Sansa Clip 01.01.29 Latest Firmware Download

I have another problem. I connected my clip with usb cable to computer, and he just dont want to turn on. I tryied everything, it doesnt working. I connect him while hold button is on, and then turn powerr on = NOTHING, i tried to connect him while button is in middle and same again. I just dont know what to do. He started to behave like that when i tried to update firmware, but it wasnt even installed on computer, cuz i was getting a message "unable to install new hardware blabla… probably cuz i have XP SERVICE PACK 1…

afterall he doesnt want to turn on… i tried to connect my camera with computer via same usb cabl, its working, so he is good. What to do?

Have you tried it:  on switch in hold position, and then hold the center button down while connecting the USB cord between Clip and computer?  You need both sides of this.

FLAC–Nice!

Will it be gapless playback? Maybe FLAC is gapless on all players–hardware as well as software–not sure as I’m only familiar with software players.

@kcsunapee wrote:

Will it be gapless playback? Maybe FLAC is gapless on all players–hardware as well as software–not sure as I’m only familiar with software players.

I wouldn’t count on it.  FLAC is inherently gapless, but the player would have to read and buffer the next track before the end of the current track for there to be no gap.  If it doesn’t load the next track until the current one has ended then there will be a gap due to file access delay.  Something tells me the Sansa players don’t prebuffer the next track, but I could be wrong.

I’ve completed a 2nd test of the battery life, & the results are NOT GOOD. This was done under the same conditions as before, & it lasted just over 13 hrs, which is LESS than the first test I did(13 hrs, 45 min)!!! I’m sorely disappointed about this. I sincerely hope the next firmware fixes this problem, which I’ve once again proven to exist. I want my 3 hrs back!!!

I’ve tried it a few times, but I fall asleep before the Clip runs out of juice.  The Clip wins!  Its battery lasts longer than mine.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

I only get about 11 hours out of mine with the 20 firmware- which is O-K for a $50 DAP with awesome sound quality. If it drops after upgrading to 29 though…I’ll have a problem. (And if I had formerly gotten 17 hours, like Sassafrass did, and lost 4 hours…I think I’d be worried too)

Running with Rhapsody tracks, 160KBPS WMA DRM, the processor is busy enough, and I still run past 12 hours without issues.  If I’m listening to an audiobook at a slower data rate, the thing acts like it’s fueled by plutonium.

For travel, I’m going to fabricate a wee 5v regulated USB power supply for my Sansas.

Then I’ll be ready to climb Mt. Everest with music the whole trip.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

First, Love the clip, love the support you give it.  One recommendation for the firmware though. 

Stop me if you’ve heard this one… I searched and only found one post regarding a different model, same idea.

Current behaviour - When charging if the unit is disconnected, the firmware updates the DB and starts the unit in play mode.

Recommended change - After updating the DB and such, either power off, or power on in PAUSE so if unattended, it will power off.

So many situation lead to bad results.

1.  Charged it the night before a 5  hour flight.  Last thing before bed I yanked it and tossed it in my bag.  Pull it out on the plane… no battery.  D’oh!  This was my first lesson.  Now I know I have to look at it and power it off or hit pause.

2.  Plugged it in to the PC to charge.  Shut down the PC at the end of the day.  Next morning, it’s at half battery because it’s been playing to noone all night.  (Having it’s own little party without me.)

I don’t see the bonus in the current logic.  I’d rather have to hit a button to make it play (or power on) after pulling the plug.  Then it’s consistent in all situations.  Whether it was charging or just sitting on the table, you power it up to listen to tunes.

Here’s the thread of the other guy with a different unit talking about the same issue.  He got some goofy responses due to his description (and maybe his tone of entitlement.)  Me, I’ll adjust and still love the unit.  But everything else in the firmware is logical and user friendly so I thought I’d toss out the suggestion.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=e200&message.id=19019&query.id=22225#M19019

Message Edited by Down2TheC on 07-26-2008 07:39 AM

I’ve been using a clip for months and have never seen the behaviour you are describing, either when charging off the computer or wall charger.  I always pause whatever I’m playing before charging and it stays that way after unplugging.

Did you have the unit playing while charging on a wall charger?  I could see where that might have it keep playing when you unpluged it… but you would not be seeing the DB update message.

When unplugged from the computer the clip rebuilds the DB and doesn’t even know what song to play.

Maybe you somehow hit the play button when putting the clip in your bag?

That’s true.  It comes back to whatever play state it was in last.  I turn mine off when I’m done listening, and most often it’s off when I plug it in for charging.  So if I make a habit of pausing rather than powering off, I’ll have no troubles.  Like I said, it’s managable once you learn the hard way.  But I design software and still think the above recommendation would be more logical and usable. 

For now I’ll just get in the habit of pausing when I’m done like you.  (Though there’s something satisfying about seeing it say Goodbye)

Thanks for the info.

I had a problem with my Sansa Clip showing that I needed to remove 30 mb to restore function. But since I am running it on a MAC I couldn’t figure out how to do it. It was locked up and I couldn’t do anything. Then I figured out to got to my disk utility (applications > utilities > disk utility) and treat it as a disk. Used disk repair to get rid of the corruption, and then totally reset by using the reformat utility on the settings menu on the Sansa itself. Works perfectly now.

Just bought the Clip today because of the Ogg support. Love it.

One bug. If the album title is numerical (e.g. 2112), it shows as Unknown. Changing it to TwentyOneTwelve, everything is fine. It’s an Ogg file.

EDIT:Never mind, it was the case-sensitive bug. (Wish there was an “embarrassed” emoticon.)

Chuck

Message Edited by r_f_o_t on 07-29-2008 10:29 PM

Message Edited by r_f_o_t on 07-29-2008 10:30 PM

Ran into the ‘clip hangs on refresh database’ problem, after copying over some new songs to the player. Found some helpful posts in the forum, installed the latest firmware (i.e. the one that this thread is about), and problem solved! Thanks for your support guys (forum & developers) - really loving the Clip. Am a linux user so love the linux support too. Will definite look at Sansa for my next player (when the time comes) and recommend to others - after-purchase support makes all the difference!

thanks again! 

Glitch:  Ability to add a song to the “To Go List” works by pressing and holding the " Center Button" in Navigation mode. Users can add individual tracks to the “To Go List”, on the fly, when navigating at the Song level. In Albums, Artists, Genres, Playlists, Top Rated, etc. Additional press and hold will remove existing songs from the “To Go List”.

Argh.  Please fix this. This fature was added to the 01.01.20a firmare.

I finally updated my firmware from 20a to 29a…and it decreased the ammount of playtime I get to under 10 hours!!! This is unacceptable! (and that is just listening to MP3 files at 64 & 128 kbs.). As I recall, a few others have reported this problem- what is the fix for it? (I’d like to keep the 29a because of it’s improvement to the shuffle feature and the audiobook improvements. MKy Clip has been lightly used- I was only charging my battery about once every two weeks…until I installed the 29a…)

Thankyou for reaffirming what I knew all along…

@cllipman wrote:
I finally updated my firmware from 20a to 29a…and it decreased the ammount of playtime I get to under 10 hours!!! This is unacceptable! (and that is just listening to MP3 files at 64 & 128 kbs.)

@sasafrass452 wrote:
Thankyou for reaffirming what I knew all along…

@cllipman wrote:
I finally updated my firmware from 20a to 29a…and it decreased the ammount of playtime I get to under 10 hours!!! This is unacceptable! (and that is just listening to MP3 files at 64 & 128 kbs.)

I love the Clip- but I am starting to get disgusted! It seems every time they fix one thing with a FW update…they break something else!!! (The only thing that keeps me from feeling really bad, is thinking about how crappy iPods are…and the fact that if they were the only things on the market, I’d never have an MP3 player…)

Message Edited by Cllipman on 08-11-2008 11:17 AM

I know what you mean… If the next firmware doesn’t fix the problem, I’ll be looking for a different mp3 player. In fact, I’ve already looked around amazon.com a bit…

@cllipman wrote:

I love the Clip- but I am starting to get disgusted! It seems every time they fix one thing with a FW update…they break something else!!! (The only thing that keeps me from feeling really bad, is thinking about how crappy iPods are…and the fact that if they were the only things on the market, I’d never have an MP3 player…)

I haven’t read all 22 pages of comments about this fireware but I am somewhat disgruntled by the loss of the ability to make golists of podcasts (without changing there genre titles on my computer before transfering them to the Clip)

Certainly this is a mistake.

Will it be corrected?