Sandisk Clip Sport?

@tapeworm wrote:


@marvin_martian wrote:

So apparently the 16GB model sold overseas is once again not deemed suitable for US users?  :confounded:


 

Sorry to hear that. Especially relevant and unfortunate since the 2 memories (internal and card) cannot be combined. :cry:

Well, I hope that I am proven wrong, and that the 16GB model ends up being offered here.

Although I personally have been content with a 32GB card in a Zip ( I didn’t want to go through the hassle of re-formatting a 64GB card to FAT32) , and even now I only have a 16GB card in mine, there are people that want to carry everything with them, or use FLAC which eats up tons of space. 

 

Worst case I’m sure you’ll be able to buy the international version off Amazon or Newegg in the US.

The 16GB version will be offered in all regions. The release for the 16GB is still a few months out. It will have the same 4000 folder/file database limit for internal and 4000 folder/file limit for external memory. These databases are not combined and must be accessed separately.

Forum Admin

slotmonsta 

That’s good news, slotmonsta (about the 16GB version’s pending release)! If one exceeds the file/folder database limit, I assume they can still bypass the database and navigate to their full song collection through the folder browser, yes?

No, as far as the development team has specified the database limit is the limit of songs that can be displayed in any menu. 

Ah. Okay then. Another reason to cross my fingers for eventual Rockbox development. :wink:

Aak!  Did they drop the microphone?

The product information doesn’t have the word “microphone” anywhere!

I was figuring I would by the 16GB as soon as I could, go from 72 to 80GB effective, and 96x96 to 128x128 …

… But none of that is worth losing the microphone, to me!

Can someone confirm?  Does this have the mic the way the plus and zip do?

???

This player is built and marketed toward a very specific niche market so some features were dropped. The microphone I believe, was one of them.

I don’t know of anybody really wanting to record their heavy breathing while running, or grunts of pain and exertion while working out in the gym. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well… The whole targeting thing…

128x128, longer battery life, 16GB - those are NOT sports-specific features.

So, unless there is also going to be a “non-sport sport”…

Anyway, I’m disappointed in that one.

@toehser wrote:

So, unless there is also going to be a “non-sport sport”…

 

 

There is. It’s called the Clip Zip.

@tapeworm wrote:


@toehser wrote:

So, unless there is also going to be a “non-sport sport”…

 

 


There is. It’s called the Clip Zip.

But, that’s without a 25-hour battery and improved screen . . . .

@miikerman wrote:


@tapeworm wrote:


@toehser wrote:

So, unless there is also going to be a “non-sport sport”…

 

 


There is. It’s called the Clip Zip.


But, that’s without a 25-hour battery and improved screen . . . .

True, but it remains a fine player, even 2 and a half years later. :wink:

@miikerman wrote:

But, that’s without a 25-hour battery and improved screen . . . .

But that’s without the alleged 25-hour battery and improved screen.

Fixed that for 'ya . . . and the screen is claimed to be larger, but not any bettter.

Time will tell. :wink:

@marvin_martian wrote:

True, but it remains a fine player, even 2 and a half years later. :wink:

Yep.  But could be and ahould be better and improved and modernized at this point, if only SanDisk would pay attention to it.   :frowning:

@tapeworm wrote:

Time will tell. :wink:

I prefer to be optimistic and non-cynical this week . . . .    :wink:

Long time sandisk user.  I am on my 3rd Fuze V1 and have had several of the Clips.  The earphone jack and clip on my wife’s clip broke so like some others, we went to Best Buy to get a new one.  She didn’t want an Ipod and we saw the Sport and bought two of the 8gb versions.  I have to say, that I am quite dissapointed in it after a week of use.  I rockboxed one of my old Fuzes so I could use it instead of the brand new Sport.  The biggest disappointment is the fact that the internal memory and the card slot are separate in the database.  It has frustrated my wife greatly.    I am thinking of putting it away till they come up with a firmware fix or a rockbox solution.  Seems to me, that if somebody can get the bin file for the sport, that rockbox would be a simple fix as they already have working ports on the clip+ and Zip, which this sport is based on.

@okiera29 wrote:

The biggest disappointment is the fact that the internal memory and the card slot are separate in the database.

This was by design in this model. Do you like the increased battery play time (25 hrs.)? It’s a trade-off. I believe this is (at least partially) how SanDisk was able to squeeze extra play time out of it, by not being able to switch automatically between internal and external memory locations. This is especially relevant when you when you consider it has the same size battery but also has a larger LCD screen.

You want complete integration bewtween the 2 memory locations? Buy a Clip+ or Zip.

Separting the internal and external memory has no impact on battery life.    The difference in battery life is them updating to a newer processor that is a little bit more power efficient than the somewhat older AMS chip in the Zip. 

@tapeworm wrote:


@miikerman wrote:

But, that’s without a 25-hour battery and improved screen . . . .


 

But that’s without the alleged 25-hour battery and improved screen.

 

Fixed that for 'ya . . . and the screen is claimed to be larger, but not any bettter.

 

Time will tell. :wink:

At the anythingbutipod.com forum, a new Clip Sport user reported that after playing an audiobook for 24 hours, the Sport showed that its battery was still 1/3rd charged. 

Time has told.   :wink:

@miikerman wrote:


@tapeworm wrote:


@miikerman wrote:

But, that’s without a 25-hour battery and improved screen . . . .


 

But that’s without the alleged 25-hour battery and improved screen.

 

Fixed that for 'ya . . . and the screen is claimed to be larger, but not any bettter.

 

Time will tell. :wink:


At the anythingbutipod.com forum, a new Clip Sport user reported that after playing an audiobook for 24 hours, the Sport showed that its battery was still 1/3rd charged. 

 

Time has told.   :wink:

To be fair, audiobooks are also very low bitrate files. With higher bitrate/quailty music files, I’m sure more battery willl be used.  That said, it is an encouraging sign.