Sansa Clip 8GB frozen up

Last night I was listening to the radio, heard something I wanted to record so hit record, then fell asleep. Woke up this morning and it had recorded till it was dead, so plugged it in to recharge. Took it to work and a little while ago found out that it is frozen on the screen with the recording, it says “FMRCOO1”, and it looks like it’s 05:30 long. None of the buttons work. The screen does not time out, stays on all the time. I could not turn it off till I read on here to hold the button up for 15 seconds, I can shut it off that way. Then I can turn it back on again. The Sandisk icon appears and stays on an unusually long time, then it goes to the same “FMRCOO1” screen, where it is still locked up with the same symptoms. The only thing that is changing is the battery level indicator, which is of course going down. This unit is less than one month old.

Try a soft reset - hold the on switch in the far up position till it turns off (about 15 seconds)  then release the switch,   and turn it on like normal.

Hope this helps,  Cheers

Thankyou for your suggestion. I tried that already, as I mentioned in my post.

clayman43 wrote:

Thankyou for your suggestion. I tried that already, as I mentioned in my post.

oops sorry >

Two other things that you might try, if you haven’t already…

first: erase the database file (search the forum for details.) or do a check disk on the Clip’s memory.

Contributor: c1u31355

Getting weird or blank file names you can’t delete? Songs stop working in certain albums? Running check disk may help.

Here’s the workaround:

Connect in MSC / Rhapsody Mode.
Open My Computer and take note of the drive letter; example; e:/ or f:/
Left click Start then Run: and type in chkdsk x:/f (x being the drive letter that was previously noted).

*/f : Fixes errors on the disk.

Microsoft check disk instructions for XP
Check Disk on Wikipedia

You could also try a manual update of the Firmware. you may need to delete the recording you did. you could do a format from windows - by open up the clip in windows explorer and right click on internal memory > format . If you format you will need to copy back all your music.

Good luck, hope something helps, Cheers

Mr. niko_sama, thankyou very much once again for attempting to help me.

I don’t understand your suggestions. I have no idea how to erase a database, do a check disk on the Clip’s memory, connect in MSC / Rhapsody Mode, manually update the Firmware or format the internal memory. I am not in the slightest bit interested in learning such skills. I suspect we have a serious design flaw here which must be addressed by one of the architects of this unit. If such knowledge of computers and their workings are required to maintain such a diminutive and innocuous device, perhaps there should be a disclaimer on the package which will discourage idiots like me from buying such a unit in the future.

I seem to have resolved the issue on my own by fumbling about: I connected the unit to my computer and saw that 3.7 GB of memory was used. I then began to erase everything on it. Some of the files refused to be erased. After attempting several cyclings of on-off, disconnecting-reconnecting, and other such shenanigans, I somehow shook enough sense into the thing to allow me to dislodge the recalcitrant files and delete them. Now there seems to be nothing in the units memory, and it appears to be working once again. 

Scandisk: are you there? Do you have any input for me? Would you be able to explain what has happened here and how to avoid it in the future? 

ScanDisk Here.

Just make sure you stop recording before the battery runs out.

@sansafix wrote:
ScanDisk Here.

Just make sure you stop recording before the battery runs out.

LOL *dies laughing*

@clayman43 wrote:

Mr. niko_sama, thankyou very much once again for attempting to help me.

I seem to have resolved the issue on my own by fumbling about: I connected the unit to my computer and saw that 3.7 GB of memory was used. I then began to erase everything on it. Some of the files refused to be erased. After attempting several cyclings of on-off, disconnecting-reconnecting, and other such shenanigans, I somehow shook enough sense into the thing to allow me to dislodge the recalcitrant files and delete them. Now there seems to be nothing in the units memory, and it appears to be working once again. 

Glad you got it working :slight_smile:

To bypass the shenanigans of deleting files theres a FORMAT command located at

Settings>Format>Select Yes

This is pret-ty lame.