Sandisk fuze not connecting

I know this has been talked about in nausium but nothing posted helps.  I have a Sandisk fuze 8gb and when connecting it to my Windows XP SP 2 pc it does not connect no matter what mode the setting on the fuze is set to.  I tried both MTP & MSC, I even uninstalled all the drivers for the USB connections on the pc as well as removed them all from device manager allowing Windows to reinstall them (nothing helped).  I even tried every USB port (6) on my machine which didn’t work either.  I even tried the porting tool and no luck.  I tried it on my work laptop with the same Windows XP sp2 and it works fine there with no issues.  My issue is that there is something different between my laptop and my desktop but what is it?  I will not use my laptop since it is a work machine and my music is not on it and will not be on it.  My question is WTF is up with this device?  Any other USB device i ever used just plugs in and it is detected or at least it is seem by Windows as a storage device.  Can someone tell me what driver i am missing before I throw this peice of ■■■■ against the wall and then return it.  Again i have never had this kind of issue with ANY USB device.  PLEASE HELP US!!!

cfisch wrote:
I tried it on my work laptop with the same Windows XP sp2 and it works fine there with no issues. My issue is that there is something different between my laptop and my desktop but what is it? 

My question is *** (cleaned up for the kiddies) is up with this device? 

Since it connects easily to your laptop, logic would dictate (my favorite Spockism) that the problem lies with your other computer, not the device. So asking what’s up with it is really irrelevant. Maybe you should be asking Bill Gates what’s up with his Windows.

And throwing it against the wall before returning it would probably be a bad idea, unless of course you can afford discretionary indulgences like that. :stuck_out_tongue:

Did you try removing all other usb peripherals on your home pc, having the the Fuze set on msc mode,  and connecting the Fuze directly to a rear usb port on the pc, not using any hubs or usb extension cables?  I assume there is no card in the Fuze. If there is, then take it out.

Are you logged into your home pc as administrator? 

I know that the problem is in the OS but can someone tell me what the difference is?  Tapeworm, I already contacted Bill Gates and he directed me to you.  Can’t your Spockism tell me which driver is not correct.  This same pc works fine with all pnp devices including an older Sansa and SanDisk USB drives.  Shouldn’t this device just another removable drive.  Basically Windows picks up ALL other pnp devices except this one, so I feel it is the device is calling for a specific driver which was clobbered by some other SanDisk device way back when.

Mmmmm . . . MSC mode shouldn’t require a driver, only MTP would. You may have already tried this, but how 'bout swapping the cable from one of your other Sansa players (that is recognized)? Maybe the pins are just slightly too short to make a connection in the one for this Fuze.

If you are looking for MSC communication, select MSC mode on the device, plug in, and open the Device Manager.  Right click on the device in the USB Root Hub, and select Update driver, or Uninstall, then let Windoze do its thing.

Have you checked on this PC if it’s a specific port that may be having issues?

Bill Gates could have a look at those old Digital Research manuals, come to think of it.  He could use the practice.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I have tried both connection types and neither work.  I also have other USB devices which work but they are disconnected currently.  I just installed SP3 thinking that it would reinstall some drivers and no luck.  I also tried every port on the front or back and still same result.  I also tried the update driver and uninstall route and that didn’t work either.  The odd thing was that I looked in the registry and searched for Sandisk and it came back with a bunch of entries stating SanDisk Fuze, some of which were not allowed to be removed (WHY).  I thought this was just a generic mass storage device since I never installed any drivers.  As I said before it works on another machine so there is definitely something on this one preventing it from working.  So how does one find out what?  I would like to say that the machine is fine since ‘EVERYTHING’ works great except this device leading me to think the error is with the fuze not Windows.

@tapeworm wrote:
Mmmmm . . . MSC mode shouldn’t require a driver, only MTP would. You may have already tried this, but how 'bout swapping the cable from one of your other Sansa players (that is recognized)? Maybe the pins are just slightly too short to make a connection in the one for this Fuze.

tried that already

Do image backup. Boot w/ OS disk; format & clean install (or restore factory image). Run Win Update. Stick in the Fuze. If it works, it’s OS issue. Else, it’s hardware. Restore image backup.

It’s straightforward. But it’s not for noobs.

Or: Return it, get another toy, and hope your PC doesn’t spazz twice in a row.

FYI: When asking for help, don’t get an attitude and start spouting the F-word. Whiny brats aren’t loved by most. Also, give details. “It doesn’t connect” is like “my car doesn’t run”. Mindreaders don’t generally do free tech support. Lastly, find the right venue to ask. It’s a Windows problem in all likelihood, so find a Windows forum. Windows troubleshooting isn’t the main expertise here.

cfisch wrote:
I have tried both connection types and neither work.  I also have other USB devices which work but they are disconnected currently.  I just installed SP3 thinking that it would reinstall some drivers and no luck.  I also tried every port on the front or back and still same result.  I also tried the update driver and uninstall route and that didn’t work either.

Just going off of my feeble memory here, but I believe others have had similar experiences after updating to SP3.

Which is why I haven’t.

Message Edited by TomJensen on 05-03-2010 06:31 PM

SP3 should work just fine with your Fuze.  I’d like to confirm the basics first: does the Fuze display state “connected” when on the USB line?  Are you trying in MSC mode?  Lastly, does the Fuze display “wink”, dropping for a moment in brightness, when a connection is attempting on the Fuze side?

I can’t help but suspect a Registry issue with the PC.  Do you have a registry cleaner utility?

Bob  :dizzy_face: