like the original walkman, and then CDs.  My 24GB total Clip+ will hold around 50 hours of FLAC encoded music, so in perspective, I have no complaints about filespace with FLAC.  Whether low bitrate MP3 or FLAC or anything in-between, the 24GB Clip+ will hold nowhere near my entire digital audio collection, so in any case I must swap tunes on and off the Clip+ - so I opt for FLAC for highest quality.  :slight_smile: )

(Edit:  Corrected “uncompressed” errors. )

Message Edited by Sandclip on 04-21-2010 06:16 AM

About time Sandisk made a new update for our wonderful Clip+

and added the feature we’ve all been wanting: Gapless! While I agree, when playing FLAC, gapless is usually okay, it has not been with MP3’s…until now. They have really done well with this update and now gapless is in place with LAME encoded MP3’s. Thank you Sandisk! 

Sandclip wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

<snip>

FLAC all the way, dude!

(I can hear the difference. Filespace/storage perspective:  In earlier times we had 33rpm LPs that would hold maybe an hour or so of music.  Ditto for the first portable cassette players like the original walkman, and then CDs.  My 24GB total Clip+ will hold around 50 hours of uncompressed FLAC encoded music, so in perspective, I have no complaints about filespace with FLAC.  Whether low bitrate MP3 or FLAC or anything in-between, the 24GB Clip+ will hold nowhere near my entire digital audio collection, so in any case I must swap tune on and off the Clip+ - so I opt for uncompressed for highest quality.  :slight_smile: )

Message Edited by Sandclip on 04-20-2010 07:39 PM

Message Edited by Sandclip on 04-20-2010 07:41 PM

I can’t hear the difference, assuming a quality encoding of the mp3/wma. So for me,it makes more sense to carry around 3,700+ songs, and get better battery life. My 24GB Clip+ will hold just about anything I might want to listen to, on any given day…not my whole collection by any means, but at least the regular rotation.

And you do know that FLAC is compressed, right? :wink: Lossless, yes…but compressed. MP3/WMA, etc…are lossy (and much more compressed as a result). :smiley:

@spiritsfade wrote:

About time Sandisk made a new update for our wonderful Clip+

and added the feature we’ve all been wanting: Gapless! While I agree, when playing FLAC, gapless is usually okay, it has not been with MP3’s…until now. They have really done well with this update and now gapless is in place with LAME encoded MP3’s. Thank you Sandisk! 

I realize you’re new, but it’s only been about 3 months since the last update. That’s pretty much par for the course (for the players Sandisk still actively supports, at least).

I can’t hear the difference, assuming a quality encoding of the mp3/wma. So for me,it makes more sense to carry around 3,700+ songs, and get better battery life. My 24GB Clip+ will hold just about anything I might want to listen to, on any given day…not my whole collection by any means, but at least the regular rotation. 

And you do know that FLAC is compressed, right? :wink: Lossless, yes…but compressed. MP3/WMA, etc…are lossy (and much more compressed as a result). :smiley:

I received my Clip+ last tuesday. I immediately rockboxed it to achieve perfect gapless. Now I see that I get perfect gapless with LAME MP3, OGG and FLAC with the latest firmware, so maybe I don’t need that unstable Rockbox build anymore. Hurray for Sansa!  

Regarding choice of codec, I am not sure myself if I hear the difference between a MP3 V2 and a FLAC. I will probably use MP3s. But I have been experimenting a bit with lossywav. That could be an alternative for those with sensible ears. It is generally considered to be transparent (but some say that also LAME v2 or even v3 is transparent, so who knows?).

@marvin_martian wrote:

@sandclip wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

<snip>

FLAC all the way, dude!

(I can hear the difference. Filespace/storage perspective:  In earlier times we had 33rpm LPs that would hold maybe an hour or so of music.  Ditto for the first portable cassette players like the original walkman, and then CDs.  My 24GB total Clip+ will hold around 50 hours of uncompressed FLAC encoded music, so in perspective, I have no complaints about filespace with FLAC.  Whether low bitrate MP3 or FLAC or anything in-between, the 24GB Clip+ will hold nowhere near my entire digital audio collection, so in any case I must swap tune on and off the Clip+ - so I opt for uncompressed for highest quality.  :slight_smile: )

Message Edited by Sandclip on 04-20-2010 07:39 PM

Message Edited by Sandclip on 04-20-2010 07:41 PM

Isn’t FLAC much better for longer runtime?

That’s one reason I put my CDs as FLAC on it. And of course the perfect quality. I have put more music on it than I wanted and still have 200MB space free. 8GB is totally enough for me.

@marvin_martian wrote:

<snip> And you do know that FLAC is compressed, right? :wink: Lossless, yes…but compressed. MP3/WMA, etc…are lossy (and much more compressed as a result). :smiley:

By Jove, you’re right!  FLAC IS compressed.  Hope no one was confused (other than me).  :slight_smile:

Thanks for this information!

I also had 50% loss of volume on my clip.

Changed region to USA and whammy, the volume was back.

A friend of mine mentioned the new EU regulations about portable music players and a limit on the loudness, maybe that has something to do with it?

Glad I have my lovely clip back in action.

I had to do the same trick and it worked, now im rocking with my updated Clip+, Yeah!

I bought a Clip+ today, and am happy with it after a few hours of use. I upgraded to the latest version of the firmware, and duly set the region to ‘Rest of the world’ to get rid of the pesky EU maximum volume restriction. Thanks to those on this forum who explained how to do this.

A message to the Sandisk firmware team : I would like to be able to add podcasts to the GoList. When I go for long runs or rides, I’d like to be able to queue up a number of podcasts. I can’t do this if the podcasts are stored in separate directories, which means I either have to fiddle with the player as I’m running or rearrange the podcasts into directories when the unit is connected to the computer. I would prefer to be able to queue them up into the GoList as I’m heading out the door. Could you please consider this for the next firmware upgrade?

Cheers

-Wayne

wmaurer wrote:

A message to the Sandisk firmware team : I would like to be able to add podcasts to the GoList. When I go for long runs or rides, I’d like to be able to queue up a number of podcasts. I can’t do this if the podcasts are stored in separate directories, which means I either have to fiddle with the player as I’m running or rearrange the podcasts into directories when the unit is connected to the computer. I would prefer to be able to queue them up into the GoList as I’m heading out the door. Could you please consider this for the next firmware upgrade?

Until such time as this happens, you can edit the ID3 tags and change the Genre to something over than Podcasts. Place the files in the Music folder and you should be able to queue them up in the GoList.

No, it’s not necessarily a solution, but it is a workaround that could suffice. There are other threads/discussions that talk about this.

@tapeworm wrote:

Until such time as this happens, you can edit the ID3 tags and change the Genre to something over than Podcasts. Place the files in the Music folder and you should be able to queue them up in the GoList.

No, it’s not necessarily a solution, but it is a workaround that could suffice. There are other threads/discussions that talk about this.

Thanks Tapeworm, I’d already thought of that as a solution, and I’ll write a little perl script that does that automatically.

However I hope that the Sandisk team still puts the request on their TODO list.

-Wayne

I’ve been using a 2GB Clip+ for a few weeks now,  fantastic little things. Am using the latest firmware, the only gripe is the European setting for appallingly low volume, but the workaround has been well documented here and that’s not what i’ve joined up to post about. (Using American regional setting to fix the rubbish low volume level I can’t get the radio to tune in to my preferred local radio station but i don’t actually listen to radio much anymore so can put up with that for now).

Podcasts. Now i can’t remember the exact details of why i couldn’t get podcasts to work properly when used in the Podcast folder, but i can share the tiny linux shell script i use (i found the bulk of this script on the internet, it’s really simple to understand, I was just being lazy so googled for a script. I use Puppy linux and the Sansa is only used in MSC mode) for tagging music ie non-podcast files ~

#!/bin/bash
#
# tag-mp3-id3v2.sh
#
# Tags every .mp3 in the current directory with the band and
# album names, and creates a song title by stripping
# the .mp3 extension from the file name.
#
# Use as follows: tag-mp3-id3v2.sh Artist Album
# (Make sure relevant Artist & Album are input to the script).
#
# Am using id3v2 Type 2 tags for everything EXCEPT Podcasts
# as my 1GB Sony NWD-B103 player can ONLY use id3v2 Type 1 tags.
#
# My 30GB Creative Zen Vision M, and 4GB Philips GoGear are perfectly
# fine with Type 2 tags.
# XBMC is also perfectly fine with Type 2 tags (both on xbox XBMC and PC XBMC).
#
#

pdir=pwd
echo
echo “Current directory is ‘$pdir’”
echo

if [$# -ne 2]            
then                    
     echo “Usage: $0 <input1> <input2>” >&2
     echo “Make sure <input1> equates to ‘Artist’”
     echo “Make sure <input2> equates to ‘Album’”
     exit 1               
   fi

echo $1
   echo $2
   echo

fcount=0
for i in *.mp3; do
let fcount=fcount+1

SONG=basename "$i" .mp3
    id3v2 -2 -T $fcount --album “$2” --artist “$1” --song “$SONG” “$i”
done

For podcasts, the best solution i’ve come up with is to not use the Sansa PODCAST folder, files go into folders in the MUSIC folder. As i said above, no manner of combinations of filenames or tagging would make podcasts work correctly when placed in the PODCAST folder.

So, i have stuck to the method i was using on other MP3 players used for podcasts prior to buying the Sansa (i don’t bother with Genre tagging personally, i have too much music and too many genres!, though i did experiment with genre tagging when trying to get podcasts working ‘the Sansa way’). See post #2 here for my podcast split/tag script. This is a more indepth shell script i wrote myself for tagging podcasts . (p.s. one of my other MP3 players can only use ID3v1 tags so that’s what my podcast script sticks to, and the script might look intimidating to non-scripters but that’s only because the bulk of the script was written for splitting podcast files into manageable chunks - i.e. some players are ■■■■ for seeking thru files, some players don’t resume at the same place after poweroff or standby, for example). Obviously the Sansa is pretty good at seeking thru songs/podcast files and is also fine with resuming from where last played. (My Creative Zen Vision M only resumes if in standby mode so i always use standby mode and my Sony NWD-B103 is unable to resume full stop).

Basically my podcasts are split and renamed in a specific way, they play in the correct order on the Sansa and various other players, (plus xboxes and various software media players in linux and Windows). And the way i’ve written the script allows podcast shows to either live in the same folder or have their own folders and the naming/tagging convention keeps the play ordering happy and coherent.

While it’s on my mind, and after a lot of (frustrated) experimenting, the best solution i could come up with for track ordering of music albums that span more than one ‘CD’ is to rename all the filenames for CD1 to have a prefix of 101, 102 etc, and CD2 to 201, 202 etc. No amount of experimenting with tags worked properly, even track tagging doesn’t seem to work properly if the songs are split across folders.

So i rename all the files as described, then dump them in the same folder (very important as it means the files get the track numbers tagged properly), and then just run the little tag script. Works perfectly this way for me. 

I’ve been following a few threads on the forums for a few weeks but podcasts and general MP3 tagging was all i could really think of that needed work on these amazing little players. If i can think of anything else i’ll post it though.

_ edit _- Something i forgot to add previously. Pre-existing tags don’t get removed unless they’re tags that you’re actually changing, so i always remove all tags before running the above script. I use id3v2 so the syntax is ‘id3v2 -D *.mp3’.

Message Edited by creaky on 06-27-2010 01:21 PM