Sandisk flash drives & Fuze

I’ve been reading this forum for some time now, but decided to post as just came across some interesting problem which, I believe was not discussed here yet.  At least, I could not find it.

As many users here, I’ve had numerous problems with Fuze, its communications with PC, and, of course, SMC.  The problems with various PCs were different.  I came to live with the idea that on one of my machines, Fuze in SMC mode, was recognized by PC as USB media, but not by SMC.  There was nothing I could do about it.  This weekend, while trying to resolve some issues with Fuze, I rebooted that machine.  And, bingo, SMC saw Fuze and displayed that nice graphic in top left corner.  As I went on working on computer, I tried it again - fine.  Then (three is a charm) I tried again… no luck this time.

I’ll skip the analysis and will bring you back to the conclusion.  It sees Fuze only when… there are NO Sandisk USB flash/thumb drives are inserted!  Yes, not any, but only Sandisk drives cause such an interesting phenomena!

It just so happened that I use USB drives a lot and most of them are from Sandisk.  That’s why it never worked for me before.  It is rather interesting that presense of one device from particular manufacturer causes problems for the other device from the same manufacturer recognition.

There are still some problems with file conversions by SMC, but I’m one step ahead.

Short of not using those drives, if anyone has any idea, please share.

@mohax wrote:

I’ve been reading this forum for some time now, but decided to post as just came across some interesting problem which, I believe was not discussed here yet.  At least, I could not find it.

As many users here, I’ve had numerous problems with Fuze, its communications with PC, and, of course, SMC.  The problems with various PCs were different.  I came to live with the idea that on one of my machines, Fuze in SMC mode, was recognized by PC as USB media, but not by SMC.  There was nothing I could do about it.  This weekend, while trying to resolve some issues with Fuze, I rebooted that machine.  And, bingo, SMC saw Fuze and displayed that nice graphic in top left corner.  As I went on working on computer, I tried it again - fine.  Then (three is a charm) I tried again… no luck this time.

I’ll skip the analysis and will bring you back to the conclusion.  It sees Fuze only when… there are NO Sandisk USB flash/thumb drives are inserted!  Yes, not any, but only Sandisk drives cause such an interesting phenomena!

It just so happened that I use USB drives a lot and most of them are from Sandisk.  That’s why it never worked for me before.  It is rather interesting that presense of one device from particular manufacturer causes problems for the other device from the same manufacturer recognition.

There are still some problems with file conversions by SMC, but I’m one step ahead.

Short of not using those drives, if anyone has any idea, please share.

that used to be a problem with me with the e200 series not the Fuze. I must say that your post puzzles me becaue I’ve had my Fuze for almost 18 months now and have never had a problem connecting it to either my computers or to SMC.This is just a guess but I know that some people have had problems working with the Fuze when it was on Autodetect…this feature was buggy on some players. I have had thumb drives connected while having my Fuze plugged in…everything worked fine. Maybe a USB MODE problem with your Fuze?. My thinking is whatever I’m doing the most with my Fuze: ie drag’n dropping music on it, I set the mode to MSC and just leave it there until I NEED to change it.

@oobergeek wrote:

that used to be a problem with me with the e200 series not the Fuze. I must say that your post puzzles me becaue I’ve had my Fuze for almost 18 months now and have never had a problem connecting it to either my computers or to SMC.This is just a guess but I know that some people have had problems working with the Fuze when it was on Autodetect…this feature was buggy on some players. I have had thumb drives connected while having my Fuze plugged in…everything worked fine. Maybe a USB MODE problem with your Fuze?. My thinking is whatever I’m doing the most with my Fuze: ie drag’n dropping music on it, I set the mode to MSC and just leave it there until I NEED to change it.

Ever since I learned what Autodetect is and that it defaults to M$ MTP, I use MSC mode, unless absolutely necessary.

And that was necessary on the other machine, which would convert (via SMC) only in that mode.  That got resolved recently as the machine had to be rebuilt.

So, the mode is MSC, OS is XP, and happens so far only with Sandisk USBs; non-Sandisk ones did not cause any issues.