SanDisk Clip Sport Firmware 1.29 released

Oh, and to “fix” the non-alpha listing of files under the folder navigation method:

The explanation:  the player simply keeps a list of when files were added to it, and displays that same list, in that date order, under the folder navigation method.

The “fix,” to get a more helpful alpha ordering:  after adding new files to the player and while still connected to your PC, run any of a number of file sorting programs, which will place all the files in alpha order.  Often recommended:  FAT Sorter.  http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/File-Managemen​t/FAT-Sorter.shtml. While it’s a shame that the player does not take care of this automatically, at least the program is a quick run.

Oh, and to “fix” the non-alpha listing of files under the folder navigation method:

The explanation:  the player simply keeps a list of when files were added to it, and displays that same list, in that date order, under the folder navigation method.

The “fix,” to get a more helpful alpha ordering:  after adding new files to the player and while still connected to your PC, run any of a number of file sorting programs, which will place all the files in alpha order.  Often recommended:   freeware FAT Sorter.  http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/File-Managemen​​t/FAT-Sorter.shtml (note:  use the Softpedia download link option–the alternative External mirror download link did not work for me when I tried it just now).  While it’s a shame that the player does not take care of this automatically, at least the program is easy.

Just about to send you an email, thanks a bunch guys. One last thing, folder browsing doesn’t allow me to play shuffled songs right? I think the 1.28 FW is the way to go.

The player will shuffle audio files within the folder selected using FOLDER MODE.

Press the small button below the center Power/Select to reveal the Options menu. 

Your choice to Shuffle files  On/Off will be retained when you choose another folder.

@miikerman wrote:

The “fix,” to get a more helpful alpha ordering:  after adding new files to the player and while still connected to your PC, run any of a number of file sorting programs, which will place all the files in alpha order.  Often recommended:   freeware FAT Sorter.  http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/File-Managemen​​t/FAT-Sorter.shtml (note:  use the Softpedia download link option–the alternative External mirror download link did not work for me when I tried it just now).  While it’s a shame that the player does not take care of this automatically, at least the program is easy.

Thanks heavens for your suggestion, I own four Clip Sports and have been tearing my hair out trying to get my audiobook/podcasts to appear in my desired order. I’ve spent hours updating the firmware to 1.29 and writing and re-writing tags and nothing would work.

Is there any way this sorting can be fixed in the next firmware iteration to reflect the tag’s Title (alpha/non-alpha) or Track, instead of by the order that the file was added to the player?

I don’t know the answer to your question (I would guess, no, at this point in this Sport player’s life?  I’m assuming that the non-alpha issue is another casualty of the Sport’s less-powerful/capable microchip), but I wanted to point  out another FAT sorter software, Visual YAFS (“Yet Another FAT Sorter”).  A reason I like it is that it doesn’t need to be installed–you just run/open the execution file.  However, it runs on Java, and so Java needs to be installed on your PC (actually, better said, the Java Runtime Environment (which, seemingly, the “regular” Java download contains), version 8 or later–a link is provided).  For Windows, Linux and Mac OS X (although I have read that it could be a bit tricky to use on a Mac, as Apple doesn’t want Java on its systems, but there are work-arounds).

I already had Java on my PC (as many lf us do) and found Visual YAFS as a piece of cake.

http://www.luisrios.eti.br/public/en_us/projects/visual_yafs/

I don’t know the answer to your question (I would guess, no, at this point in this Sport player’s life?  I’m assuming that the non-alpha issue is another casualty of the Sport’s less-powerful/capable microchip), but I wanted to point  out another FAT sorter software, Visual YAFS (“Yet Another FAT Sorter”).  A reason I like it is that it doesn’t need to be installed–you just run/open the execution file.  However, it runs on Java, and so Java needs to be installed on your PC (actually, better said, the Java Runtime Environment (which, seemingly, the “regular” Java download contains), version 8 or later–a link is provided).  For Windows, Linux and Mac OS X (although I have read that it could be a bit tricky to use on a Mac, as Apple doesn’t want Java on its systems, but there are work-arounds).

I already had Java on my PC (as many of us do) and found Visual YAFS as a piece of cake.

http://www.luisrios.eti.br/public/en_us/projects/v​isual_yafs/

Glad that the sorting software met your needs.