Sansa Clip Firmware For Hardware Revision 1.0

Okay, I’m a little concerned now. I have the same problem redcow was having. I have changed the USB settings to MTP, connected, disconnected, reset to AutoDetect, and reconnected and disconnected again. Still no change; in Windows I show everything there, but the Sansa does not recognize anything. What am I doing wrong?

Whoops, seems to be okay now. I’m not sure what stars aligned, but my tunes and book are back, and that’s what’s important. Yes, it does seem to start much more quickly than before.

@rdow wrote:
What is that shape/logo that comes on at the start after the word “sansa” is displayed?  Also shows up briefly before the “goodbye”.

I just figured this out.  It’s supposed to be the (new?) Sansa logo, which is four fat "S"s in a circle.

I think they could remove a few pixels, there.  :wink:

 Tapeworm’s post:

'‘uri wrote: What about the folder support. I hoped it will come in this version. This is the way it is done in the cheapest players around and something I am used to from previous players.’

‘‘Uri Note that I am not endorsing nor condemning this function. I am perfectly happy & comfortable with the tag-reading that the Sansas do, but I understand that there are a lot of people that want this option. Maybe SanDisk wants to distance themselves from the players that you describe for the very reason that you state. Just a thought.’’

I must to disagree on that. Folder browsing is more basic function than cheap players privilege. All my previus players had this function and also had tag-reading. My girlfrends Philips has folder browsing and I wouldn’t call it cheap mp3 at all.

I am very satisfied with my Clip (2G) in almost all aspects (great sound, cute look, custom EQ,…). Still, I would add folder support and made some changes to EQ preset settings - I would remove classic and pop EQ (I hope no one is really listening music with those settings) and add function to save one or two custom EQ settings.

I hope I won’t be treated as hostile Sansa forum member.

My guess is that folder support is not something desired by the majority of the target Sansa market.  People want to hear a song by a particular artist, or a particular album.  A lot of people using MP3 players may not even know what a folder *is*, let alone organize their music into folders.

I’m not saying it’s not a nice thing to have, just that it may not be worth Sandisk’s time and money to put it into the firmware.

@promisedplanet wrote:

A lot of people using MP3 players may not even know what a folder *is*, let alone organize their music into folders.

 

I was precisely thinking that a lot of people using MP3 players may not even know what a ID3 tag *is*, let alone have their music files properly tagged.

I’m a strong supporter of the tag-based browsing, by the way. My only problem with tag browsing is the poor handling of compilation albums. For me, this would be completely ‘fixed’ (so to speak) with the addition of ‘Album Artist’ tag support (hear me! hear me!!..) and then I’d be 100% happy with my clip (currently I’m 99.5% happy).

Regards

@porio wrote:


@promisedplanet wrote:

A lot of people using MP3 players may not even know what a folder *is*, let alone organize their music into folders.

 


I was precisely thinking that a lot of people using MP3 players may not even know what a ID3 tag *is*, let alone have their music files properly tagged.

Sure, but you don’t have to know what an “ID3 tag” is to browse by an “Artist”, or an “Album”, or a “Song”, or a “Genre”.  And the average user is going to have their music files properly tagged when they rip their CDs with WMP, or when they buy a song from Amazon.com or Rhapsody.

@promisedplanet wrote:


@porio wrote:


@promisedplanet wrote:

A lot of people using MP3 players may not even know what a folder *is*, let alone organize their music into folders.

 


I was precisely thinking that a lot of people using MP3 players may not even know what a ID3 tag *is*, let alone have their music files properly tagged.


Sure, but you don’t have to know what an “ID3 tag” is to browse by an “Artist”, or an “Album”, or a “Song”, or a “Genre”.  And the average user is going to have their music files properly tagged when they rip their CDs with WMP, or when they buy a song from Amazon.com or Rhapsody.

There’s a person on the Amazon Community for audiobooks who listens to a lot of podcasts, and has tried all sorts of players, including the Zen and Fuze, and likes the Rockbox 3.0 e280 v1 the best, because he can navigate by filename.  Here’s a quote about the Fuze: “I wish the player would display the file name and provide a file structure that can be navigated.”  Just one person, but experienced, and shows the use is for podcasts, which are notorious for being inconsistently tagged.

I think adding folder browsing to firmware is a piece of cake and costs nothing - all cheap players has it. No need to remove ID3 tags option, just add one more browsing option. So, if all the other MP3 players (or most of them) have this option I would like to ask if there is a particular reason not to put it in Clip firmware. If someone is smart enough to turn on the Clip and play the song, to connect it to the computer and load the music, to browse by artist, album or title or whatewer, or smart enough to upgrade firmware by Sandisk instructions there is no reason not to add the folder option. If someone does not know what a folder is… I guess this is not the right reason not to have folders on Clip.

@giltic wrote:
I think adding folder browsing to firmware is a piece of cake and costs nothing - all cheap players has it.

Obviously it isn’t, or SanDisk would have done it already. Or are you trying to agree with my previous thought, that ALL ‘cheap’ players have it, therefore they don’t want their players to be perceived as cheap, so they elected to copy the infamous I-pod and go with tag-based browsing? Do ALL high-end and/or better quality players have folder browsing? No. Why? It’s up to the manufacturer which way they want to go, along with thousands of other decisons they must make during the design and planning stages of a new product. And unfortunately, they didn’t ask for your opinion when they made this decision.

All of SanDisk’s players are tag-based; none have folder browsing. There has to be a reason for that. SanDisk might feel that the ‘future’ is in tag-based browsing; that folder-browsing is 'old-‘school’. It may be a RAM limitation in the firmware. Maybe they’ve done thiier market-research and have it on good authority that the majority of potential users and/or owners actually prefer sorting by Artists, Albums, Genres, etc.?

Whatever the reason; that’s just the way it is. You buy a product and you enjoy it, or you learn to enjoy it, or you learn to live with it, or you get another one that makes you happier. No one is forcing you to own a Sansa. If you want folder-browsing, you yourself have said that plenty of players have it. Why don’t you just get one of those? Because for all it’s faults (and there are **bleep** few of them) it’s still the best sounding, best-built, and best value for the money! Right? If it’s not (in your opinion), then good luck on your next one. I hope you’ll be happy!

Tapeworm; there is no reason to be upset or angry.

Buyers opinion is important. Market is war - good products are sold and the bad are not. If someone is satisfied with one of the Sandisk players there is no reason to go for other brand. He will stay with Sandisk in the future. It’s in Sandisk interest to please the buyer, that’s why they want the feedback on their products (I hope so). If they sell, they make money. No need to thank Sandisk for such a great product - they sell and you buy -as simple as that. If they don’t sell, they’re gone. This is cruel fact.

It’s also in Sandisk interest to expand the market - to get as many buyers they can. If one pearson decide not to buy Clip because of the lack of folder browsing - who cares. But if 1/3 of the buyers decide to go for Philips GoGear SA2820 (similar price) which has tags and folders? This could be the problem. That’s why buyers opinion counts.

You wrote:

‘‘If you want folder-browsing, you yourself have said that plenty of players have it. Why don’t you just get one of those?’’

I hope Sandisk woud disagree on that statement.

I am just trying to say that it would be nice to have folder browsing. It’s just my humble opinion. I won’t bother this forum on that matter in the future.

Oh my God Thank You sansateam for making this the best MP3 player on the market! Flac finally! no more transcoding into lossy formats! My in ear monitors can finally shine! Thank youu, as promised I am going to buy a couple of these as gifts for xmas!

Ok, I have updated all three of my Sansa clips to the new firmware, and promptly hosed them all.  NO songs will show on the players at all.  The files are in there; I can access them from Windows, and play them in Windows, through the player, but NO file shows up in the Sansa display window.  This has happened on all three players.  I have formatted and started over, to no avail.  Help!!!  I now have three completely useless Sansa Clip 2 gb players.

Sincerely,

Gary

How many times someone have made this question? I think is time for a fixed post, titled “No, your files are not gone, just switch USB mode, please” or “Please, make a search before you post a question” or “If you too important to read instructions, at least browse your menus to see what are for, pleeeeease”. Or open a “Too FAQ”…

@gboisseau wrote:

Ok, I have updated all three of my Sansa clips to the new firmware, and promptly hosed them all.  NO songs will show on the players at all.  The files are in there; I can access them from Windows, and play them in Windows, through the player, but NO file shows up in the Sansa display window.  This has happened on all three players.  I have formatted and started over, to no avail.  Help!!!  I now have three completely useless Sansa Clip 2 gb players.

 

Sincerely,

 

Gary

 

What is the format of the songs?  And do you have their ID3 tags filled in?

I use Sansa Clip 2GB EU four months, and found this bugs:

  1. No support fo russian letters in M3U playlists. Playlist with russian song names shows as <Empty>.

  2. Some playlists sometimes shows as <Empty>, after format this playlists shows normally.

  3. Sometimes playlist stops at any song, and “<<” & “>>” buttons don’t work.

  4. Plastic clip cracks on 2 month of using my Sansa.:cry:

Message Edited by De_Cadanz on 10-23-2008 03:20 PM

When I attempt update using the sansa updater, it downloads the update just fine and begins

the firmware update, then stalls at 10%.  Any help is appreciated. 
I have tried the manual download and update

but the clip will not accept any drops to it other than non root folders.

Thanks

@tweb wrote:

When I attempt update using the sansa updater, it downloads the update just fine and begins

the firmware update, then stalls at 10%.  Any help is appreciated. 
I have tried the manual download and update

but the clip will not accept any drops to it other than non root folders.

 

The problem you described with the Sansa Updater sounds familiar.  Try it again after a reboot.

 

Regarding not being able to load the firmware directly onto the Clip, you must have an old version of the firmware that didn’t enable UMS mode?  Otherwise the Clip would show up under “My Computer” as a “removable disk”.

@promisedplanet wrote:


@tweb wrote:

When I attempt update using the sansa updater, it downloads the update just fine and begins

the firmware update, then stalls at 10%.  Any help is appreciated. 
I have tried the manual download and update

but the clip will not accept any drops to it other than non root folders.


 

The problem you described with the Sansa Updater sounds familiar.  Try it again after a reboot.

 

Regarding not being able to load the firmware directly onto the Clip, you must have an old version of the firmware that didn’t enable UMS mode?  Otherwise the Clip would show up under “My Computer” as a “removable disk”.

 

Right, is does not show up as a removal disk, but just as the player itself. 
This was a warranty device I just received a few weeks ago.

When you say reboot, meaning PC or clip?

Thanks

@tweb wrote:

When you say reboot, meaning PC or clip?

PC.  I think.  It’s been a while since I had the same problem, but basically I repeated the process, and it worked.

 

If you haven’t tried forcing the Clip into MSC (UMS) mode, though, this might be easier … then you can copy the firmware file into the root folder manually.  To force the Clip into MSC mode, move its power/hold switch to the hold position, then hold down the center button while plugging the Clip into your USB port.