SanDisk Sport FW 1.27 messing up audiobooks

I just bought a SanDisk Sport 8GB device and upgrade to the lastest FW 1.27.

I had bought a SanDisk mp3 player several years before and had terrible problems with messed up automatically generated album entries within the players menus. I spend days in editing the ID3 tags but never found a solution. Now I thought after all these years SanDisk devices should run stable and bought another one for my daughter… How naive…

But I give it one try maybe I’m doing something wrong after all. Hopefully somebody from SanDisk gives me some advise on it. Otherwise I’ll return it and will never ever buy anything from SanDisk again.

I have two folders with CD1 and CD2 of an audiobook inside an authors folder. It looks like this on Windows:

File_Structure1.jpg

File_Structure2.jpg

As far as I can see the tags are edited ok. Now I copy this authors folder (including the two CD folders) into the audiobooks folder of the SanDisk device, disconnect it so that it generates the media entries.

What the device does is generating one single entry called “Nella-Propel” (cut off) where all the files from the two directories are located at once. Why on earth does it not generate two seperate entries according to either the directory names or the album names? And why does it cut off the name at all however this name is generated.

I tried viewing your 2 screen capture pictures using two different web browsers on my PC but they do not show up. 

  (Just seeing large triangle place-holders)

Possibly the SanDisk Forum structure does not allow embedded pictures?

Anyways, as one suggestion, try using album names in your mp3 tags like these:

   cd1 Nella-Propel

   cd2 Nella-Propel

Then make sure the track numbers are 2-digit and they match the chapter number for each CD.

Please report back here so a few SanDisk Forum guru members can provide additional assistance.

I try again to post the screenshots. The post preview shows everything correctly. But I also only see the triangles.

File_Structure1.jpg

  File_Structure2.jpg

Thanxs for your advise, but that’s what I already did. Hopefully the screenshots are visible now, there you can see it:

The file directories of the two CDs have different names:

  • NellaPropellaCD1
  • NellaPropellaCD2

The file names within each CD start with a two digit track number (leading zero).

The title tag of each mp3 file is the same as the file number (starts also with two digit track number, leading zero).

The album tag of the mp3 files are (depending on CD1 or CD2):

  • Nella-Propella1
  • Nella-Propella2

So from my point of view everything is named unique. So no reason to cut off the name and merge it all under one name.

OK. Here is one quick suggestion for album titles in the mp3 tags:

(depending on CD1 or CD2):

  • 01 Nella-Propella
  • 02 Nella-Propella

Good Luck !!!

I tried your suggestion and used the following as album title tags:

  • 01 Nella-Propella
  • 02 Nella-Propella

Now the device doesn’t merge everything any more under one album but the displayed audiobook titles are cut off. It shows:

  • 01 Nella-Pro
  • 02 Nello-Pro

This is of course also not acceptible. What a ridiculous device…

On first sight it seems there is a length limitation in the title and it simply cuts off the rest. But I also tried other audiobooks with much longer titles: Here many more characters are shown until some in the end are cut off. The display switched to some auto scrolling displaying these longer titles.

I guess the only solution is to return it and try a device from some other manufacturer. I just hope other manufacturers are better…

You are correct in your analysis of the truncated album titles. The device will sometimes only display the first 12 characters in the vertical scrolling selection window. That is why I suggested you to use the 2-digit CD number at the beggining of the album titles. The horizontal auto-scrolling of the full title occurs during playback of one audio file. Best results with all of this are observed using ID3 tag format v2.3 ISO-8859-1.

You may decide these restrictions are unacceptable for your needs. You may want to look into an iPod Nano managed with iTunes software.

For myself, the truncated titles and file sorting restrictions are a minor nuisance compared to the excellent form-factor, audio quality, convenience of removable memory cards, long battery life and economical price range.

You are correct in your analysis of the truncated album titles. The device will sometimes only display the first 12 characters in the vertical scrolling selection window. That is why I suggested you to use the 2-digit CD number at the begining of the album titles. The horizontal auto-scrolling of the full title occurs during playback of one audio file.

    Best results with all of this are observed using ID3 tag format v2.3 ISO-8859-1.

You may decide these restrictions are unacceptable for your needs. You may want to look into an iPod Nano managed with iTunes software.

For myself, the truncated titles and file sorting restrictions are a minor nuisance compared to the excellent form-factor, audio quality, convenience of removable memory cards, long battery life and economical price range.