Sandisk's attitude towards folder navigation?

@jk98 wrote:

None exist that have all the features I want. So few players even have a card slot. Finding one that browses by folders, has a user replaceable battery with inexpensive spare batteries(AA or AAA battery preferred),  that plays 16 kbps mp3 and WMA files, and  has bookmarks seems to be almost impossible. i also want both AM and FM radio, although I could carry a separate radio for that. Another thing I want is a microphone jack and advanced recording features(mp3 recording, record level setting, etc.).

I think what you are looking for is the digital equivelant to this:

Wenger Giant Swiss Amry knife 

As you have obviously done your homework and researched what is available in the marketplace, you surely must’ve come to the conclusion that nobody is making what you deem to be the perfect mp3 player. Shouldn’t that tell you something? Like maybe you need to lower your expectations or shorten your ‘wish’ list? Or realize that if nobody is incorporating these features or functions that you consider so vital or necessary maybe they really aren’t?

There’s got to be a reason why at least some of these companies are not building your ‘dream machine’. As discussed in another thread recently, the technology field, especially electronic technology may abandon current or ‘standard’ products that work very well in favor of what’s newest, smallest, cutting-edge stuff whether it’s superior or not. That’s just the way it is.

I think the only way you are going to find what you are looking for is to build it yourself. Let us know when you’ve got it complete and we’ll see how many you sell.

@jk98 wrote:

None exist that have all the features I want. So few players even have a card slot. Finding one that browses by folders, has a user replaceable battery with inexpensive spare batteries(AA or AAA battery preferred),  that plays 16 kbps mp3 and WMA files, and  has bookmarks seems to be almost impossible. i also want both AM and FM radio, although I could carry a separate radio for that. Another thing I want is a microphone jack and advanced recording features(mp3 recording, record level setting, etc.).

I think what you are looking for is the digital equivalent to this:

Wenger Giant Swiss Amry knife 

As you have obviously done your homework and researched what is available in the marketplace, you surely must’ve come to the conclusion that nobody is making what you deem to be the perfect mp3 player. Shouldn’t that tell you something? Like maybe you need to lower your expectations or shorten your ‘wish’ list? Or realize that if nobody is incorporating these features or functions that you consider so vital or necessary maybe they really aren’t?

There’s got to be a reason why at least some of these companies are not building your ‘dream machine’. As discussed in another thread recently, the technology field, especially electronic technology may abandon current or ‘standard’ products that work very well in favor of what’s newest, smallest, cutting-edge stuff whether it’s superior or not. That’s just the way it is.

I think the only way you are going to find what you are looking for is to build it yourself. Let us know when you’ve got it complete and we’ll see how many you sell.

I love my Fuze.  I just went on vacation, and it performed and sounded beautifully.  However, I have to put a vote in for folder navigation too after all of the trouble I’ve had with song and track sorting on the Fuze’s external memory.  It seems that this wouldn’t be a problem with folders, but I may be wrong.  Whatever the case, I’m still sticking with the Fuze until the bitter end.

All the best.

Folder navigation is high on our list for enhancements next year.

-SansaFix

"Folder navigation is high on our list for enhancements next year.

-SansaFix "

Wow! Thanks Sansafix! Any chance we could see a premium Slotmusic player with a display and sound quality at least equal to the Fuze? Any chance we could see other AA or AAA battery based players from Sandisk next year? Any chance Sandisk could abandon the proprietary connector on future players, and use a standard mini USB connector like on the Clip? I hate having to disconnect the earphones on my Fuze to press the release on the USB cable’s connector to disconnect the USB cable from the player. I would like to leave the earphones connected to the player all the time, but can’t do this on the Fuze.

@jk98 wrote:
"Folder navigation is high on our list for enhancements next year.

-SansaFix "

Wow! Thanks Sansafix! Any chance we could see a premium Slotmusic player with a display and sound quality at least equal to the Fuze? Any chance we could see other AA or AAA battery based players from Sandisk next year? Any chance Sandisk could abandon the proprietary connector on future players, and use a standard mini USB connector like on the Clip? I hate having to disconnect the earphones on my Fuze to press the release on the USB cable’s connector to disconnect the USB cable from the player. I would like to leave the earphones connected to the player all the time, but can’t do this on the Fuze.

Personally, I’m happy with the Fuze hardware, and since its what I’ve got, I’m not to eager to see something totally better come out anytime soon.  I’m just happy that folder navigation seems to be a priority.  Just like ogg/flac support, sleep timer, file limit, etc, SanDisk really seems to be keen on picking up the most popular and desired features, and working hard to implement them in both the past and the future, so I really appreciate that they have included folder navigation in their list of goals, instead of ignoring everything and just giving us a few games or something, as many other companies seem to do. 

@jk98 wrote:

Any chance Sandisk could abandon the proprietary connector on future players, and use a standard mini USB connector like on the Clip? I hate having to disconnect the earphones on my Fuze to press the release on the USB cable’s connector to disconnect the USB cable from the player. I would like to leave the earphones connected to the player all the time, but can’t do this on the Fuze.

As long as there are Docks that use the existing connector, that probably outweighs the advantage of changing to miniUSB + a second for AV out and remote control.  That’s not to say they couldn’t move the earphone jack.

The connector may be proprietary, but they don’t seem to be gouging on the price of spare cables either compared to a standard USB. 

@sansafix wrote:

-SansaFix

That’s wonderful to hear; thank you fo rletting us know.

@sansafix wrote:

-SansaFix

Well, that was fast.  I guess it’s a Christmas miracle…or something close to it.

it isn’t just the cost of a replacement cable, but also the inconvenience of having to get one, and the inconvenience of having a separate cable connected to a USB port when one already has a few devices with a mini USB connector.

@sansafix wrote:

-SansaFix

Oh man . . . You sure let the genie out of the bottle now! :dizzy_face:

You’ll be sorrry. :wink:

@sansafix wrote:

-SansaFix

Great to hear! If I ever lost my fuze or something happened to it, I could easily say to myself, “I’m getting a sansa player for sure. No second guessing.” I can live without the option to view by folders or file names but if it was implemented, that would make newer players almost unbeatable.

Unless we get some sort of crazy alien technology :wink:

sansafix wrote:

-SansaFix

Very good to hear this!   :smiley:

I agree that the Sansa Fuse hardware is already good enough!

@sansafix wrote:

Excellent!

Folder navigation will help the Fuze work more as an extension of our computers, which I think is intuitive for any computer user.

Playlists require the use of third-party software, which is just a pain in the butt for many folks.

Personally, I bought the Fuze because it didn’t require that I add more software to my PC.They had me at “Drag and drop.”

Having the ability to arrange music in folders, then play music from specific folders, reflects how we store music on our PCs. It’s a natural, logical evolution for media devices.

Great to hear Sansa is interested in this idea.

My thumb up to Sandisk!  They are making business sense here since major software update will require justification.  The idea of folder navigation will appeal more to potential buyers and new users than owners of the Fuse, just like myself.  Since I’ve already taken the pain to update all my music library, and the time to learn the art of tagging music, but still folder navigation will be a plus for me, since I do not need to use a computer to make playlist anymore.

Obviously this feature would be MUCH appreciated on the Sansa Clip, as well.  Any chance we might see an update for this?

I don’t need no steenking playlists! :stuck_out_tongue:

@mp34me wrote:

Obviously this feature would be MUCH appreciated on the Sansa Clip, as well.  Any chance we might see an update for this?

Since the fuze and the clip are very similar in hardware, I can’t see why they wouldn’t add it to the clip as well. After all, when you have a small screen, it would be much faster to just navigate to a folder and play the songs that you’d like instead of going artist>album>song or waiting for playlists to load.

Well, yowsah and whoop-de-do about folder navigation. More options are always better. But really–using mp3tag and changing the Genre tag to, for instance, 01folder, 02folder, 03folder, etc. takes about 20 seconds and accomplishes the same thing. Unless you’re really into having your files played in alphabetical order. It’s still not going to rename podcasts. 

ID3 tags are much more flexible, powerful and, dare I say, sensible. Folders are for people who had to learn to work around the limitations of computers and have developed cyber-Stockholm syndrome. 

Guaranteed, on this board you’ll be seeing complaints from people who accidentally set their units in folder mode and can’t find anything any more.