Sansa Clip 01.01.29 Latest Firmware Download

The manual states that the Clip handles MP3s down to 64Kbps.  Has that changed with this firmware update?  I often download Podcasts that are about a quarter of this (17Kbps).  Looks like it could be a problem.

As for songs, has anyone played around with lower resolution Ogg-Vorbis files.  Most of mine are 112Kbps but I do still have some down to 45Kbps that sound good.  I was wondering if these would play.  What is the resolution cutoff, if any, for Ogg-Vorbis files?  The Ogg-Vorbis capability is the primary reason I’m considering this device so it is a deal maker/breaker.

It seems to support even lower bitrates. I’ve had mp3s at 32kbps on it and it played those too.

As for Vorbis: I used the aoTuV b5a encoder(oggenc2.exe) to encode to q-1(48kbps) and q-2(32kbps) and both played fine.

WoW! Why was this not publicized?! Being able to use some 32Kbs spoken-word files instead of my 64Kbs(which were converted down from higher bitrates) will free up alot of space for me…as well as increase sound quality (The original 32K files sound better than the 64’s which were converted from higher…)

Might just have to update to the new FW now!

Cllipman wrote: WoW! Why was this not publicized?! Being able to use some 32Kbs spoken-word files instead (…)

Might just have to update to the new FW now!

I don’t think the ability to play lower kbps than the specs actually promises (64) is new? I can faintly remeber it being mentioned previously in this forum…  …(hold on)… Yep here it is

Yay I can add my mp3 format audio book into the audio book folder now! Thanks! This lil’ device has been an upgrade so far from my now defunct ipod shuffle.  I’ve had my  sansa clip for 3 days now.

Sasafrass you are at 10 hours playback time at 50 % remaining and you are complaining??

As I mentioned before, I had nearly 17 hrs(total) with the .11 firmware, & this is not the case with the newest firmware. I’m currently at 35% after 11 1/2 hrs of use. As it stands right now, that equates to 2 1/2 hrs less than the original firmware! That’s a pretty significant difference, IMO… I’ve been using the Clip 30 minutes at a time, so I’ll see if it’s still at 35% after another 30 minutes. But I’m guessing it won’t be, & since it’s generally recommended not to discharge it too deeply, I’ll be fully charging it at 28% which means I only get 12 hrs between charges, instead of 14 1/2. The problem is that the meter drops faster when it reaches the point where I’m at right now. Why is it designed this way? That only means less playtime between charges, which makes no sense to me, especially when I end up with below average playtime!

@sansafix wrote:
Sasafrass you are at 10 hours playback time at 50 % remaining and you are complaining??

The battery level scaling is different,  so on the previous firmware the 25% reading was wrong, it was more like 5% remaining.

Now when you see 25% remaining its really 25% remaining.  Let is go all the way down to 7% or empty shell.  Its  not going to affect the players battery of life.

The power consumption is unchanged, and the shutdown voltage is unchanged.  The battery time remaining has been linearized and thats it! 

I understand, however, that doesn’t explain the shorter amount of playtime. I’ll let it go to empty & see what the total playtime is, but I’m not hopeful…

@sansafix wrote:
The battery level scaling is different, so on the previous firmware the 25% reading was wrong, it was more like 5% remaining.

Now when you see 25% remaining its really 25% remaining. Let is go all the way down to 7% or empty shell. Its not going to affect the players battery of life.

The power consumption is unchanged, and the shutdown voltage is unchanged. The battery time remaining has been linearized and thats it!

Message Edited by Sasafrass452 on 06-09-2008 04:04 PM

It all still boils down to one main point: short of hiding a chip of plutonium in there, these wee beasties get an amazing service life out of a battery the size of a postage stamp.

I am not bothered by worrying over squeezing every last possible minute out of the device, since there are only so many hours in an average day’s listening.  It’s preferable, in my book, that the indicator isn’t overly optimistic, lest those minutes run out sooner than I expect.

I’m glad that SanDisk has chosen accuracy over fluff!

On that note, is it possible that the wee green battery indicator of the e200 and Fuze will get finer pixels, rather than quarters?  The new indicator is excellent!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Maybe it’s just me, but before I posted a slew of messages expressing my outrage over the battery life being reduced, I think I’d at least take the basic step of actually testing the battery life.

You do realize the percentage remaining is just an *estimate* based on the battery voltage, right?  And that the way the estimate is computed has been changed in the new firmware version (per the message you quoted), which could explain exactly what you’re seeing?

I suggest making a root category for Audiobooks and Podcasts since they’re not Music and it would ease the navigation.

I think they should make the Clip able to cut pickles, where ya can get those fancy little crinkley ridges in them!

well, my clip actually drained from 100% too 68% after full charge and leaving it there overnight turned off… why is it like that.

It’s defective, you’ll need to exchange it.

@syaoran wrote:
well, my clip actually drained from 100% too 68% after full charge and leaving it there overnight turned off… why is it like that.

It possibly could be a software issue (based on others’ reports).  Try:  reapply the .20 firmware; and then reapply the .29 firmware, and see if that helps (it sometimes has with others).

Can anyone tell me how roll back Sansa Clip to the original Firmware?  After updating to ver 01.01.29 the device will no longer mount under Linux Fedora 7.  Help please…???

Here’s the link to the .20 firmware–you reapply it to “roll back” to that version of firmware.  (I’m not sure about the Linux side of life, though–a Windows boy here.)

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&thread.id=2946

Many thanks for the link, I’ll give that a try.  The original Firmware on the Clip 4 I purchased this week was .19 (which connected easily to Fedora 7) but hopefully .20 will get it connected.

As I mentioned, some people have reported that downgrading and then re-upgrading again does the trick; good luck!