Sans Fuze is not charging

My device is not charging on my laptop. I have charged it using my laptop several times. It is showing as ‘connected’ but the green flashing battery “juice” or yellow lightning charging sign are not how they usually are in charging mode. I am travelling so I don’t have too many other options to charge and my battery is running really low! Please help!! Thanks!

@timon333 wrote:
My device is not charging on my laptop. I have charged it using my laptop several times. It is showing as ‘connected’ but the green flashing battery “juice” or yellow lightning charging sign are not how they usually are in charging mode. I am travelling so I don’t have too many other options to charge and my battery is running really low! Please help!! Thanks!

Is your laptop plugged in?

yes my laptop is plugged in

Make sure your laptop’s power settings aren’t set to “power saver” or “low power”. Low power settings can interfere with charging via USB.

My laptop’s power settings are not set to “power saver” or “low power” mode. :frowning:

I would suggest picking up a charger adapter that plugs into the Cigarette lighter. I know my fuze wont charge when I plug it into my laptop when I travel because I plug the lappy into an adapter for the lighter and it doesnt generate enough power to do both, so I charge the fuze while I have the lappy unplugged, and then switch. 

Do you know how to get to device manager?

DEVICE MANAGER > Right click each USB port (USB ROOT HUB). Select the POWER MANAGEMENT option. Ensure “Allow computer to turn off this device” is UNchecked. Also, if you choose the POWER tab at the top it should tell you how much power your USB port is generating. Should be 500 to charge the Fuze, I believe.

First things first - is the laptop still recognising the Fuze as a device when you plug it in? If not, try setting the Fuze to MSC mode (Settings->SystemSettings->USB Mode), and see if that helps.

I used an HP laptop for work for a while. It had a couple of USB ports which were able to deliver more power (for USB hard drives etc). I used those to power my player. Might be worth checking if your laptop has a similar setup. Peregrine’s advice should help - the amount of current the ports can deliver is shown in the Device Manager, as he says. More mA is better.

Also, try disconnecting any other USB devices & see if that helps.

And you’re not trying to connect through an unpowered USB hub are you?

If the laptop recognises the Fuze, but it still won’t charge, maybe the USB port on the laptop is broken. Happened to a collegue with the same HP laptop as mine after he connected a dodgy USB HDD. If so, as a work-round, you could buy a powered USB hub & connect the Fuze via that.

And finally, the Fuze USB cable, or the Fuze itself maybe faulty. If you can, try it on someone else’s PC. In MSC mode, almost any PC/Linux box/MAC should charge it.

Message Edited by daytona955 on 05-27-2009 08:53 AM