Sansa Clip Firmware 01.01.35 & 02.01.35 Release

This oddity is probably only in my head, but did anyone find that at least audiobooks are now a bit unbalanced in right vs left volume? It seemed quite pronounced at first, but now my brain may have adjusted to it and I hardly notice. This was with a continuation of a track I was listening to before the upgrade, and most of it was a single voice that shouldn’t have any stereo difference. I don’t think there is a setting for balance anywhere.

Upgrade was a nice gesture, but I guess a funeral for our hopes of the really important issue of folder browsing. 

daft wrote:

This oddity is probably only in my head, but did anyone find that at least audiobooks are now a bit unbalanced in right vs left volume? It seemed quite pronounced at first, but now my brain may have adjusted to it and I hardly notice. This was with a continuation of a track I was listening to before the upgrade, and most of it was a single voice that shouldn’t have any stereo difference. I don’t think there is a setting for balance anywhere.

 

Upgrade was a nice gesture, but I guess a funeral for our hopes of the really important issue of folder browsing. 

Every player I own has it, yet I very rarely need to use it. To each his own though.:smiley:

@daft wrote:

This oddity is probably only in my head, but did anyone find that at least audiobooks are now a bit unbalanced in right vs left volume? It seemed quite pronounced at first, but now my brain may have adjusted to it and I hardly notice. This was with a continuation of a track I was listening to before the upgrade, and most of it was a single voice that shouldn’t have any stereo difference. I don’t think there is a setting for balance anywhere.

 

Upgrade was a nice gesture, but I guess a funeral for our hopes of the really important issue of folder browsing. 

I don’t use audio books so I can’t comment on your observation, but to make sure it’s not an analog issue (internal amplifier or headphone/connector), did you try playing an audio file that is mono or switching your FM radio to “Mono” mode and listening for proper channel balance?  If it’s unbalanced, then likely it’s a headphone issue (connector or your headphones), an amp output inside your Clip or the headphone connector in your Clip is problematic.  A dirty headphone jack/connector can also cause problems.

In my case, all of my music sounds balanced between channels.  I’m listening right now to mono encoded mp3s of the recent Beatles Mono box set and there’s no channel imbalance.

Does anyone else think that the music sounds more alive, like they removed digital dust if that makes any sense.

@wolf_6 wrote:
Does anyone else think that the music sounds more alive, like they removed digital dust if that makes any sense.

Okay, I wasn’t going to mention this but when the equalizer was set to “flat” it did sound better with my old headphones.  I thought it was just my giddiness of having the pitch close to perfect.  :smiley:  I wouldn’t claim the sound was better but just having the pitch improved will make the music sound nicer as it’s closer to what you heard on a system were it had correct pitch.  Maybe that’s what we’re hearing?

My 8g v2 players have been on the :16 firmware since i purchased them.[have 2x v2 and 1x +]

I installed the latest :35 on one and compared them.

I use the V2 models solely with my amp ETY ER4 combo.

I was surprised that i could hear a difference, was not really expecting too.

The :35 firmware player seemed to be slightly cleaner and more punchy less bloom or shade in the lower registers,

closer to the clip+.

The :16 player appeared to sound slightly more subtle in tonal shading.[related to LF handling]

Whether this is related to any pitch correction or the affects of how it was corrected , no idea.

The pitch issue was never a conscious issue with me. [though technically it bothered me a little]

Not sure which i prefer, but as i cannot tell by looking which player has which firmware it will be interesting to see

whether i find myself gravitating to one or the other. [both players have much the same music on them at the mo]

setmenu wrote:

My 8g v2 players have been on the :16 firmware since i purchased them.[have 2x v2 and 1x +]

I installed the latest :35 on one and compared them.

I use the V2 models solely with my amp ETY ER4 combo.

I was surprised that i could hear a difference, was not really expecting too.

The :35 firmware player seemed to be slightly cleaner and more punchy less bloom or shade in the lower registers,

closer to the clip+.

The :16 player appeared to sound slightly more subtle in tonal shading.[related to LF handling]

Whether this is related to any pitch correction or the affects of how it was corrected , no idea.

The pitch issue was never a conscious issue with me. [though technically it bothered me a little]

Not sure which i prefer, but as i cannot tell by looking which player has which firmware it will be interesting to see

whether i find myself gravitating to one or the other. [both players have much the same music on them at the mo]

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ReplayGain on the V2 makes the .35 on V2 Clips a no-brainer, IMO.

Something that has really decreased the value of my Sansa clip with this update is the decrease in sound, this became very apparently right from the beginning after I’ve updated it. So the question, really, is, what can I do about it?

Is there any setting I can go on and mixture with (I have it as high as it goes right now) or do I need to remove the latest update and try the previous? If so - where do I do that and how do I do that? Sound is the most important to me. 

@kevlarsoul wrote:

Something that has really decreased the value of my Sansa clip with this update is the decrease in sound, this became very apparently right from the beginning after I’ve updated it. So the question, really, is, what can I do about it?

 

Is there any setting I can go on and mixture with (I have it as high as it goes right now) or do I need to remove the latest update and try the previous? If so - where do I do that and how do I do that? Sound is the most important to me. 

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&thread.id=23384

Check your setting, updates have a tendency to reset things. Certainly USB mode amongst other things.

Wow this is great the Clip is back in action!  I thought they were not going to do it.

After I installed the firmware update my Clip shut down and will not turn back on.  My computer does not recognize it now obviously because it can’t turn on.  Did anyone else have this problem.  Anyone have any ideas?

Not sure if I can’t find it after an upgrade or if it has been removed altogether. There was a very nice feature in a previous firmware I had (02.01.32) which allowed to boost the playback volume. After upgrading to .35 it looks this feature is gone but there is something called Replay Gain. I tried changing several settings around Replay Gain but it looks like MP3 playback is not affected. I am not even sure what Replay Gain is but I assume that it is suposed to adjust playback volume.

Any ideas how to make it work or shall just downgrade to a lower version. Without this feature it makes my Clip unusable anywhere outside my room :frowning:

Thanks a lot!

Message Edited by czajunia on 03-24-2010 06:35 AM

@czajunia wrote:

Not sure if I can’t find it after an upgrade or if it has been removed altogether. There was a very nice feature in a previous firmware I had (02.01.32) which allowed to boost the playback volume. After upgrading to .35 it looks this feature is gone but there is something called Replay Gain. I tried changing several settings around Replay Gain but it looks like MP3 playback is not affected. I am not even sure what Replay Gain is but I assume that it is suposed to adjust playback volume.

 

Any ideas how to make it work or shall just downgrade to a lower version. Without this feature it makes my Clip unusable anywhere outside my room :frowning:

 

Thanks a lot!

Message Edited by czajunia on 03-24-2010 06:35 AM

The MP3 files have to have Replay Gain data encoded in them for it to work.

Foobar 2000 can encode the files and is freeware.  You can find all kinds of information about Replay Gain on the web and how to use it.  And also make sure your location when the firmware update was done is set to the US settings.  If you chose Europe the volume will be lower, a LOT lower.  If you set it for Europe, reset your Clip and when you power up again be sure to pick “US”.  FM radio settings (luckily) are independent of the volume setting.

Mediamonkey also will write the ReplayGain tags…in fact, it’s what the Sansa developers used in adding the feature to their players. It is freeware, as well.

@ukvert66 wrote:

After I installed the firmware update my Clip shut down and will not turn back on.  My computer does not recognize it now obviously because it can’t turn on.  Did anyone else have this problem.  Anyone have any ideas?

A hard reset of your Clip didn’t work?  I upgraded my 8GB Clip and the update worked flawlessly.  Did you by chance install the wrong firmware update?  Perhaps this is best handled by Sandisk customer support.

Thanks tnmats! It did the trick. I changed to North America and the Volume setting is there and it’s possible to choose between ‘Normal’ and ‘High’. That’s exactly what I was looking for. When you select Europe this setting is unavailable for some reason. It must be a bug because I am sure it was there in the previous version even when selecting Europe - I am based in UK and have never selscted North America before.

As for Replay Gain I don’t feel like I am gonna use if it requires any extra work. I just though it was a slightly more sophisticated setting to boost the volume that replaced a previous Volume setting I couldn’t find.

Anyway, thanks again for your help guys! Much appreciated!

@czajunia wrote:

Thanks tnmats! It did the trick. I changed to North America and the Volume setting is there and it’s possible to choose between ‘Normal’ and ‘High’. That’s exactly what I was looking for. When you select Europe this setting is unavailable for some reason. It must be a bug because I am sure it was there in the previous version even when selecting Europe - I am based in UK and have never selscted North America before.

 

As for Replay Gain I don’t feel like I am gonna use if it requires any extra work. I just though it was a slightly more sophisticated setting to boost the volume that replaced a previous Volume setting I couldn’t find.

 

Anyway, thanks again for your help guys! Much appreciated!

It’s not a bug, it’s due to EU regs that Sandisk followed.  I think it’s a bit silly to have that reg but they did follow the law.  Sandisk left an easy workaround though.  The previous rev didn’t have this setting at all (i.e. turn off the “high” mode for Europe).

Just make sure your FM tuner settings are for European useage.  In the US we have FM freqs. on the odd decimal place (i.e. 0.1/0.3 etc.) instead of the even decimal (0.2/0.4 etc.).  Glad they didn’t couple the volume and freq. settings together. You’ll like the fact that now your MP3s converted at the 44.1kHz setting will be close to correct pitch too (main reason I upgraded).

@tnmats wrote:

it’s not a bug, it’s due to EU regs that Sandisk followed.  I think it’s a bit silly to have that reg but they did follow the law.  Sandisk left an easy workaround though. The previous rev didn’t have this setting at all (i.e. turn off the “high” mode for Europe).

 

Just make sure your FM tuner settings are for European useage.  In the US we have FM freqs. on the odd decimal place (i.e. 0.1/0.3 etc.) instead of the even decimal (0.2/0.4 etc.).  Glad they didn’t couple the volume and freq. settings together. You’ll like the fact that now your MP3s converted at the 44.1kHz setting will be close to correct pitch too (main reason I upgraded).

Gotcha. It makes sense now even though it’s silly.

I didn’t install .33 and .34 firmware but I am fairly sure that my .32 and the one I had before had a “high” mode under Volume settings in the European version. Unless I was using North American one without even knowing about that.

Message Edited by czajunia on 03-24-2010 03:30 PM

czajunia wrote:

 

I didn’t install .33 and .34 firmware but I am fairly sure that my .32 and the one I had before had a “high” mode under Volume settings in the European version. Unless I was using North American one without even knowing about that.

 

That’s good, since there weren’t any firmware releases with these numbers. :stuck_out_tongue:

The EU volume compliance was only added with this latest (.35) version.